• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

Let me get this straight:

CGC has adopted a "new scale" that encourages people to crack out "old scale" books for resubmission to CGC for new restoration (ca-ching) and resubmission (ca-ching) to get a better grade, and you don't see anything noteworthy?

14 years ago the difference between Slight, Moderate and Extensive (with 2 designations for each - pro or amateur, giving 6 possible designations) didn't matter as much. CGC has since adopted a new scale that is better at describing in detail what was done to the book.

Whether someone decides this is worth resubbing the book for is an entirely different issue.

I'm sure a number cruncher somewhere figured in resub value as part of the model but over all, it's a much more effective system at conveying information and one that should have been in place from the start.

I've been a proponent for a more detailed resto scale since I joined the GA forum.

I wouldn't get caught up in comparing the two scales. They have a new scale and an old scale. The new scale is a lot more detailed and is... new.

When i spend 5 grand plus on a resored book i know when it says Ext that there is No chance of the resto removed..................... When i see a Mod i think that ha there is a chance the resto goes away with a less grade but its not purple L of death by todays standards.

When i see its a 155g book with Ext now its a Mod i see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Do you think it does not matter if its Slight or Ext to people spending huge money?. When i see a Tec 27 in a Mod holder 9.4 I think there is a chance the resto gets removed and its a 5.0 blue.

O and then i think press the book and its 6.0 $$$$$$$$$$

All i am saying is all PLOD are not equal it does matter to someone like me who can spend big bucks on books but i have no problem with restored same book at 20% = more great books?

And, keep in mind, getting really high level restoration work done is a LOT different than getting a dry clean and press on a book. People aren't going to start doing thousands of dollars worth of restoration just to make an extra $500 on a restored book that jumped a grade.

I wouldn't get caught up in comparing the two scales. They have a new scale and an old scale. The new scale is a lot more detailed and is... new.

When i spend 5 grand plus on a resored book i know when it says Ext that there is No chance of the resto removed..................... When i see a Mod i think that ha there is a chance the resto goes away with a less grade but its not purple L of death by todays standards.

When i see its a 155g book with Ext now its a Mod i see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Do you think it does not matter if its Slight or Ext to people spending huge money?. When i see a Tec 27 in a Mod holder 9.4 I think there is a chance the resto gets removed and its a 5.0 blue.

O and then i think press the book and its 6.0 $$$$$$$$$$

All i am saying is all PLOD are not equal it does matter to someone like me who can spend big bucks on books but i have no problem with restored same book at 20% = more great books?

But they're two different scales. You need to adjust how you start seeing $$$$$$ based on the new scale.

New. Scale.

I've never seen a mod or ext restored book be unrestored to blue...

slight, yes, but not sure I know of any examples of mod/ext (shrug)

It's possible but the book would look like it was used for target practice. :D

Whether someone decides this is worth resubbing the book for is an entirely different issue.

I'm sure a number cruncher somewhere figured in resub value as part of the model but over all, it's a much more effective system at conveying information and one that should have been in place from the start.

I've been a proponent for a more detailed resto scale since I joined the GA forum.

Yep. Going along with this, I think many have felt that the market has long overreacted to certain slight levels of resto. But market data is what it is.

IF we see significant price movement in converting purple slight to blue conserved, I think there's little doubt people will start investing in that process.

But, the market is what it is, and we shall soon see.

Yep. Going along with this, I think many have felt that the market has long overreacted to certain slight levels of resto. But market data is what it is.

IF we see significant price movement in converting purple slight to blue conserved, I think there's little doubt people will start investing in that process.

But, the market is what it is, and we shall soon see.

As far as I know, people have been removing resto for as long as I've been familiar with CGC. The greater the price gaps the more incentive there is to do so.

I think once people become educated with the new scale, it should help close those price gaps as people feel more comfortable with restored books.

And, keep in mind, getting really high level restoration work done is a LOT different than getting a dry clean and press on a book. People aren't going to start doing thousands of dollars worth of restoration just to make an extra $500 on a restored book that jumped a grade.

I have had books from way back in the 80s have lots of books that i have not looked at for 10+ years .

Last time i was going thru my books i found Action 13 said WOW forgot this one. I said why did i not get this restored than i saw coupon clipped back cover but its unrestored VG/F thats what the round sticker says?.

when i had some keys retored it cost 300 or less i dont have any idea what it cost now days so if anyone has prices fill me in please. G.A.tor thanks did not know you cant undo Mod i thought you can undo any work with more of a loss.

If i dont make sense i changed my Meds from JIm Beam to Jack D today or went from Mod to EXT.

I would like to see todays rest prices.

Depends on the amount of resto. A massive overhaul might cost you $2500 or so, most resto will be under that.

PS, that Action #10 sounds like it's right up my alley. Put me in line when you decide you don't love it anymore! :headbang:

For my own education I had Matt "unrestore" a moderate 7.0 Daring Mystery 2. It had a fair amount of spine work done to it. After the removal it was a blue label 1.5 with no spine to speak of. I had it re-restored.

For my own education I had Matt "unrestore" a moderate 7.0 Daring Mystery 2. It had a fair amount of spine work done to it. After the removal it was a blue label 1.5 with no spine to speak of. I had it re-restored.

That's rather Daring of you. Shirley you must be joking.

Depends on the amount of resto. A massive overhaul might cost you $2500 or so, most resto will be under that.

PS, that Action #10 sounds like it's right up my alley. Put me in line when you decide you don't love it anymore! :headbang:

Action 13 not 10? But i do have a 10

ciorac had his supes 1 9.0 ep go to mp. old label book just like the 27.

maybe the degree of resto wasn't as extensive by today's standards as it was in yesteryear.

not sure that's a good thing though :(

I think restoration is a continuum although CGC bins it into categories. If a book was on the border between what they call extensive and moderate and on the 1st grading pass it came out as extensive and on the second moderate, I would not be surprised in the least. Come on folks, this book went from a 9.2 to a 9.4. That level of grade change is so far down in the noise. Heck, submit it again and maybe it comes back as a 9.6 or a 9.2. Could revert back to extensive as well. CGC is not nor have they ever been 100% consistent in their grading. That point has been illustrated so many times in the past it is scary. The book is beautiful, the price is nuts (IMHO).

Rich, you have pictures? I would love to see them.

that's about what I would guess would happen... I didn't mean to imply you couldnt unrestore a book, I meant I'm not sure it would make sense to get a mod/ext into a blue label, and really have anything left worth even what it was restored...

outside of chemical cleaning, all resto is removable, I presume, just not sure it would make sense.... slight, I've seen done a LOT....but even in bedrock's case, it didnt make sense to unrestore a mod to blue

Let's look at the 9.4 bump on the D27 from 9.2....was 155K now 595K... if that bump is even greater even more dollars up. I see in todays Hollywood Reporter an article as to WHY Metro paid over 3.2 million dollars for the Action One...give it read...interesting...here I will sum it up for you....i

"it is gonna be worth more"....

If you own a GA Key....and can grade bump it .2,.4. or a full grade...what are you gonna do...Gator the 2 million dollar profit Gold Rush( see Chuck R market comments)..has just began..just too much greed and money on the table NOW.

You still overlook the most important thing... no one is twisting anyone's arm to buy these books... or slabbed books in general. I have thousands of vintage comics in my shop. For some bizarre reason, not a single one of them has skyrocketed in price since the sale of the Action #1. And curiously, my grading standards have not changed either, and nothing has received a "grade bump".

If one isn't buying comics simply as a stock-exchange style commodity, then purchasing something you like in a grade you trust, whether it's from CGC or whether it's raw, and at a price you find reasonable... none of that has been altered one whit by the Action or Detective, or any other of the $1 mil+ books that literally affect the lives of only a handful of people on earth willing to put that kind of cash into them. The rest of us go on business as usual.

What is troubling is the LACK of disclosure ...nothing in the promo video about a full grade bump...nothing really...it is not the END result that counts.

I don't believe that and I hope you don't...you don't justify the means to the higher grade.