• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

What is there to burst? (shrug) It went from being a $450 book to an $800 book after a long awaited, much anticipated movie was announced.

There are certainly other books, particularly in the copper age, that are far more fraudulent and over-valued than this one to be worrying about IMO.

-J.

Mind naming some? :popcorn:

I put ASM 301 on the top of the list followed by BA 12 (though the latter is more properly classified as a "modern").

-J.

What is there to burst? (shrug) It went from being a $450 book to an $800 book after a long awaited, much anticipated movie was announced.

There are certainly other books, particularly in the copper age, that are far more fraudulent and over-valued than this one to be worrying about IMO.

-J.

This. People were paying 450+ before the movie announcement. I don't think this book will ever be had at bargain prices anymore.

So, the print run for New Mutants #98 was large enough to give every man/woman/child in Akron, Ohio their own copy?

Interesting.

hm

-T

Gotta move to Akron...

No, you really don't want to.

What happened to Akron? Dying town?

Some of my best memories as a late teen and young man are rooted in Akron. :cloud9:

Did you live in Akron, Roy? I work about 15 minutes outside of Akron but I worked in downtown Akron for about 10 years before taking this job.

I have an aunt and uncle and cousins just outside Loyal Oak just off Cleveland / Massilon Rd and I was also best friends with a family just outside Cuyahoga Falls and spent many a weekend partying in downtown Akron and at the Red Roof Inn just off Fairlawn in the late 1980's. My sister ended up marrying the oldest brother of my buddies down there.

I also lost *ahem* something down there for the first time that you can only lose once. :whistle:

There were many good times had by this boardie in Akron. :headbang:

My sister and brother-in-law live in Akron, and while I don't think I'd want to move there, it always seemed a pleasant enough place to visit.

-J.

This. People were paying 450+ before the movie announcement. I don't think this book will ever be had at bargain prices anymore.

indeed..... If Ryan Reynolds nails this role .. from what Ive seen in trailer he looks like a great fit...who knows what will happen... I personally have no interest in this book ... Will watch the movie ... like Deadpool.... dont like Leifeld art......if I found a NM98 I would flip it.

It feels like the whole hobby is due for a...correction. Movie and TV hype have been pumping books up like crazy lately and the bubble is due to burst eventually. The market can't handle these inflated prices. I know that comics are "in" right now but eventually studios will stop making or slow down production of comic book movies and the prices will settle. I just hope it doesn't completely collapse like it did in the 1990s.

It feels like the whole hobby is due for a...correction. Movie and TV hype have been pumping books up like crazy lately and the bubble is due to burst eventually. The market can't handle these inflated prices. I know that comics are "in" right now but eventually studios will stop making or slow down production of comic book movies and the prices will settle. I just hope it doesn't completely collapse like it did in the 1990s.

I hope it comes crashing down. Then I can buy a bunch of keys for a lot cheaper. :grin:

This. When you have keys doubling in price over days/weeks it doesn't signal a market that is going to be healthy long-term.

This. When you have keys doubling in price over days/weeks it doesn't signal a market that is going to be healthy long-term.

Once all the wishful thinkers have spent their bank.

Again, I ask, how does a book going up in value $300-350 over a couple of weeks period portend "the end of the hobby as we know it"? The movie announcement increased the demand even further of an already very popular character. Until enough copies are flushed out to satisfy demand, prices will rise. This is basic economics, not a "bubble". At least not as it pertains to this book. And that is certainly something that should be considered but on a book by book basis. Question the sudden interest in characters like rocket raccoon and star lord. Characters that nobody gave two bleeps about until a movie came out. Now, based solely on that, $5.00 books are "selling" for $2000. That's the kind of nonsense that should be questioned. Dead pool and NM98 have been copper blue chips for years already, and have cultivated a steady rise in value and popularity. The same cannot be said for the aforementioned guardians of the galaxy brethren.

-J.

Again, I ask, how does a book going up in value $300-350 over a couple of weeks period portend "the end of the hobby as we know it"? The movie announcement increased the demand even further of an already very popular character. Until enough copies are flushed out to satisfy demand, prices will rise. This is basic economics, not a "bubble". At least not as it pertains to this book. And that is certainly something that should be considered but on a book by book basis. Question the sudden interest in characters like rocket raccoon and star lord. Characters that nobody gave two bleeps about until a movie came out. Now, based solely on that, $5.00 books are "selling" for $2000. That's the kind of nonsense that should be questioned. Dead pool and NM98 have been copper blue chips for years already, and have cultivated a steady rise in value and popularity. The same cannot be said for the aforementioned guardians of the galaxy brethren.

-J.

When you have something like 9,000 copies graded, half of which are in 9.8, and those 9.8s double in value to $1,000 in the span of a week, that seems like a healthy and sustainable rise to you?

I actually have less problem with the prices GOTG related books are getting, as they are less plentiful and prices will naturally go up in those cases due to demand. NM #98 snuck up on nobody, and there are a ton of copies to go around once they get put on the market. Same with X-Force #2, a book we couldn't move for $5 a few weeks ago and now apparently in high demand. Not sustainable.

-J.

It's a lot more than that though.

Low grades of some mega-keys have now apparently doubled or tripled over the past few months (at least if a few sales are to be believed), a few Bronze Age #1s in plentiful supply keep running and running and then... Squirrel Girl.

Maybe the rapidly inflating prices just reflect a huge surge of demand as a side-effect of easy money. The entire comic book market is a tiny one, surely not even equal to a day's worth of trading on a major stock exchange. If big investment money comes sloshing in, who's to say what the "correct" prices are? Maybe it's a relatively low liquidity market that has been artificially depressed for years and now we're seeing some real price discovery with all thew new buyers. I doubt it, it sure feels bubbly. But nobody knows for sure.

-J.

When you have something like 9,000 copies graded, half of which are in 9.8, and those 9.8s double in value to $1,000 in the span of a week, that seems like a healthy and sustainable rise to you?

I actually have less problem with the prices GOTG related books are getting, as they are less plentiful and prices will naturally go up in those cases due to demand. NM #98 snuck up on nobody, and there are a ton of copies to go around once they get put on the market. Same with X-Force #2, a book we couldn't move for $5 a few weeks ago and now apparently in high demand. Not sustainable.

Strange, since X-Force #1 has a 1 page "Cable Guide" write up and illustration on Deadpool. Seems to me this should be his 2nd appearance. :popcorn:

-J.

Strange, since X-Force #1 has a 1 page "Cable Guide" write up and illustration on Deadpool. Seems to me this should be his 2nd appearance. :popcorn:

Strange, I never claimed it to be his second appearance. lol

-J.

It's a lot more than that though.

Low grades of some mega-keys have now apparently doubled or tripled over the past few months (at least if a few sales are to be believed), a few Bronze Age #1s in plentiful supply keep running and running and then... Squirrel Girl.

Maybe the rapidly inflating prices just reflect a huge surge of demand as a side-effect of easy money. The entire comic book market is a tiny one, surely not even equal to a day's worth of trading on a major stock exchange. If big investment money comes sloshing in, who's to say what the "correct" prices are? Maybe it's a relatively low liquidity market that has been artificially depressed for years and now we're seeing some real price discovery with all thew new buyers. I doubt it, it sure feels bubbly. But nobody knows for sure.

All of this points to the market looking Bubblicious. Prices are running at least partially because of speculative buying. If that money leaves, these prices are no longer propped up. If the first Squirrel Girl is truly worth $100 raw then I'm obviously completely misguided here.

Countless variant covers, characters being killed off, people buying boxes of books and holding them on speculation. Sure sounds like the 1990s bubble to me. I have to wonder what would have happened to the market if eBay had been around back then.

eBay is the major difference between this bubble and the 1990s bubble. eBay has allowed for a much, much larger audience to have an opportunity to get at these books and, in turn, has led to fiercer competition for the books. Add in the fact that people are buying books based on movies or TV shows that may happen which sounds a lot like stock speculation, only with a physical commodity instead of a stock, bond or investable commodity like oil futures.

Deadpool is hot right now, but NM #98 is not a particularly rare book, even in high grade. There are 4,475 copies in the Census between 9.0 and 9.8. Once the speculators have paid their pretty penny for their copies, the market will correct itself and prices will stabilize. As a collector and a Deadpool fan, I'd be insane to pay market prices for a 9.8 copy of NM#98 right now.