• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR: RAGNAROK official thread (7/28/2017)
5 5

896 posts in this topic

What Comic Book Moments Can We Expect To See in 'Thor: Ragnarok'?

With the movie set to feature an extensive Thor/Hulk team-up though — and, it seems, a brand new superhero for the MCU —it's perhaps not too surprising that some of us are already getting completely overexcited at the prospect of Ragnarok and all of its attendant awesomeness. As such, it seemed about time to take a look at what we might see in the movie.

5. It's The End of the World As We Know It

Don't be too surprised if we see the likes of Fenrir the wolf and the giant Hymir come together under the leadership of a vengeful Loki — as well as the arrival of the giant fire demon Surtur, perhaps even in league with Hela.

4. But Don't Worry, It'll Probably All Be Fine

Expect Thor to be reborn then — likely via a brief spell in a purgatory-like netherworld in which he must choose to live and take control of his own destiny.

3. Thor and Hulk, Going Toe to Toe

Could we even perhaps see a brief riff on the classic real life (and comic book) debate over which one is stronger?

2. A Very Specific Cosmic Crossover

Thor and the mad Titan Thanos (of impending Avengers: Infinity War fame) have been battling one another in the comic books for years, so it seems plausible that Thanos and the Thunder God will find a spare moment to pound on one another in some sort of epic fashion.

1. A Whole New Home For Our Heroes

Y'see, after dying in the comic book Ragnarok (and eventually finding himself restored to life), Thor wound up moving Asgard to a field in Oklahoma.

Yes, please. All that!

There are no statuesque, blond, actresses of Austrian descent that can play this role? What's next? We have Jason Statham as T'Challa? I mean, Dark World was awful. This will not help my enthusiasm to see this.

Black Valkyrie? reallly, wtf, another win for the P.C. Fascists...

There are no statuesque, blond, actresses of Austrian descent that can play this role? What's next? We have Jason Statham as T'Challa? I mean, Dark World was awful. This will not help my enthusiasm to see this.

Eh, I'm a "PC fascist" and I don't consider this a win at all. Just a poor casting decision. Valkyrie's visual identity in the comics is as a platinum blonde -- which is true to the underlying Norse mythology. Brunnhilde is a (real-world) mythological figure being herself, not a cosmic entity inhabiting an avatar (e.g. Thor in the comics).

I fully support inclusive changes when they make sense in the story, but this choice just seems like pandering.

Edited by Vorpal

Eh, I'm a "PC fascist" and I don't consider this a win at all. Just a poor casting decision. Valkyrie's visual identity in the comics is as a platinum blonde -- which is true to the underlying Norse mythology. Brunnhilde is a (real-world) mythological figure being herself, not a cosmic entity inhabiting an avatar (e.g. Thor in the comics).

I fully support inclusive changes when they make sense in the story, but this choice just seems like pandering.

my post was strongly worded out of general frustration, but i appreciate a well thought out and mature response, especially if we fall on opposite sides. Kudos for setting a good example.

One thing I would add just generally:

A person's race and gender is part of who they are, and has an impact on their life experiences, perspective, etc.

So even the ones that seem less intrusive (Nick Fury, Heimdall), still are wrong in my books. Asgard is presented as a singular realm of immortals, they should all be homogeneous in appearance, and aligned to the Norse mythology they come from. An asian "Warriors 3" from another realm, that works, loki blue from frost giant birth -- that also works and is a race from another realm as well. African-Asgardians.........yah, no basis in reality. Complete and total rubbish.

Can't they dye her hair or have her wear a wig?

they could, but that would imply she was hired because she was the best person for the job, as opposed to someone able to do it with the right check boxes filled in.

Sounds Like Tom Hiddleston Will Be Playing 'LOKI' Beyond THOR: RAGNAROK After All... Maybe

“Truthfully, I do actually know at the moment how many more times I’m going to play Loki, but I’m not going to tell you,” he later told the New York Daily News. Hiddleston then assured that, “It’s not personal, it’s just keeping it fresh for all paying customers to enjoy their films. And, also, I’m the god of mischief so it’s my predisposition to play games.”

“When it comes to my relationship with Marvel, whenever I have said something it usually becomes expanded and misshapen and it then has no bearing to what I originally said at all,” the actor explained. “I have a pretty good sense of what my future with Marvel is but I don’t think it’s worth telling anyone because it may change. They are very smart over there and like any creative process, they are free to change their minds. Throughout the Marvel universe Loki has changed from movie to movie. Sometimes he’s even changed in the middle of movies in ways you may not even know.”

giphy.gif

Will Thor Ragnarok Turn Out To Be Planet Hulk?

Considering the name, “Ragnarok”, this final part of the Thor trilogy promises to be epic in scale with producers on record as saying it will be the equivalent of Captain America’s Winter Soldier in terms of quality. Comicbook Fan, “Thulk”, dropped us a line with his theory that Ragnarok may in fact be a cover for presenting the now iconic story, Planet Hulk, to the mass audience.

9 times out of 10, if you ask a Hulk fan which Green Goliath story they want to see on the big screen, they’ll say Planet Hulk. The story arc was one of the most popular Hulk tales to come around in some time, and led into the even bigger World War Hulk wherein Jade Jaws returns to Earth to fight everyone. So popular was this arc in fact that it even got its own direct to DVD animated film.

So why not just create a movie titled “Planet Hulk”? Well, that’s a sticky wicket. The distribution rights for Hulk films are, apparently, still owned by Universal Pictures, who assisted Marvel with creating the Ang Lee Hulk film and distributed the subsequent Incredible Hulk in the MCU.

Looking more at the story of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far, Thor and Hulk have already been confirmed to be in something of a “buddy cop” scenario in Ragnarok. With the pair being off planet, ending up on the gladiatorial world of Planet Hulk seems like a slam dunk. Keep elements from Thor in the forefront, incorporate the Odinson into the events of the Planet Hulk outline, and you’re good to go. Clearly, you can still have the subplots from the previous Thor films, such as Loki being Odin, still thrown in for good measure, but having Thor and Hulk in a no holds barred alien battle royale seems like a no brainer.

hm

Or have Loki/Odin capture Thor and the Hulk, convict them in some Asgardian kangaroo court and force them to fight in the arena to earn their honor back. Keeps everything neatly connected to the MCU that's already been established and you don't have to spend a lot of time introducing a ton of new characters like the Red King, Miek, etc. Furthermore, you don't have to explain the illuminati, of whom Marvel only has the rights to half and have introduced two or Sakaar. Asgard is already established, Loki is already a money villain, and you know that theater would pop when Hulk finally got his mitts on Loki.

Or have Loki/Odin capture Thor and the Hulk, convict them in some Asgardian kangaroo court and force them to fight in the arena to earn their honor back. Keeps everything neatly connected to the MCU that's already been established and you don't have to spend a lot of time introducing a ton of new characters like the Red King, Miek, etc. Furthermore, you don't have to explain the illuminati, of whom Marvel only has the rights to half and have introduced two or Sakaar. Asgard is already established, Loki is already a money villain, and you know that theater would pop when Hulk finally got his mitts on Loki.

I wouldn't do any of that because it's already been covered and would be a retread of selective Avengers scenes.

Been there, done that.

I want to see the Hulk & Thor be allies throughout the film, to the point where Thor really earns the Hulk's (not Banner's) trust & respect.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

So it has been confirmed that Cate Blanchett will play Hela. Jeff Goldblum will play the Grandmaster. Tessa Thompson will be Valkyrie and Karl Urban has been cast as the Executioner.

Add in the Hulk and you have a pretty solid cast. Hopefully this is good. :wishluck:

Exactly!

573f502b0fd8c-183406.jpg

Thor: Ragnarok Concept Art Offers First Look At Hela

Marvel unveiled some big news regarding Thor: Ragnarok earlier today. Not only did the studio reveal some star studded casting they unveiled some concept art for the film.

In the the new look at Ragnarok, we can see our first tease of Hela. Hela is the Asgardian Goddess of Death, born in Jotunheim. In Marvel Comics, Hela is the daughter of Loki, who we know is sitting on the throne of Asgard in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was Odin who appointed her the Goddess of Death, giving her rulership over the dead in the realms of Hel and Niffleheim.

During the Seige of Asgard story, Hela reveals to Loki that she has plans or place for the dead, so they will be left to wander Midgard forever. Needless to say, she is a villain and when she and Thor cross paths in Thor: Raganarok, it may be a good thing Thor has the Hulk to assist him with the problems she will certainly create for him.

Hela will be played by Cate Blanchett. “The continuation of the epic Thor franchise will be powerful and unique, and with the additions of Cate, Jeff, Tessa, Karl, and Mark to the cast we have the makings of his most dangerous and heroic adventure yet,” said Producer Kevin Feige. “The sheer, raw talent each of these actors brings to the screen can’t be quantified. Having any one of them join the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be an honor, and having all of them is incredible."

:whee: