• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

I think most older collectors (those watching the speculation going on) don't realize how big Deadpool actually is.

Like I said earlier, I've heard store owners tell me that Deadpool literally carries their stores financially. It's Wolverine all over again, and he's been going strong for what, 25+ years?

I can't imaging how popular he will get if the movie is a success. I can't imagine most of the new fans will be clammering for a NM 98 for $1000 but stranger things have happened.

Some young/teenage boy/girl see the movie. Love it. Get into comics. Grow up. Get a paying job. Decide to buy something that reminds them of happy childhood memories.

Right now the only driving NM98 are the collectors/hoarders...not the general public. Wait 20 years before we can assess the true impact (overblown hype or the next IH 181?).

Name (1) character who is more popular than Deadpool from the copper age to present.

Leonardo

Donatello

Michelangelo

Raphael

Deadpool blew up a few months ago? NM 98 has been a $400 book in 9.8 for almost two years now. And it was a $200-300 book before that.

A 9.9 copy sold for $12,000 several years ago.

I was seeing zillions of Deadpool costumes at shows more than 5 years ago.

Deadpool being hot is not new.

Nope, but the huge sudden influx of bandwagon speculators is.

I have hundreds of comics. My son has one. The only one he wanted was a New Mutants 98. Luckily I bought it for him a couple months ago. I agree with everyone who says he's hugely popular with the younger crowd.

There's a club owner in Toronto that I promised a NM 98 to as a gift the next time I see him. I promised to get him a copy 3 months ago. :facepalm:

lol

He tells me he's wanted a copy his entire life. I think he's about 35. He no longer actively collects (he holds what he has), he certainly doesn't speculate. He just wants a copy. There's going to be a lot of people like that.

Deadpool blew up a few months ago? NM 98 has been a $400 book in 9.8 for almost two years now. And it was a $200-300 book before that.

Sorry, let me clarify. Yes, I agree he's been popular for a long time...consistently popular. I was a big fan when the issue originally hit the shelves.

But "blew up"...$400 to $1,000, a new post about NM98 popping up every other day, comparing NM98 to IH 181, etc....all within the past few months.

Nope, but the huge sudden influx of bandwagon speculators is.

And that's what's catapulted this book from $350 to $400 in 9.8 to $1000 practically overnight.

Sorry, let me clarify. Yes, I agree he's been popular for a long time...consistently popular. I was a big fan when the issue originally hit the shelves.

But "blew up"...$400 to $1,000, a new post about NM98 popping up every other day, comparing NM98 to IH 181, etc....all within the past few months.

You should have been on this forum 10 years ago. There was 10 Hulk 181 threads a week. People starting making 181 threads just to spite the forum. This is very similar.

I have hundreds of comics. My son has one. The only one he wanted was a New Mutants 98. Luckily I bought it for him a couple months ago. I agree with everyone who says he's hugely popular with the younger crowd.

There's a club owner in Toronto that I promised a NM 98 to as a gift the next time I see him. I promised to get him a copy 3 months ago. :facepalm:

lol

He tells me he's wanted a copy his entire life. I think he's about 35. He no longer actively collects (he holds what he has), he certainly doesn't speculate. He just wants a copy. There's going to be a lot of people like that.

He should have bought a copy when nobody cared about the character. Or wait a few years after the hype dies down and pick up a copy. Buying a copy right now isn't the most financially sound decision to make.

This is not a valid comparison. Look at the census numbers for NM 98. Almost a little over HALF of all submitted are in 9.6 or better. These prices have to be unsustainable over the long term. I could be wrong, but I hope not as this does not paint a healthy picture for the vinatge comic book market as a whole.

There is nothing wrong with steadily increasing prices, but here is the issue: there is a direct coorelation between movie announcements and speculation. It has never been this bad before.

That's not "THE" 9.9 (different cert #). Ask price $250 more than that first one sold for.

My 9.6 has gone up more in (both % and dollars). lol

Thus endeth the lesson.

That's not "THE" 9.9 (different cert #). Ask price $250 more than that first one sold for.

My 9.6 has gone up more in (both % and dollars). lol

Thus endeth the lesson.

That is a very good/disturbing point. lol

-J.