• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

I saw it today. I thought the reviews were overly harsh.

I agree with what someone said about the antagonists needed a boost. I would have liked to see Katana get a couple of Harley's scenes, and I actually would have liked a little less Joker. Use that time for Boomerang.

I'm putting this Turkey's final BO somewhere between $500mm and X-Men apocalypse.

And that should be considered a success.

Kudos once again to Trailer Park and WB's marketing machine.

Time to reset the spin cycle, rinse and repeat now for Wonder Woman (aka "Captain America- SJW's Delight) and Justice League (aka "Where Have I Seen This Before?", aka "Suicide Squad 2- The Sequeling").

:popcorn:

-J.

Saw the SS movie with friends today. Thought as what I've seen ... A good popcorn flick is what it is. Sure, yeah - it's nowhere close to some Marvel movies were made. About somewhat the same as BvS was.

Some characters by actors/actresses played are good. Will Smith as Deadshot was good, for one. Croc was not bad. Harley Quinn is good (the homage to the one-shot cover of Joker and Harley is nice touch). Action was ok.

Joker with bling rings? Call me old school but I like the old version of Joker. Razz me all you want, but it is what I know during my youth. I'm not a fan of hip hop bling what-ever-you-call that thing!

Other than that, it's not a bad movie and I enjoyed ate my bag of popcorn. :popcorn:

"Box office success" seems pretty clear from that i09 article:

$750 million worldwide to break even. Let's be generous and call it $700 million.

Which it still won't come close to hitting.

I think it was Gatsby asking about the history of Deadshoot. Variant Comics did a few video specials before the movie release.

And then there is last year's video on the history of Harley Quinn.

$750 million worldwide to break even. Let's be generous and call it $700 million.

$750 million is not an accurate box office success and as usual Hollywood Reporter is pulling mess out of the air. For as long as I can remember, the number was between 2.5x and 3x budget. Otherwise, they are saying Guardians of the Galaxy barely made a profit (similar budget of $170 with a $775 worldwide return.)

Budget was $175. Break even is between $437.5 and $525 million.

But like I said, let's redefine how we define success.

Edited by rjrjr

$750 million is not an accurate box office success and as usual Hollywood Reporter is pulling mess out of the air. For as long as I can remember, the number was between 2.5x and 3x budget. Otherwise, they are saying Guardians of the Galaxy0 barely made a profit (similar budget of $170 with a $775 worldwide return.)

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/suicide-squad/257556/suicide-squad-needs-750-million-800-million-to-break-even

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

-J.

All 3 articles are all using the same industry “veteran” source.

Not my quotes.

As someone who worked for both studios I'm calling BS on this one also.

Edited by Rip

$750 million is not an accurate box office success and as usual Hollywood Reporter is pulling mess out of the air. For as long as I can remember, the number was between 2.5x and 3x budget. Otherwise, they are saying Guardians of the Galaxy0 barely made a profit (similar budget of $170 with a $775 worldwide return.)

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/suicide-squad/257556/suicide-squad-needs-750-million-800-million-to-break-even

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

-J.

So these two movies were money losers:

Thor

Budget: $150

Worldwide Box Office: $450 million

Captain America: The First Avenger

Budget: $140

Worldwide Box Office: $371 milliion

Or is Suicide Squad being held to a different standard?

-J.

One article is referencing the other article. The only one reporting this is Hollywood Reporter and all the others sites are using it as their source of info. More articles referencing Hollywood Reporter doesn't change what I said.

$750 million is not an accurate box office success and as usual Hollywood Reporter is pulling mess out of the air. For as long as I can remember, the number was between 2.5x and 3x budget. Otherwise, they are saying Guardians of the Galaxy barely made a profit (similar budget of $170 with a $775 worldwide return.)

they spent $150MM on marketing per today's NYT. no way break even is $437.5 - $525MM for theatrical release. the profits will come from ancillary revenue streams: DVD, TV, merchandising.

they spent $150MM on marketing per today's NYT. no way break even is $437.5 - $525MM for theatrical release. the profits will come from ancillary revenue streams: DVD, TV, merchandising.

All offset by product placement as is usual for these types of movies. For those who saw the movie, they'll understand there were a lot of product placements, just like BvS.

Edited by rjrjr

Right.

They also spent "tens of millions" on the re-shoots that are not included in that $175mm budget either.

-J.