• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Countless variant covers, characters being killed off, people buying boxes of books and holding them on speculation. Sure sounds like the 1990s bubble to me. I have to wonder what would have happened to the market if eBay had been around back then.

eBay is the major difference between this bubble and the 1990s bubble. eBay has allowed for a much, much larger audience to have an opportunity to get at these books and, in turn, has led to fiercer competition for the books. Add in the fact that people are buying books based on movies or TV shows that may happen which sounds a lot like stock speculation, only with a physical commodity instead of a stock, bond or investable commodity like oil futures.

Deadpool is hot right now, but NM #98 is not a particularly rare book, even in high grade. There are 4,475 copies in the Census between 9.0 and 9.8. Once the speculators have paid their pretty penny for their copies, the market will correct itself and prices will stabilize. As a collector and a Deadpool fan, I'd be insane to pay market prices for a 9.8 copy of NM#98 right now.

:applause:

Countless variant covers, characters being killed off, people buying boxes of books and holding them on speculation. Sure sounds like the 1990s bubble to me. I have to wonder what would have happened to the market if eBay had been around back then.

eBay is the major difference between this bubble and the 1990s bubble. eBay has allowed for a much, much larger audience to have an opportunity to get at these books and, in turn, has led to fiercer competition for the books. Add in the fact that people are buying books based on movies or TV shows that may happen which sounds a lot like stock speculation, only with a physical commodity instead of a stock, bond or investable commodity like oil futures.

Deadpool is hot right now, but NM #98 is not a particularly rare book, even in high grade. There are 4,475 copies in the Census between 9.0 and 9.8. Once the speculators have paid their pretty penny for their copies, the market will correct itself and prices will stabilize. As a collector and a Deadpool fan, I'd be insane to pay market prices for a 9.8 copy of NM#98 right now.

:applause:

:golfclap:

NM 98 reminds me of a 1985 Mark Mcgwire rookie card

trade or sell all your NM98's now if you can ,

imagine being able to trade a CGC NM98 for a NGC 10 dollar indian gold piece with actual value if someone who had the coin was that foolish...

with so many graded NM 98's out there chances are you can buy it back at 1/10th price in ten years if you so wanted

Edited by 1950's war comics

The major difference between the 90's and now isn't just eBay and the internet...

It's the fact that the new comics market is 1/10th the size it was then.

Has it shrunk that much? I feel more of the money is spread around and not concentrated in a few titles like it was in the 90s. The variety available for new comic readers is much, much greater than it was in the 90s. I believe the new comic market has shrunk some, I just think it is larger than 1/10th the size it use to be. Maybe 3/4? Maybe 1/2? hm Are we basing this on the number of brick and mortar shops? We now have online mega shops like Midtown Comics, DCBS, etc. (and eBay for that matter) which I feel take up the slack for missing brick and mortars.

How do you think the back issue market has held up? Is that market smaller than it was in the 90s? I feel there was a dip in the late 90s and early 2000s, but we are roughly the same as we were in the 90s today. Conventions have more attendees, but the number of dealers and comic collectors feels roughly the same to me.

Edited by rjrjr

imagine being able to trade a CGC NM98 for a NGC 10 dollar indian gold piece with actual value if someone who had the coin was that foolish...

with so many graded NM 98's out there chances are you can buy it back at 1/10th price in ten years if you so wanted

So can I get Larry Bird rookies cheap now ?

Yeah you can. I grabbed a Jordan rookie last year for what I consider a nice price.

Yeah you can. I grabbed a Jordan rookie last year for what I consider a nice price.

Sweet ...gonna look into this .. (thumbs u

I'd still like to know who is buying 9.8 NM 98's at $1000. Is there one person on these boards who bought one at that price?

A dealer at the Pittsburgh Comicon had a CGC 9.8 listed for $1500. Needless to say, I bought a Wolverine #1 instead.

If somebody was to actually pay that kinda price for one they are out of their Gruddamned mind. :screwy:

I'd still like to know who is buying 9.8 NM 98's at $1000. Is there one person on these boards who bought one at that price?

A dealer at the Pittsburgh Comicon had a CGC 9.8 listed for $1500. Needless to say, I bought a Wolverine #1 instead.

If somebody was to actually pay that kinda price for one they are out of their Gruddamned mind. :screwy:

Bet someone did ...

When will the X-Force 2 bubble burst ? Ha ha

Edited by wingjam

Who's this 'Jordan'? DC or Marvel?

Who's this 'Jordan'? DC or Marvel?

Epic....

I think a boardie may have been trying to sell a 9.6 for 800 and 1000 for a 9.8 at NYCC.

What is there to burst? (shrug) It went from being a $450 book to an $800 book after a long awaited, much anticipated movie was announced.

There are certainly other books, particularly in the copper age, that are far more fraudulent and over-valued than this one to be worrying about IMO.

-J.

It's not about how much people like the character or want the book, it's about how many of the books exist, and the ratio between those who want and the copies in existence

("in existence" and "in the market" are not the same thing.

The book is not like the Detective 33 in your sig line, which has limited supply because there just aren't as many copies in the world as there are people who'd like to have it. Everybody out there with multiple copies of that book could divest of their dupes and it would still be rare.

But if everybody with multiples of New Mutants 98 divested of their dupes, those dupes could line the floors a million bird cages.

The "limited" supply of NM 98 has entirely to do with the fact that there are many many copies which are being held by people. These books were not thrown out. The vast majority were treated carefully and very many of them weren't even read before being tucked away. Not even unsold copies were destroyed.

There are more people banging the drum touting the value of common books because there are more people who have them to sell.

But all it would take to impact the value would be a few of those people to stop banging that drum, either because they're unloading (or have unloaded their copies) or because they want to push something else (like something they have even MORE copies of),

Edited by bluechip