• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"All things Inhuman"

593 posts in this topic

I've already read most all of them, having once owned many raw reader copies. I still have runs of the reprint titles (Marvel Tales, Marvel's Greatest Comics) so that I can read them again, too.

I was sure of that – on my part I have not read each and every one of them, and so working towards the completion has also the goal to read the most significant part of the Marvel age books, and maybe writing something about them.

I love the original editions more than the reprints because with the mail and text pages they give you an exact glimpse within their original timeframe, but of course in a reading logic would not make much sense to have a FF#1 or the more expensive ones… :)

Based on recent Ebay sales, it looks like FF 46 is starting to catch up to 45. I thought it would takes the official casting announcement of Black Bolt to get there but I guess not...

Toooons of shilling going on with FF46. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid on this book.

What makes you say that? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe the recent big FF46 sales weren't legitimate

What makes you say that? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe the recent big FF46 sales weren't legitimate

Even if they are legitimate – or precisely because they are (if they are), they are out of this world. Personally I am not going to encourage this… :shrug:

Even if they are legitimate – or precisely because they are (if they are), they are out of this world. Personally I am not going to encourage this… :shrug:

They might be rising a bit too high too quickly, approaching the ceiling faster than might be expected but I don't think the prices are that crazy. Marvel has been posturing Black Bolt to do big things for awhile now and he is arguably the face of the Inhumans. If the Inhumans are indeed Marvel's next big focus then it's not crazy to think that his first full appearance becomes a really high dollar book

They might be rising a bit too high too quickly, approaching the ceiling faster than might be expected but I don't think the prices are that crazy. Marvel has been posturing Black Bolt to do big things for awhile now and he is arguably the face of the Inhumans. If the Inhumans are indeed Marvel's next big focus then it's not crazy to think that his first full appearance becomes a really high dollar book

I own as many copies of 45 as I do of 46 so which one rises quicker matters little to me. I picked these up over the years because they were great stories, with great Kirby art and two of the best covers of the Silver Age. I always felt they were also severely undervalued so worth picking up. I happen to also believe that 46 is the more important comic because of Black Bolt and his importance to the Marvel Universe. That being said I agree both 45 and 46 have risen in value way too quickly. I expected more of a slow and steady rise vs. the explosion that has occurred. I also don't believe shilling can be blamed for this. I think we are seeing a new normal for key comics. Once collectors get anything close a movie or tv rumor there is a mad rush to get in before it is too late. If AF 15 and Hulk 1 have shown us anything is that the ceiling on our favorite comics can keep on rising way higher than we ever anticipated. I don't drink the Kool-aid on either of those books but I have learned market forces determine value on books and whether I like it or not it will happen anyway.

I own as many copies of 45 as I do of 46 so which one rises quicker matters little to me. I picked these up over the years because they were great stories, with great Kirby art and two of the best covers of the Silver Age. I always felt they were also severely undervalued so worth picking up. I happen to also believe that 46 is the more important comic because of Black Bolt and his importance to the Marvel Universe. That being said I agree both 45 and 46 have risen in value way too quickly. I expected more of a slow and steady rise vs. the explosion that has occurred. I also don't believe shilling can be blamed for this. I think we are seeing a new normal for key comics. Once collectors get anything close a movie or tv rumor there is a mad rush to get in before it is too late. If AF 15 and Hulk 1 have shown us anything is that the ceiling on our favorite comics can keep on rising way higher than we ever anticipated. I don't drink the Kool-aid on either of those books but I have learned market forces determine value on books and whether I like it or not it will happen anyway.

1. I agree with much of what you're saying.

2. However, I'm not sure we can take ideas gleaned from AF 15 and Hulk 1 and apply them THAT easily to FF 45/46. The former were megakeys even before their meteoric rise, while the latter were not and even now are not megakeys.

Agreed. I think it's really important to remember that the rise in numbers of collectors and speculators, paired with the movie hype effect means we're treading new ground, books are spiking up literally over night in some cases. There's not always going to be a good comparison for a FF46 or FF45, so the price ceiling is even harder to predict. That said, when is FF44 going to get a boost? Seems overdue.

+1

That run from 44-52 introduced some of the most amazing characters in comics period. Sucks that raw copies of the comics are getting harder to get, particularly 45,46, 48 and 52.

Agreed! I'm happy to have 44 through 47. Have a couple of 45s, one was too nice to read so I bought a lower grade copy, I just love that issue though, 44 is on par as well. I should be getting a 52 and 53 from a fellow boardie here this week, I can't wait! 48 is next on my list along w/ the first 10 FF's. FF36 is another great book to have, it's heating up but still under appreciated I think, that's another book I have 2 copies of, one for reading.

1. I agree with much of what you're saying.

2. However, I'm not sure we can take ideas gleaned from AF 15 and Hulk 1 and apply them THAT easily to FF 45/46. The former were megakeys even before their meteoric rise, while the latter were not and even now are not megakeys.

I may not have been clear. My intention was not to compare Ff 45 and 46 with THE two biggest Marvel Mega-keys. I really like Ff45 and 46 but they will never be AF 15 and IH 1.

My intention was to say AF 15 and IH 1 have been driven to stratospheric heights based on market forces and just when you think they have peaked they reach a new high. My dream has always been to own one or both of these icons but as much I would like those prices to go down so I could purchase one, I understand me wanting it and prices coming down are not within my control.

+1

That run from 44-52 introduced some of the most amazing characters in comics period. Sucks that raw copies of the comics are getting harder to get, particularly 45,46, 48 and 52.

Agreed! I'm happy to have 44 through 47. Have a couple of 45s, one was too nice to read so I bought a lower grade copy, I just love that issue though, 44 is on par as well. I should be getting a 52 and 53 from a fellow boardie here this week, I can't wait! 48 is next on my list along w/ the first 10 FF's. FF36 is another great book to have, it's heating up but still under appreciated I think, that's another book I have 2 copies of, one for reading.

Kirby and Stan Lee brilliance in that run. And yes 44 is undervalued. Just make sure you get a copy while it still is.

36 is definitely on the rise, wouldn't call it a sleeper at this point though, still think 44 and 47 are bigger sleeper issues at this point, strictly speaking from a price perspective. I'm curious as to how involved w/ the Inhumans Gorgon will be...could impact 44 a ton.