• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Do you think that this bubble will now burst as Walking Dead has returned to TV and the boardie zealots only have the attention span to over-value one comic at a time...?

:shrug:

Nope.

I think yep. Speculators are short on memory and patience.

There are about 3,000 'over-value' "keys" out there right now. I'd say our attention span is pretty vast...

(thumbs u BINGO!

Do you think that this bubble will now burst as Walking Dead has returned to TV and the boardie zealots only have the attention span to over-value one comic at a time...?

Nope.

There are about 3,000 'over-value' "keys" out there right now. I'd say our attention span is pretty vast...

I didn't know you speculated on over-valued books.

Nope.

I didn't know you speculated on over-valued books.

They aren't overvalued when I "speculate" on them... (shrug)

Someone requested that I post a comment here that I posted in another thread regarding my experience at NYCC, so here goes:

Liefeld was charging $30 for a signature on NM 87 or 98. $20 for any other book. Yet there was still a line of people at his table getting sigs. He had a dedicated CGC employee witnessing. I submitted some books for grading, including 6 (unsigned) NM 98s. The conversation that I had with the CGC employee seemed to indicate what we all suspected; a TON of people are submitting this book for grading. There is going to be a flood on eBay soon, I suspect. If you're not holding long-term, the time to sell is probably now, if you want to avoid massive competition once those books start shipping back to their owners.

Now, it's quite possible that a lot of people were getting sigs but not slabbing, or they'll be slabbing but not selling, but certainly there's a good amount of people looking to cash in. My plan is to hold onto my best slab and start to sell off the rest (depending on how the market is when I get my delivery). I imagine we're going to see a lot of copies popping up on eBay once those NYCC books start shipping.

I don't know if I should have bothered with getting my copies SSed. Not kicking myself for not doing it. What I am kicking myself for not doing is getting my ASM 361s signed by Mark Bagley, who was signing about 10 yards from the CGC booth, and only requesting donations to Hero Initiative (a seriously worthy charity, especially for comic fans) for sigs. I did get Claremont to sign a Wolverine 1.

With only about 1 in 4 books historically grading out at a 9.8 or better, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over "a flood" of 9.8's hitting the market and "depressing" it. There will always be a nice premium for the 9.8's and the book will never be "cheap" again. (thumbs u

-J,

I think most older collectors (those watching the speculation going on) don't realize how big Deadpool actually is.

Like I said earlier, I've heard store owners tell me that Deadpool literally carries their stores financially. It's Wolverine all over again, and he's been going strong for what, 25+ years?

I think most older collectors (those watching the speculation going on) don't realize how big Deadpool actually is.

Like I said earlier, I've heard store owners tell me that Deadpool literally carries their stores financially. It's Wolverine all over again, and he's been going strong for what, 25+ years?

I have NM 98, X-Force 2, enjoyed the Joe Kelly run of the Deadpool title. Bought them when new, saw the rise in popularity.

Then again, I actually read comics rather than speculate.

I can't imaging how popular he will get if the movie is a success. I can't imagine most of the new fans will be clammering for a NM 98 for $1000 but stranger things have happened.

I can't imaging how popular he will get if the movie is a success. I can't imagine most of the new fans will be clammering for a NM 98 for $1000 but stranger things have happened.

Some young/teenage boy/girl see the movie. Love it. Get into comics. Grow up. Get a paying job. Decide to buy something that reminds them of happy childhood memories.

Right now the only driving NM98 are the collectors/hoarders...not the general public. Wait 20 years before we can assess the true impact (overblown hype or the next IH 181?).

Some young/teenage boy/girl see the movie. Love it. Get into comics. Grow up. Get a paying job. Decide to buy something that reminds them of happy childhood memories.

Right now the only driving NM98 are the collectors/hoarders...not the general public. Wait 20 years before we can assess the true impact (overblown hype or the next IH 181?).

Name (1) character who is more popular than Deadpool from the copper age to present.

With only about 1 in 4 books historically grading out at a 9.8 or better, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over "a flood" of 9.8's hitting the market and "depressing" it. There will always be a nice premium for the 9.8's and the book will never be "cheap" again. (thumbs u

-J,

It depends on what your idea of ''cheap'' is for 9.8's.

Name (1) character who is more popular than Deadpool from the copper age to present.

Does Walking Dead characters count?

Popular to whom? The general public doesn't know Deadpool from Omega Red.

Popular to comic book collectors...I'll go with Venom.

Popular versus Walking Dead fanatics...I'll go with Rick.

Again, Deadpool just blew up a few months ago.

Popular to whom? The general public doesn't know Deadpool from Omega Red.

Popular to comic book collectors...I'll go with Venom.

Popular versus Walking Dead fanatics...I'll go with Rick.

Again, Deadpool just blew up a few months ago.

And only on the basis for a 'possible' movie.

Rick Grimes :sumo:

Jim

Deadpool blew up a few months ago? NM 98 has been a $400 book in 9.8 for almost two years now. And it was a $200-300 book before that.

A 9.9 copy sold for $12,000 several years ago.

I was seeing zillions of Deadpool costumes at shows more than 5 years ago.

Deadpool being hot is not new.