• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

There's nothing in the grader's notes on the Mastro copy about the back cover. The only thing we shouldn't be able to see in the scan are the small "finger bends." There's supposedly a fingerprint on the cover but I haven't been able to find it.

The question is then... what does a book with a slight, color breaking crease that big and small spine stress lines (of which is looks like only one[?] is visible/color breaking) get nowadays?

That crease is super slight but is like... an inch long.

Again, before any of you get ahead of me and start blaring this from the rooftops, I'm not saying that this Mastro book is the new 9.2. I'm just analyzing the Mastro book on its own merits because... it's really interesting to do so.

Grading notes are never all inclusive.

I'm not saying the Mastro book is the 9.2 either.

The defects would have to depend on how they look in hand, as to depth, size, affect on eye appeal as well as structural integrity.

I've seen 9.2 books with relatively long (1/2 - 3/4") creases but they were very, very light and the rest of the book was specctacular.

At this point, there's not enough data to make a conclusion but there is a small possibility.

There's nothing in the grader's notes on the Mastro copy about the back cover. The only thing we shouldn't be able to see in the scan are the small "finger bends." There's supposedly a fingerprint on the cover but I haven't been able to find it.

The question is then... what does a book with a slight, color breaking crease that big and small spine stress lines (of which is looks like only one[?] is visible/color breaking) get nowadays?

That crease is super slight but is like... an inch long.

Again, before any of you get ahead of me and start blaring this from the rooftops, I'm not saying that this Mastro book is the new 9.2. I'm just analyzing the Mastro book on its own merits because... it's really interesting to do so.

Given today's loosened grading standards compared to when the book was graded an 8.0, a 9.0 wouldn't surprise me, esp if someone were able to remove the surface dirt/soiling from the front cover without "restoring" it. Beautiful copy, looks nice and glossy too. :cloud9:

Need help I was going thru the boards weeks ago and saw a post of someone starting to do leaf casting getting better everytime and it was not Matt anyone know what i am talking abought.
I believe you're referring to Ze-Man's thread: Leafcasting.

YUP thats it Thanks. anyone know him and does he retore books?

Congrats on the pick up, but just asking : are you having it switched because you don't 'trust' the standards of an upstart company( no matter who is at the helm, even with the fact that a distinguished operation like Metro is being supportive of them)or you just prefer your certified books in the hands(tomb)of the standard bearer? I did this without mentioning any "names" lol hope it doesn't get clipped.

He's Matt's chief employee for restorative work (CCS). He's done a few books of mine, and his work is arguably unparalleled in the field.

but he has to have jokes often explained to him. he laughs after you get him to undrstand, tho'.

He's Matt's chief employee for restorative work (CCS). He's done a few books of mine, and his work is arguably unparalleled in the field.

but he has to have jokes often explained to him. he laughs after you get him to undrstand, tho'.

Usually a few minutes after.

But the wait is worth it...his face lights up like a Christmas tree.

Usually a few minutes after.

But the wait is worth it...his face lights up like a Christmas tree.

Might be the booze. hm

Look, I didn't want to say this, but since you brought it up. When you tell jokes, you sound like some back in the Bayou Hill Billy.

And I don't understand LSU speak, ok

:insane:

Look, I didn't want to say this, but since you brought it up. When you tell jokes, you sound like some back in the Bayou Hill Billy.

And I don't understand LSU speak, ok

:insane:

I thought that "Bayou Hill Billy" was his nickname in law school?!?!

Harvard gets his strike

He worked so hard for it. (thumbs u

You can always tell a Harvard man. You just can't tell him much. (:

detective-27.jpg

And here's some more info about the missing book.

Killer, could see this old label 8.0 being the new 9.2. Same can't be said of the Heritage 8.0, it may be close to it's final resting place with the erasure and piece out of the bottom of the spine.

I remember trying to figure out what the defects were when I was looking at the catalog. It looks better than the grade for sure.

Yeah, that top right corner could poke a kid's eye out! :o

I just looked pulled out the catalog and looked at the again and... based on the front cover I can't see anything obvious that would knock the book down all the way to 8.0.

Rob, isn't there tiny stresses in the red spine area? To me that negates any possible 9.2 grade (?). hm

I'll post a big old scan of the Mastro book tomorrow.

And I'm not saying this is the 9.2 we're discussing. The Mastro book has always looked undergraded to me. It was an early book and there's a perception that the early grades were too harsh. To me this book looks like a prime example of that.

Of course, I've only ever seen the scan.

The back cover could have some issues. But the front cover looks better than 8.0. (thumbs u

what about doing the ol' roll the book to the left, putting the current spine on the back and pressing the *HOLY SPOON* out of it, thus moving any spine defects out of sight...

most of you know that this is being done and getting significant grade bumps...