• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

And please don't start a 10 page diatribe about me taking it personally lol

And please enough of your bragging.

You have an odd definition of the word "bragging."

Also, your page counts are off.

Don't take it personally.

"lol"

There you go again - masking condescension? Your'e a funny guy! lol

And you are a braggart. So please, let me apologize. Or should I? You are pure logic. No intuition. The new Spock perhaps? Please don't take it personally. It's all in good humor? Wait, humor? Is that logical in a thread where logic dictates...

Yes, but you're using your incredible gift for logic (Quine, eat your heart out!) to create your own translation into what I'm saying - it's not dismissive. It's a question. That's why you're so amusing. lol

Right, because questions can't be framed dismissively, then....

And there you go again apologizing lol

I apologize for all the apologizing. Those responsible for the apologizing have apologized, and apologize for any further apologies.

And please don't start a 10 page diatribe about me taking it personally lol

And please enough of your bragging.

You have an odd definition of the word "bragging."

Also, your page counts are off.

Don't take it personally.

"lol"

There you go again - masking condescension? Your'e a funny guy! lol

And you are a braggart. So please, let me apologize. Or should I? You are pure logic. No intuition. The new Spock perhaps? Please don't take it personally. It's all in good humor? Wait, humor? Is that logical in a thread where logic dictates...

So, if you had only one opportunity in your life time to add only one of these books to your collection in CGC 9.2 which would it be?

Hulk 181

or

Cerebus 1

Remember, only one chance in a lifetime to pick one of these 2 books (and both happen to be CGC 9.2s with white pages).

Me personally? The Cerebus 1. But that has nothing to do with this discussion.

I would take a 35 cent Scooby Doo #1 over either of them, and I demand to see it crack the OSPG Top Ten immediately.

So would I

So, you're ok with never having Hulk 181 in your collection? A variant is more significant to you?

"What you collect sucks! What I collect RULES!!!"

:popcorn:

I don't have a problem with that. Hulk 181 along with GS X-Men 1 had such a tremendous impact on the history of the American Comic Book. The next 3 decades were dominated by the Mutants. And Wolverine stood as he does now, at the top of this age. Very easy to say what you don't have SUX,, but you can't say this particular book SUX. The fact that you prefer any book to Hulk 181 is your right but you can't say Wolverine's first appearance SUX just like you can't say the Spidey's first app. SUX too.

There are quotation marks for a reason. YOU are the one saying "what you collect sucks, what I collect rules!!, not I, which is the attitude you are displaying. I respect whatever someone is interested in collecting, and I give preference to those collectors who seek the truly scarce, difficult to obtain books.

I have owned multiple Hulk #181s. I have never even SEEN a Scooby Doo #1 35 cent variant in person.

See Oakman's sig line for further info.

A once in a lifetime opportunity to own an iconic book like Hulk 181 will for most collectors be a crowning achievement even if there are plenty around. Relatively speaking, there are plenty of AF 15s around too. In time, the many Hulk 181s will be sought after by future generations especially since Wolverine's staying power continues to rise. It's just a matter of time.

Hulk #181? Crowning achievement?

The Bronze Age equivalent to playing T-Ball?

No thanks.

I've got far bigger Detective Comics #27s to fry.

Don't put words in my mouth. That's not what I said. You really amuse me. And please don't apologize again. I can't stop laughing. lol

I didn't. That's what you said.

"So, you're ok with never having Hulk 181 in your collection? A variant is more significant to you?"

That translates into "what you collect sucks, what I collect rules."

You said it, I didn't.

The answer is quite obviously yes. Not everyone sees Hulk #181 as you do. And that's perfectly fine and wonderful. If everyone viewed Hulk #181 the way you do, it would be unobtainable for all except the richest, and everything else would be worthless.

You really are quite dismissive of those with whom you don't agree, aren't you?

I'm sorry if that confuses you.

Oops.

I'm sorry for apologizing.

Drat, did it again.

:cry:

Yes, but you're using your incredible gift for logic (Quine, eat your heart out!) to create your own translation into what I'm saying - it's not dismissive. It's a question. That's why you're so amusing. lol

I apologize for all the apologizing. Those responsible for the apologizing have apologized, and apologize for any further apologies.

There's the comeback! Fantastic! But I'm sure there's more?

I would take a 35 cent Scooby Doo #1 over either of them, and I demand to see it crack the OSPG Top Ten immediately.

So would I

So, you're ok with never having Hulk 181 in your collection? A variant is more significant to you?

"What you collect sucks! What I collect RULES!!!"

I don't have a problem with that. Hulk 181 along with GS X-Men 1 had such a tremendous impact on the history of the American Comic Book. The next 3 decades were dominated by the Mutants. And Wolverine stood as he does now, at the top of this age. Very easy to say what you don't have SUX,, but you can't say this particular book SUX. The fact that you prefer any book to Hulk 181 is your right but you can't say Wolverine's first appearance SUX just like you can't say the Spidey's first app. SUX too.

There are quotation marks for a reason. YOU are the one saying "what you collect sucks, what I collect rules!!, not I, which is the attitude you are displaying. I respect whatever someone is interested in collecting, and I give preference to those collectors who seek the truly scarce, difficult to obtain books.

I have owned multiple Hulk #181s. I have never even SEEN a Scooby Doo #1 35 cent variant in person.

See Oakman's sig line for further info.

A once in a lifetime opportunity to own an iconic book like Hulk 181 will for most collectors be a crowning achievement even if there are plenty around. Relatively speaking, there are plenty of AF 15s around too. In time, the many Hulk 181s will be sought after by future generations especially since Wolverine's staying power continues to rise. It's just a matter of time.

Hulk #181? Crowning achievement?

The Bronze Age equivalent to playing T-Ball?

No thanks.

I've got far bigger Detective Comics #27s to fry.

Don't put words in my mouth. That's not what I said. You really amuse me. And please don't apologize again. I can't stop laughing. lol

I didn't. That's what you said.

"So, you're ok with never having Hulk 181 in your collection? A variant is more significant to you?"

That translates into "what you collect sucks, what I collect rules."

You said it, I didn't.

The answer is quite obviously yes. Not everyone sees Hulk #181 as you do. And that's perfectly fine and wonderful. If everyone viewed Hulk #181 the way you do, it would be unobtainable for all except the richest, and everything else would be worthless.

You really are quite dismissive of those with whom you don't agree, aren't you?

I'm sorry if that confuses you.

Oops.

I'm sorry for apologizing.

Drat, did it again.

:cry:

Whether you intended it or not, "So, you're ok with never having Hulk 181 in your collection? A variant is more significant to you?" clearly implies "You would take some stupid variant over the awesome and supremely important first appearance of Wolverine? What kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person are you?" or simply "What I collect rules. What you collect sucks."

Well...I have logically decided that using logic here does not work,and am roasting my(broken) heart with rosemary and red wine.Who will end up having humble pie for dessert?Not me! Well,maybe a slice because of my sweet tooth.And I'm just a humble ol' porcupine.

And you are a braggart.

And you are an irrational condescender.

Now that we've labeled each other, what good does that do?

What's this? Do I sense emotion HAL?

Robot...RMA...must...deny...emotion.

(Say that with a 50's robot voice, to get the full effect.)

Whether you intended it or not, "So, you're ok with never having Hulk 181 in your collection? A variant is more significant to you?" clearly implies "You would take some stupid variant over the awesome and supremely important first appearance of Wolverine? What kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person are you?" or simply "What I collect rules. What you collect sucks."

Hard to argue with that.

And you are a braggart.

lol

And you are a braggart.

lol

There you go, I'm glad you're laughing again.

All that sulking was really getting me down.

:(

1) Prior to ebay, GPA, the internet, and cell phones, Overstreet relied on reports from dealers and LCS for its data. Guess what dude, it's 2014 now. He MAY still get SOME info that way still, but the vast majority of data is readily available to the public, and easily verifiable by anyone in this day and age.

2) The most recent sale of a Hulk 181 beats anything a Cerebus 1 has ever sold for in a 9.2. Don't have any public sales in a 9.2 for a Cerebus 1 in nearly 10 years? That's not Hulk 181's problem. Anything you "think" a 9.2 would go for now is just speculation. But estimates have been 2500-2800, based on the recent, verifiable sale of an 8.5 (fourth highest graded) which could barely eek out a meager $850.

1) Really? Would you care to show me sales data from every small local comic show, every major convention, every dealer website, etc. for the last year? Certainly more sales data is publicly available now than in 1980, but give me a break.

2) The most recent sale of Hulk 181 9.2 is also more than any Hulk 181 has sold for (at least recently, I don't know if any sold for more ten years ago or whatever). A single sale of a common book that sells regularly is nearly meaningless.

What is the value of Amazing Spider-Man Annual 21?

Well, since he believes a single recent sale is the actual value of a comic, I would like to publicly offer Jaydogrules my 9.0 copy of ASM Annual 21 for only $50. It's a great deal!

I would also like to extend the offer to anybody else who is interested if Jaydogrules is unfortunately unable to take me up on this amazing opportunity.

Please? Anybody?

The price of Cerebus 1 has been flat in a 9.4 for more than the last 10 years. Look at your own GPA numbers - A 9.4 sold for $9k this past March, which is more than $1k LESS than however many years ago the last 9.4 sold for.

So actually the book has DECLINED in value. Meanwhile Hulk 181 has been exploding in the last 12 months. What's the basis for your belief that a 9.2 has INCREASED in value when the value in its top grade has DECLINED MORE THAN 10%?

Bring on Modus Ponens, Modus Tollens, the Law of the Contrapositive, and don't forget to also throw in all the Fallacies (Compostion, etc.) when you apply your superior rhetorical skills.