• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

Thor: Ragnarok Adds Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum, Karl Urban And More To Cast

The casting for the much-anticipated Thor: Ragnarok from Marvel Studios has been announced, and it includes some stellar talent.

"Two-time Oscar®-winner Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine,” “Carol, “Cinderella”) joins Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok” as the mysterious and powerful new villain Hela, along with Jeff Goldblum (the upcoming “Independence Day: Resurgence,” “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “Jurassic Park”) who joins the cast as the eccentric Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson (“Creed,” “Selma”) who will bring the classic hero Valkyrie to life on the big screen, and Karl Urban (“Star Trek” trilogy, “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”) who will add his might to the fray as Skurge."

After being absent in Captain America: Civil War, fans now get to see just what Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) have been up to this entire time. The casting announcement includes a few surprises, like Jeff Goldblum's role of The Grandmaster and Karl Urban as Skurge. It also features the official confirmation of Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, which hopefully means that my Secret Avengers team wishlist just got a little closer to reality.

:whee:

No Enchantress?

I'm sure she's coming. They just haven't cast her yet. Can you introduce the Executioner without the Enchantress?

That last Bosco post says Karl Urban is playing Skurge. Is that another name for the Executioner?

That is correct.

I'm really looking forward to this movie, and was excited with the quality of the actors in this casting announcement. I'm a bit perplexed that they'd bring the Executioner without the Enchantress... and in fact when I heard the casting on Valkyrie I thought it was partly motivated so as to have her be more of a contrasting type physically to the Enchantress (in addition to her being an excellent actress, by the way). So I find it odd we don't have an Enchantress yet. Perhaps the operative word is "yet".

Connect the dots.

Cate Blanchett has been cast as Hela. Karl Urban has been cast as the Executioner.

You don't pay Cate Blanchett and then bring in yet another actress to play yet another female villain.

They are going with Hela instead of the Enchantress in this movie.

Also their is already an Enchantress in DC's upcoming Suicide Squad so they are probably trying to differentiate away from that name.

Connect the dots.

Cate Blanchett has been cast as Hela. Karl Urban has been cast as the Executioner.

You don't pay Cate Blanchett and then bring in yet another actress to play yet another female villain.

They are going with Hela instead of the Enchantress in this movie.

Also their is already an Enchantress in DC's upcoming Suicide Squad so they are probably trying to differentiate away from that name.

Besides, the God of Hel & the Executioner who sends them there, seems to have a nice ring to it. Edited by chezmtghut

But, but, but..... it's the Enchantress.

Me wants the Enchantress.

I can totally relate. I'd like to see her also, but they will probably leave her till phase 4. It would be nice to see the Enchantress show up in a cameo at least, to save the Executioner, only to become her servant instead of Hela's in the end. If they bring the masters of evil together after Infinity War, she will surely have a main role. That would be a long wait though.