• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big change at CGC

289 posts in this topic

Overall, I'm pleased with the change, regardless of the reason. This means I will be subbing more books, but yes, with a few more changes, CGC could proably reap even greater rewards.

Hopefully, it is just the start of more change to come though. Getting rid of that silly "Admin or Invoice Fee" would be very nice. I HATE having to pay that. Yes, it is not a lot of money, but it does really annoy me. Especially annoying if I am sending books from different tiers. It is akin to other hated fees like "system access fees" or whatever they call them for cell phones. Just a cheap money grab. Free grader notes would be nice too and to me, should just be considered "part of the service" when we send books in to be graded.

As for TAT, if you want your books faster, there is the Fast Track option. I also think TAT will be an issue for the "other company" too though. I have no idea of what the logistics or costs involved in getting another encapsulation machine are, if that is indeed what is slowing down books moving out.

As for what they call the tiers...Why not simply use a letter or number code? Example: Tier A/1 - 1974 to present, etc. There is something to be said for keeping things simple.

Fast track is NOT fast, and why am I paying all this extra money to NOT get my books back anywhere near their stated TAT's? I have a $600.00 bill from them, and my books are still received after a month+. They got their money, I want my books. This is not rocket science.

Correct. The appropriate response to the TaT debate is not, "hey, if you want your books fast, do fast track" lol

I have only fast tracked one order and it was fine as mostly I am somewhat ok to wait...My bad for assuming the service ran as it should or at least close to on schedule :sorry:...However, I do not see anything wrong with offering a "premium" or "faster" service, lots of different companies offer similar things, so long as it delivers of course.

My last fast track from 8/5 is still sitting at "graded" with no clear end in sight.

I finally broke down and did an Economy Fast rack sub. It took 51 business days...longer than the posted time for Economy.

Overall, I'm pleased with the change, regardless of the reason. This means I will be subbing more books, but yes, with a few more changes, CGC could proably reap even greater rewards.

Hopefully, it is just the start of more change to come though. Getting rid of that silly "Admin or Invoice Fee" would be very nice. I HATE having to pay that. Yes, it is not a lot of money, but it does really annoy me. Especially annoying if I am sending books from different tiers. It is akin to other hated fees like "system access fees" or whatever they call them for cell phones. Just a cheap money grab. Free grader notes would be nice too and to me, should just be considered "part of the service" when we send books in to be graded.

As for TAT, if you want your books faster, there is the Fast Track option. I also think TAT will be an issue for the "other company" too though. I have no idea of what the logistics or costs involved in getting another encapsulation machine are, if that is indeed what is slowing down books moving out.

As for what they call the tiers...Why not simply use a letter or number code? Example: Tier A/1 - 1974 to present, etc. There is something to be said for keeping things simple.

Fast track is NOT fast, and why am I paying all this extra money to NOT get my books back anywhere near their stated TAT's? I have a $600.00 bill from them, and my books are still received after a month+. They got their money, I want my books. This is not rocket science.

Correct. The appropriate response to the TaT debate is not, "hey, if you want your books fast, do fast track" lol

I have only fast tracked one order and it was fine as mostly I am somewhat ok to wait...My bad for assuming the service ran as it should or at least close to on schedule :sorry:...However, I do not see anything wrong with offering a "premium" or "faster" service, lots of different companies offer similar things, so long as it delivers of course.

My last fast track from 8/5 is still sitting at "graded" with no clear end in sight.

I finally broke down and did an Economy Fast rack sub. It took 51 business days...longer than the posted time for Economy.

My modern sub from 8/5 is sitting at received still. I am sick and tired of them holding up my money, I am in business to sell comics, not lend money to CGC.

Harry Potters slabs are all the rage - they magically increase the value of everything inside of them.

The premier model even cleans and presses with the proper spell.

Excleano Presstronum

:cloud9:

I haven't been tracking sales, but I would guess Voldemort would be in the same range as CGC.

My first batch back from Voldemort were right in line (grade wise) with CGC. The grades I got were what I expected (which has been the case for me with CGC the last few submissions).

I haven't been tracking sales, but I would guess Voldemort would be in the same range as CGC.

My first batch back from Voldemort were right in line (grade wise) with CGC. The grades I got were what I expected (which has been the case for me with CGC the last few submissions).

Many sales have been much higher than GPA, which is why I hope at least one company will start tracking them.

Please forgive me as I don't sub books to CGC.

As a bystander the common complaint I've noticed, moreso than inconsistent grading, is wait times.

CGC seems really bad at on time delivery. To the point that people seem to know and have come to expect that they will not get their books at any date even remotely close to what CGC says they will attempt to hit.

Another point people make often is that CGC is begging for a competitor to come in.

So why do you all continue to sub books (and so many of them)? Where is the incentive for them to get better or to fret about competition? The behavior of their customers would seem to indicate that no matter the level of angst, they will continue to sub anyway.

I run a business. On time delivery is paramount. When I can't deliver, somebody else gets the order. In the case of CGC, apparently there's nobody else worth giving the order to. Therefore, to effect change, it seems logical that one would stop subbing until they prove they can get better and sustain a higher level of on time performance when business inevitably picks back up?

Just stop subbing. (shrug)

hm

What this fails to acknowledge is that CGC makes the money happen. A dollar book that I pull out of a dollar bin is a dollar book, NO MATTER WHAT, until it comes out the other side with a 9.8 in the upper corner. It doesn't matter how long it takes (unless the market is that volatile) It has to go in the slab in order to get the cheddar. The same holds true for a lot of other stuff being slabbed. You don't get the top end bread until it is slabbed.

Until the competition shows the money, they are not real competition. They may get people who want to win their Registry competitions and malcontents, but they are not going to get pedigree collections or multi-thousand book subs (like Showcase New England) until the money is tried and true.

You realize Sparkle City, Metro, among others are using the not real competition?

No. I have no idea. It doesn't surprise me that they would try it out, and it also doesn't surprise me that they would support it. Until I start seeing thousands of Voldemort Company slabs on Ebay, I will remain unconvinced.

Them shutting down production because of defective inner wells isn't going to help them much. What is your opinion on that, since you seem to be in the know as to what is going on with them?

I think it's unfortunate that it happened and I commend their honesty to it and fixing it.

Unlike what we have seen with puddling in inner wells.

I also saw that an AF15 recently sold on eBay beating GPA.

I think the market has shown an acceptance to another viable company out there but to answer your question, this new obstacle they are encountering is not good for their biz

I hope your last two paragraphs were an attempt at sarcasm because it is like reading an text from a teenager after a twelve pack of Mountain Dew.

If not, bravo on your overwhelmingly bold stance to prove that you don't care about being understood properly. lol

"When to use an and a"

I love when people try to correct other's grammar and make grammatical mistakes :whistle:

He who casts the first stone and all that stuff…

lol

Auto correct on a phone from a to an is not poor grammar nor was I correcting anything but it does make it mock worthy. Kudos.

I've had my grammar mocked enough that I've got to defend the little guy. Although not capitalizing the first letter of sentences is just nonsensical…

lol

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/ellipsis.htm

It appears your use of the ellipsis is incorrect. lol

Your move. :sumo:

It is called poetic license and style. :cool:

As a bystander the common complaint I've noticed, moreso than inconsistent grading, is wait times.

CGC seems really bad at on time delivery. To the point that people seem to know and have come to expect that they will not get their books at any date even remotely close to what CGC says they will attempt to hit.

Another point people make often is that CGC is begging for a competitor to come in.

So why do you all continue to sub books (and so many of them)? Where is the incentive for them to get better or to fret about competition? The behavior of their customers would seem to indicate that no matter the level of angst, they will continue to sub anyway.

I run a business. On time delivery is paramount. When I can't deliver, somebody else gets the order. In the case of CGC, apparently there's nobody else worth giving the order to. Therefore, to effect change, it seems logical that one would stop subbing until they prove they can get better and sustain a higher level of on time performance when business inevitably picks back up?

hm

What this fails to acknowledge is that CGC makes the money happen. A dollar book that I pull out of a dollar bin is a dollar book, NO MATTER WHAT, until it comes out the other side with a 9.8 in the upper corner. It doesn't matter how long it takes (unless the market is that volatile) It has to go in the slab in order to get the cheddar. The same holds true for a lot of other stuff being slabbed. You don't get the top end bread until it is slabbed.

Until the competition shows the money, they are not real competition. They may get people who want to win their Registry competitions and malcontents, but they are not going to get pedigree collections or multi-thousand book subs (like Showcase New England) until the money is tried and true.

You realize Sparkle City, Metro, among others are using the not real competition?

No. I have no idea. It doesn't surprise me that they would try it out, and it also doesn't surprise me that they would support it. Until I start seeing thousands of Voldemort Company slabs on Ebay, I will remain unconvinced.

Them shutting down production because of defective inner wells isn't going to help them much. What is your opinion on that, since you seem to be in the know as to what is going on with them?

I think it's unfortunate that it happened and I commend their honesty to it and fixing it.

I think the market has shown an acceptance to another viable company out there but to answer your question, this new obstacle they are encountering is not good for their biz

It certainly won't help TAT's. But they are offering a pretty good discount because of it.

I had my books back really fast. The TAT's are the big sell for me. It' sthe main reason I haven't straight submitted to CGC in 3+ years. I've used onsite on some big $$$ books, but the days are gone when I send in books in under $500 range.

I hope your last two paragraphs were an attempt at sarcasm because it is like reading an text from a teenager after a twelve pack of Mountain Dew.

If not, bravo on your overwhelmingly bold stance to prove that you don't care about being understood properly. lol

"When to use an and a"

I love when people try to correct other's grammar and make grammatical mistakes :whistle:

He who casts the first stone and all that stuff…

lol

Auto correct on a phone from a to an is not poor grammar nor was I correcting anything but it does make it mock worthy. Kudos.

I've had my grammar mocked enough that I've got to defend the little guy. Although not capitalizing the first letter of sentences is just nonsensical…

lol

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/ellipsis.htm

It appears your use of the ellipsis is incorrect. lol

Your move. :sumo:

It is called poetic license and style. :cool:

lol

Many sales have been much higher than GPA, which is why I hope at least one company will start tracking them.

And many sales have been much lower.

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

What is quoted represents a sentence fragment.

Does it? I'm pretty sure there is both a subject (i.e. "Your") and predicate (i.e. "move") thus making it a sentence.

Please prove me wrong… I could be… I don't think I am…

Ha!

Suck it, Unfunny Ryan!!!

Even though you made me laugh and that technically made you funny for a second but still, back to unfunny for you.

hm

It certainly won't help TAT's. But they are offering a pretty good discount because of it.

I had my books back really fast. The TAT's are the big sell for me. It' sthe main reason I haven't straight submitted to CGC in 3+ years. I've used onsite on some big $$$ books, but the days are gone when I send in books in under $500 range.

That's all well and good but who is making the donuts?

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

What is quoted represents a sentence fragment.

Does it? I'm pretty sure there is both a subject (i.e. "Your") and predicate (i.e. "move") thus making it a sentence.

Please prove me wrong… I could be… I don't think I am…

Ha!

Suck it, Unfunny Ryan!!!

Even though you made me laugh and that technically made you funny for a second but still, back to unfunny for you.

Don't get too excited… I've been wrong once or twice in my life.

I am an English teacher though and have some understanding of the English language.

Really?

I was just looking at some of the copies listed on eBay right now and when it comes to their 9.6/9.8s I gotta be honest, I'm not real impressed with what I'm seeing.

Really?

I was just looking at some of the copies listed on eBay right now and when it comes to their 9.6/9.8s I gotta be honest, I'm not real impressed with what I'm seeing.

Really? I have found their grading right on par.

I like referring to them with the name that shall not be spoken though. That is creative if it was chrisco37's idea.

hm

I agree it is not good for biz or TATs in the short term, but to give it some perspective, they'll probaby get it resolved faster than the TAT on a CGC modern sub. They will also take care of any customer that was impacted free of charge in addition to heavy discounts on any subs while the issue is resolved. That level of customer service was non-existent in third party grading less than a year ago, and it is a sign of how much things have changed for the better. What will be remembered is their honesty, transparency, and their respect for the hobby & customers.

Really.

I know 9.6 and 9.8 aren't supposed to be "perfect" but 95% of my CGC 9.6s look as good or better than their 9.8s.

I'm not saying I haven't seen some sloppy CGC 9.6/9.8s but those seem to be the exception. The 5 or 6 pages that I scrolled through on eBay make it look like the norm for Voldemort.

I won't post a link for fear of getting struck, but Greg Reece (whose seems to have jumped into the Voldemort pool with both feet) has a Thor #203 listed on eBay that's 9.6.

I know it's a black picture frame and everyone seems to cut black slack, but in my opinion there is no way that's a 9.6. If I had purchased that sight unseen I'd be hopping mad if that's what I received.