• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big change at CGC

289 posts in this topic

I haven't been tracking sales, but I would guess Voldemort would be in the same range as CGC.

My first batch back from Voldemort were right in line (grade wise) with CGC. The grades I got were what I expected (which has been the case for me with CGC the last few submissions).

Really?

I was just looking at some of the copies listed on eBay right now and when it comes to their 9.6/9.8s I gotta be honest, I'm not real impressed with what I'm seeing.

I think the consensus on slab transfer overs is that grading has been a little tighter to about the same. I do like that the grader's actually put down notes for both 9.6 and 9.8s, in addition to being free and accessible to all.

I haven't been tracking sales, but I would guess Voldemort would be in the same range as CGC.

My first batch back from Voldemort were right in line (grade wise) with CGC. The grades I got were what I expected (which has been the case for me with CGC the last few submissions).

Many sales have been much higher than GPA, which is why I hope at least one company will start tracking them.

And many sales have been much lower.

I was going to make this point also. In the instances where it was higher, is it really about the grading company or the book and/or seller.

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

What is quoted represents a sentence fragment.

Does it? I'm pretty sure there is both a subject (i.e. "Your") and predicate (i.e. "move") thus making it a sentence.

Please prove me wrong… I could be… I don't think I am…

Microsoft Word says I'm right. :sumo:

I've tracked the sales of both companies and I was surprised how quickly the market accepted them and pricing was close enough to not be worried. At least that's my take.

When an AF15 sells for more than GPA in a new company slab....that's impressive. Some of the other books have tracked lower or a little higher. Same with other CGC sales in GPA.

I'd like to see GPA have both included. Nobody can argue that more data is a bad thing.

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

Does it? I'm pretty sure there is both a subject (i.e. "Your") and predicate (i.e. "move") thus making it a sentence.

Ha!

Suck it ChrisS... Ryan is... well... .

This place sucks.

Please forgive me as I don't sub books to CGC.

As a bystander the common complaint I've noticed, moreso than inconsistent grading, is wait times.

CGC seems really bad at on time delivery. To the point that people seem to know and have come to expect that they will not get their books at any date even remotely close to what CGC says they will attempt to hit.

Another point people make often is that CGC is begging for a competitor to come in.

So why do you all continue to sub books (and so many of them)? Where is the incentive for them to get better or to fret about competition? The behavior of their customers would seem to indicate that no matter the level of angst, they will continue to sub anyway.

I run a business. On time delivery is paramount. When I can't deliver, somebody else gets the order. In the case of CGC, apparently there's nobody else worth giving the order to. Therefore, to effect change, it seems logical that one would stop subbing until they prove they can get better and sustain a higher level of on time performance when business inevitably picks back up?

Just stop subbing. (shrug)

hm

What this fails to acknowledge is that CGC makes the money happen. A dollar book that I pull out of a dollar bin is a dollar book, NO MATTER WHAT, until it comes out the other side with a 9.8 in the upper corner. It doesn't matter how long it takes (unless the market is that volatile) It has to go in the slab in order to get the cheddar. The same holds true for a lot of other stuff being slabbed. You don't get the top end bread until it is slabbed.

Until the competition shows the money, they are not real competition. They may get people who want to win their Registry competitions and malcontents, but they are not going to get pedigree collections or multi-thousand book subs (like Showcase New England) until the money is tried and true.

You realize Sparkle City, Metro, among others are using the not real competition?

No. I have no idea. It doesn't surprise me that they would try it out, and it also doesn't surprise me that they would support it. Until I start seeing thousands of Voldemort Company slabs on Ebay, I will remain unconvinced.

Them shutting down production because of defective inner wells isn't going to help them much. What is your opinion on that, since you seem to be in the know as to what is going on with them?

I think it's unfortunate that it happened and I commend their honesty to it and fixing it.

Unlike what we have seen with puddling in inner wells.

I also saw that an AF15 recently sold on eBay beating GPA.

I think the market has shown an acceptance to another viable company out there but to answer your question, this new obstacle they are encountering is not good for their biz

It certainly won't help TAT's. But they are offering a pretty good discount because of it.

I had my books back really fast. The TAT's are the big sell for me. It' sthe main reason I haven't straight submitted to CGC in 3+ years. I've used onsite on some big $$$ books, but the days are gone when I send in books in under $500 range.

That's all well and good but who is making the donuts?

This had me crying.

#TEAM_TARANTULA

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

:roflmao::applause:

Microsoft Word…making high schoolers ignorant in the ways of grammar since 1983.

Please forgive me as I don't sub books to CGC.

As a bystander the common complaint I've noticed, moreso than inconsistent grading, is wait times.

CGC seems really bad at on time delivery. To the point that people seem to know and have come to expect that they will not get their books at any date even remotely close to what CGC says they will attempt to hit.

Another point people make often is that CGC is begging for a competitor to come in.

So why do you all continue to sub books (and so many of them)? Where is the incentive for them to get better or to fret about competition? The behavior of their customers would seem to indicate that no matter the level of angst, they will continue to sub anyway.

I run a business. On time delivery is paramount. When I can't deliver, somebody else gets the order. In the case of CGC, apparently there's nobody else worth giving the order to. Therefore, to effect change, it seems logical that one would stop subbing until they prove they can get better and sustain a higher level of on time performance when business inevitably picks back up?

Just stop subbing. (shrug)

hm

What this fails to acknowledge is that CGC makes the money happen. A dollar book that I pull out of a dollar bin is a dollar book, NO MATTER WHAT, until it comes out the other side with a 9.8 in the upper corner. It doesn't matter how long it takes (unless the market is that volatile) It has to go in the slab in order to get the cheddar. The same holds true for a lot of other stuff being slabbed. You don't get the top end bread until it is slabbed.

Until the competition shows the money, they are not real competition. They may get people who want to win their Registry competitions and malcontents, but they are not going to get pedigree collections or multi-thousand book subs (like Showcase New England) until the money is tried and true.

You realize Sparkle City, Metro, among others are using the not real competition?

No. I have no idea. It doesn't surprise me that they would try it out, and it also doesn't surprise me that they would support it. Until I start seeing thousands of Voldemort Company slabs on Ebay, I will remain unconvinced.

Them shutting down production because of defective inner wells isn't going to help them much. What is your opinion on that, since you seem to be in the know as to what is going on with them?

I think it's unfortunate that it happened and I commend their honesty to it and fixing it.

Unlike what we have seen with puddling in inner wells.

I also saw that an AF15 recently sold on eBay beating GPA.

I think the market has shown an acceptance to another viable company out there but to answer your question, this new obstacle they are encountering is not good for their biz

It certainly won't help TAT's. But they are offering a pretty good discount because of it.

I had my books back really fast. The TAT's are the big sell for me. It' sthe main reason I haven't straight submitted to CGC in 3+ years. I've used onsite on some big $$$ books, but the days are gone when I send in books in under $500 range.

That's all well and good but who is making the donuts?

This had me crying.

#TEAM_TARANTULA

lol

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

You're using Word as your grammatical expert? lol

Park- You can give Ryan this one if you want- he clearly needs it :baiting:

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

Yeah, Park.

Listen to your Sensei.

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

I forgot which side of this debate made me correct. :cry:

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

Yeah, Park.

Listen to your Sensei.

Yeah, I gotta wear that one for a while.

#TEAM_TARANTULA

Your move.

Sentence fragment.

Park, you can give Ryan this one if you want; he clearly needs it. :baiting:

:acclaim: