• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

From the Australian article where those photos originated, there were some interesting budget details.

It’s a Marvel in the making as Thor: Ragnarok’s ‘majestical’ universe rises on Gold Coast

As these first images of one of the many Thor: Rangarok sets being built on the lot at Village Roadshow Studios confirm, the Gold Coast is about to be transformed into a world worthy of a galaxy of Marvel heroes and villains.

Principal photography on Marvel’s Phase 3 Thor sequel, Thor: Ragnarok, the biggest movie to be made in Australia this year, will begin on July 4 and continue until at least the end of October.

While the budget for the third Thor outing is yet to be revealed, it’s expected to be somewhere around the $350 million Disney spent on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Thor: Ragnarok is forecast to spend more than $100 million of its budget in the Sunshine State and employ 750 Queenslanders as crew.

Marvel executive David Grant says “lots” of locals will get an opportunity to be involved in the production.

“Hundreds and hundreds of local folk — as many as we can possibly get while we are there,” he says.

:o

This sounds like it is going to be a HUGE movie! And there are spaceships too.

Production crew members have been going hammer and tongs for the past few months to get the film’s epic array of props, costumes and sets, said to include several spaceships, ready for July 4.

The State Government helped fund the new $16 million 4000sq m Sound Stage 9 on the Oxenford studio lot, with construction fast-tracked to ensure it was ready in time for Thor.

:whee:

From the Australian article where those photos originated, there were some interesting budget details.

It’s a Marvel in the making as Thor: Ragnarok’s ‘majestical’ universe rises on Gold Coast

As these first images of one of the many Thor: Rangarok sets being built on the lot at Village Roadshow Studios confirm, the Gold Coast is about to be transformed into a world worthy of a galaxy of Marvel heroes and villains.

Principal photography on Marvel’s Phase 3 Thor sequel, Thor: Ragnarok, the biggest movie to be made in Australia this year, will begin on July 4 and continue until at least the end of October.

While the budget for the third Thor outing is yet to be revealed, it’s expected to be somewhere around the $350 million Disney spent on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Thor: Ragnarok is forecast to spend more than $100 million of its budget in the Sunshine State and employ 750 Queenslanders as crew.

Marvel executive David Grant says “lots” of locals will get an opportunity to be involved in the production.

“Hundreds and hundreds of local folk — as many as we can possibly get while we are there,” he says.

Production crew members have been going hammer and tongs for the past few months to get the film’s epic array of props, costumes and sets, said to include several spaceships, ready for July 4.

The State Government helped fund the new $16 million 4000sq m Sound Stage 9 on the Oxenford studio lot, with construction fast-tracked to ensure it was ready in time for Thor.

Wow, if they're spending $350M on Ragnarok, Infinity War could actually cost Disney as much as $500M for each film. I wouldn't think they'd be willing to spend more than Civil War cost. I can see this being another billion dollar film at the box office though.

The 3rd installments of their stand alone films have exceeded the gross of their 2 predecessors so far & cost much less to make (IM 1, 2 $340M gross $1.209B, IM 3 $200M gross $1.215B) (Cap 1, 2 $310M gross $1.085B, Cap 3 $250M gross $1.145B+).

Thor might be the exception here (Thor 1, 2 $320M gross $1.0939B Thor 3 $350M??? gross $1B+/-???).

THOR: RAGNAROK Director Taika Waititi Discusses Working Relationship With Marvel And Bringing Humor To Asgard

The Verge recently had the chance to catch up with Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi, and the filmmaker shed some light on how he's prepping to enter the Marvel Cinematic Universe after making a number of low-budget, critically acclaimed movies.

"It hasn't been that different. So far it's been good!" Waititi revealed. "I've been more organized, which is saying something, for a guy like me to be organized. I'm surrounded by really intelligent, amazing people. I've got access to great minds and great resources. So I'm at a real advantage. In terms of the studio thing, these people don't act like a studio. They're cool, smart storytellers. I've been enjoying hanging out with them. And I've made commercials, so I've worked with the worst people in the world. Nothing could be more restrictive than working with people in advertising."

Asked about the level of humour in the movie and whether or not a big budget Marvel Studios movie like Thor: Ragnarok can actually "feel" like his previous work, the director went on to explain that he feels like he's still able to bring his own unique vision to this world. "Yes, it will. Until it doesn't. [Laughs] I don't know, I can only hope. I've got to bring as much of myself as I can to this, and then see how it goes. You obviously need people overseeing the bigger picture, the next five movies or whatever. Otherwise we'd all be left to our own devices, and God knows what would happen."

I have to say I'm more excited about this Thor movie than any other, and I really enjoyed the first one (and even the second to some extent, especially the Thor/Loki stuff). With that cast and -- I hope -- a strong -script, it should be an event movie for the MCU fans.

Dan

I have to say I'm more excited about this Thor movie than any other, and I really enjoyed the first one (and even the second to some extent, especially the Thor/Loki stuff). With that cast and -- I hope -- a strong -script, it should be an event movie for the MCU fans.

Dan

Me too but I hope the director doesn't try and take the whole humor theme too far especially when the movie title is about the end of all things. Keep it edgy and gripping not campy and "hey everyone in Asgard is death" followed by a punch line.

Wow, if they're spending $350M on Ragnarok, Infinity War could actually cost Disney as much as $500M for each film. I wouldn't think they'd be willing to spend more than Civil War cost. I can see this being another billion dollar film at the box office though.

The 3rd installments of their stand alone films have exceeded the gross of their 2 predecessors so far & cost much less to make (IM 1, 2 $340M gross $1.209B, IM 3 $200M gross $1.215B) (Cap 1, 2 $310M gross $1.085B, Cap 3 $250M gross $1.145B+).

Thor might be the exception here (Thor 1, 2 $320M gross $1.0939B Thor 3 $350M??? gross $1B+/-???).

I think there would be some obvious savings since the Avengers part 1 and 2 are about the same -script and they are likely filming it all together as we speak. The Avengers movies should be automatic $1B+ movie each and Thor appears to be closely tied to it with Thanos making a key appearance, robbing the Asgard vault, maybe confronting Loki and of course Thor. I can't wait for this movie.

Thor 3 is ‘Most Different’ Marvel Movie, Director Talks Hulk Dynamic

In an interview with Polygon, Waititi revealed the story has gone through many changes but it will definitely feature “buddy elements” between the two Avengers absent in Captain America: Civil War: Thor and Hulk. Still, it’s hard to say what the overall tone of the movie will be:

“It’s hard to say what the movie is because it’s changing. The plot has changed and the -script has changed. There are buddy elements to it between Thor and the Hulk, but who knows what the final movie will look like.”

Waititi went on to say this might be the “most different Marvel movie to date and one of the biggest,” adding that he probably couldn’t have done it without Kevin Feige’s trust and hands-off approach as executive producer. The director also shared he feels like a guest in the well-established MCU but with “the creative freedom to do what I want.”