• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks for Most Underrated Horror Movies

536 posts in this topic

Another greatly underrated film (that probably counts more as a scifi/drama) that has some horror elements is Donnie Darko. I was obsessed with this film when It was first released on dvd.

Talk about a movie that requires a directors cut to truly understand the significance of all the important things that take place in it.

I think Donnie Darko is the only movie I was ever mad at when it was over. I was so damn confused. And then it just ended. I probably should watch it again.

My favorite movie. :cloud9: Watch it again.

Another greatly underrated film (that probably counts more as a scifi/drama) that has some horror elements is Donnie Darko. I was obsessed with this film when It was first released on dvd.

Talk about a movie that requires a directors cut to truly understand the significance of all the important things that take place in it.

I think Donnie Darko is the only movie I was ever mad at when it was over. I was so damn confused. And then it just ended. I probably should watch it again.

My favorite movie. :cloud9: Watch it again.

:headbang:

I wouldn't call it horror, but the bunny can be scary.

I agree. I wouldnt call it a horror movie either, although there are horror elements in it (It even gives a major reference to Evil Dead!). This movie is practically every genre rolled into one, or at least contains elements from every main genre. Definitely unique.

Again,just don't...if you do,don't be mad at me...

Cannibal Holocaust

Antichrist

Martyrs

Inside

Salo

August Underground

and of course Serbian Film.

I've watched a few of these. Which probably means something is wrong with me.

What? No Cannibal Ferox?

Is that Dr. Butcher M.D ?

No but close. Cannibal Holocaust is aka Dr. Butcher M.D.

Dr. Butcher is "Zombie Holocaust". Not Cannibal Holocaust

Make Them Die Slowly is "Cannibal Ferox"

doh! You are quite right!

Has anyone mentioned Audition (1999). My wife and I started watching it thinking it was a sweet little romantic movie. It's not.

All I can say is "kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri ". And she seemed such a sweet girl!

Audition is one of those films that start slowly but the intensity begins to set in...first questioningly and then, well, quite direct. It is done so "well" it is the rare film I have to force myself to watch certain scenes.

some THAT STICK IN MY MIND:

À l'intérieur (Inside), French movie with some SERIOUS shock value.

Tales From The Crypt (the original 1972 film), super dated now but they lined up around the block to see it back then.

Wolf Creek "based on a true story", very loosely I hope...

And here's a question in case there are any REAL horror movie buffs here. Does anyone know the name of a horror movie from the 60s or 70s that involves someone kidnapping a certain number of children in order to make a witch? It was either a British film or a low-budget American film. I think it opened with a rider galloping on horseback.

Brotherhood of Satan?

I don't think so, but that one looks interesting.

Speaking of shock value, anyone ever watch Faces of Death? They made like 12 of them. The producers say the footage is all fake, but some of the clips truly make me wonder.

I think I watched them all back in the day. The only scene I really remember is a bunch of people hitting monkeys on the head and then they cut it open and eat the brains. Looked real to me at the time.

Speaking of shock value, anyone ever watch Faces of Death? They made like 12 of them. The producers say the footage is all fake, but some of the clips truly make me wonder.

Some of the footage is real and some fake. I remember watching some of these as a kid with my friends daring each other to watch it.

First two were crazy. Some did look real.

First two were crazy. Some did look real.

Traces of Death is ALL real.

Worked at a video store years ago and we ordered the box set for a guy.

It's marketed to "Death Enthusiasts" :o

xxx ooo

Rupp

I think I watched them all back in the day. The only scene I really remember is a bunch of people hitting monkeys on the head and then they cut it open and eat the brains. Looked real to me at the time.

Fake monkey brains. After all these years.

Anyone seen Night of the Hunter? Robert Mitchum is great in it.

Which reminds me of another older film, Night (or Curse) of the Demon. Brilliantly atmospheric psychological horror film.

Worst thing I've ever watched - which was real - is "1 lunatic, 1 ice pick" :eek::sick:

Ah...Luka..yep,I am still a little messed from that.Lost a friend over letting them watch it....sick that Luka.

Wait...what?!?!

I might have skipped a few posts and missed it but has Switchblade Romance been mentioned?

Good slasher movies are few and far between but this one is an absolute cracker, mainly due to the epic ending. It's based on the mediocre Dean Koontz book - High Tension. The film is immeasurably superior.