• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big change at CGC

289 posts in this topic

This isn't change. It's smoke and mirrors.

Change would be to improve turnaround times, stop charging a $5 invoice fee, give back free graders notes...just a start.

They are feeling the pressure and need to make some movement to appease some customers.

This change doesn't do anything for me to feel better about subbing any books to them yet. Stop nickel and diming your customers and I will be glad to send in a stack of books.

Well said.

X100

I sent my last sub to CGC over a month ago. It's still unlogged and sitting in as received. I'm not subbing to CGC anymore until they stop acting like pre-1984 AT&T. Read between the lines.

On the other hand, people could stop submitting and send a real message to CGC. It has always amazed me how people complain about TaTs and then keep sending in books.

I think this has already starting happening given the third-party graded books I am seeing on various dealer and auction sites.

Change would be to improve turnaround times, stop charging a $5 invoice fee, give back free graders notes...just a start.

They are feeling the pressure and need to make some movement to appease some customers.

This change doesn't do anything for me to feel better about subbing any books to them yet. Stop nickel and diming your customers and I will be glad to send in a stack of books.

Well said.

X100

I sent my last sub to CGC over a month ago. It's still unlogged and sitting in as received. I'm not subbing to CGC anymore until they stop acting like pre-1984 AT&T. Read between the lines.

On the other hand, people could stop submitting and send a real message to CGC. It has always amazed me how people complain about TaTs and then keep sending in books.

No, that's the thing. I'm done with them.

Overall, I'm pleased with the change, regardless of the reason. This means I will be subbing more books, but yes, with a few more changes, CGC could proably reap even greater rewards.

Hopefully, it is just the start of more change to come though. Getting rid of that silly "Admin or Invoice Fee" would be very nice. I HATE having to pay that. Yes, it is not a lot of money, but it does really annoy me. Especially annoying if I am sending books from different tiers. It is akin to other hated fees like "system access fees" or whatever they call them for cell phones. Just a cheap money grab. Free grader notes would be nice too and to me, should just be considered "part of the service" when we send books in to be graded.

As for TAT, if you want your books faster, there is the Fast Track option. I also think TAT will be an issue for the "other company" too though. I have no idea of what the logistics or costs involved in getting another encapsulation machine are, if that is indeed what is slowing down books moving out.

As for what they call the tiers...Why not simply use a letter or number code? Example: Tier A/1 - 1974 to present, etc. There is something to be said for keeping things simple.

Well said.

X100

No, that's the thing. I'm done with them.

That's what I am saying. Others are trying different options.

As for what they call the tiers...Why not simply use a letter or number code? Example: Tier A/1 - 1974 to present, etc. There is something to be said for keeping things simple.

No more codes. I dislike the new restoration codes. I honestly think most people don't understand the new resto codes. Everybody I ask seems puzzled also, unable to explain. Mark Haspel explained it to me but it just didn't make sense, was not intuituve.

Overall, I'm pleased with the change, regardless of the reason. This means I will be subbing more books, but yes, with a few more changes, CGC could proably reap even greater rewards.

Hopefully, it is just the start of more change to come though. Getting rid of that silly "Admin or Invoice Fee" would be very nice. I HATE having to pay that. Yes, it is not a lot of money, but it does really annoy me. Especially annoying if I am sending books from different tiers. It is akin to other hated fees like "system access fees" or whatever they call them for cell phones. Just a cheap money grab. Free grader notes would be nice too and to me, should just be considered "part of the service" when we send books in to be graded.

As for TAT, if you want your books faster, there is the Fast Track option. I also think TAT will be an issue for the "other company" too though. I have no idea of what the logistics or costs involved in getting another encapsulation machine are, if that is indeed what is slowing down books moving out.

Fast track is NOT fast, and why am I paying all this extra money to NOT get my books back anywhere near their stated TAT's? I have a $600.00 bill from them, and my books are still received after a month+. They got their money, I want my books. This is not rocket science.

Which apparently very few people are willing to do.

Not when it comes to recent sales of the other company's books on eBay, which GPA is refusing to track and report on.

I check recent Ebay sales BEFORE GPA, simply because GPA sales are not added instantly. And GPA may want to reconsider, or another company will emerge for that reason.

Not when it comes to recent sales of the other company's books on eBay, which GPA is refusing to track and report on.

Why would GPA refuse to report "the competition's" books? Are they being subsidized by CGC or something? What I'm seeing so far, the prices realized seem in line with CGC books. I understand why they don't report PGX but this... :screwy:

I check recent Ebay sales BEFORE GPA, simply because GPA sales are not added instantly. And GPA may want to reconsider, or another company will emerge for that reason.

Agreed. Someone on here was starting up something similar to GPA. If he gets it off the ground and reports other books, I would immediately switch from GPA, assuming GPA doesn't change their stance.

Fast track is NOT fast, and why am I paying all this extra money to NOT get my books back anywhere near their stated TAT's? I have a $600.00 bill from them, and my books are still received after a month+. They got their money, I want my books. This is not rocket science.

Correct. The appropriate response to the TaT debate is not, "hey, if you want your books fast, do fast track" lol

Agreed. Someone on here was starting up something similar to GPA. If he gets it off the ground and reports other books, I would immediately switch from GPA, assuming GPA doesn't change their stance.

(shrug) I don't know if there's any exclusivity in place but the header on their site seems to spell it out pretty clearly.

149783.jpg.3b44127f2e6f0ddef9b60fd01a821ac2.jpg

Why would GPA refuse to report "the competition's" books? Are they being subsidized by CGC or something? What I'm seeing so far, the prices realized seem in line with CGC books. I understand why they don't report PGX but this... :screwy:

I think its pretty early on the process for the other company. They probably need to do more research and collect more data. MOST new businesses fail, for one reason or another. I think I'd wait it out for awhile too.

I think its pretty early on the process for the other company. They probably need to do more research and collect more data. MOST new businesses fail, for one reason or another. I think I'd wait it out for awhile too.

I wouldn't. There is almost zero chance of the new guys failing. I mean... PGX is still around. Just think about that for a second.

Waiting around for a while is going to do nothing but cost George a bunch of business, assuming someone jumps in to fill the void.

(shrug) I don't know if there's any exclusivity in place but the header on their site seems to spell it out pretty clearly.

Sure, but that was put up when CGC was the only legit game in town. I'm just saying that I (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one) would jump if a different site tracked both. If you are GPA, why give someone else the opportunity to take your business. If another site comes along (and we know of at least one that is starting up) and takes business away from GPA, how long do you think it will be before GPA starts reporting both? I'm just saying it would make sense to be proactive rather than reactive if you are GPA. Just my 2c

i'm sorry CGC but your costumers aren't stupid

Is there some way to prove that statement?

not based on that spelling

meh(shrug)

Costumers dress you while customers buy from you. That's what he's referring to I imagine... (thumbs u

lol i never clamed to be good at spelling......actully i think it's petty when people point things like that out, as if that invaladtes the point being made and people can't infer that i made a spelling mistake and oviously didn't mean people dressing up

lol i know during this i messed up 2-3 different words, but it's the internet and not spelling class so i'm not about to copy/paste just to run a spell check to make people/a person happy

i'm sorry CGC but your costumers aren't stupid

Is there some way to prove that statement?

not based on that spelling

meh(shrug)

Costumers dress you while customers buy from you. That's what he's referring to I imagine... (thumbs u

lol i never clamed to be good at spelling......actully i think it's petty when people point things like that out, as if that invaladtes the point being made and people can't infer that i made a spelling mistake and oviously didn't mean people dressing up

lol i know during this i messed up 2-3 different words, but it's the internet and not spelling class so i'm not about to copy/paste just to run a spell check to make people/a person happy

Said in the voice of The Sphinx:

You run the risk of people dismissing your comments, when you are dismissive of grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Please forgive me as I don't sub books to CGC.

As a bystander the common complaint I've noticed, moreso than inconsistent grading, is wait times.

CGC seems really bad at on time delivery. To the point that people seem to know and have come to expect that they will not get their books at any date even remotely close to what CGC says they will attempt to hit.

Another point people make often is that CGC is begging for a competitor to come in.

So why do you all continue to sub books (and so many of them)? Where is the incentive for them to get better or to fret about competition? The behavior of their customers would seem to indicate that no matter the level of angst, they will continue to sub anyway. Every time you sub books aren't you telling CGC you accept their performance, no matter how frustrating it is?

I run a business. On time delivery is paramount. When I can't deliver, somebody else gets the order. In the case of CGC, apparently there's nobody else worth giving the order to. Therefore, to effect change, it seems logical that one would stop subbing until they prove they can get better and sustain a higher level of on time performance when business inevitably picks back up?

Just stop subbing. (shrug)