• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, drotto said:

Jusr a few ideas, not sure if there is much merit in them.

I think you hit on a few solid additional detractors from Wonder Woman being a larger worldwide success. As I noted one page back and you restated, it has been pointed out by a few reporting sites Gadot's Israeli background and statements in support of her country has led to multiple country bannings. Four of the countries are still pushing for a wider Islamic backing (Algeria, Lebanon, Qatar, Tunisia).

Then there is Russia. How big an impact does it have on  worldwide total?

- Ant-Man: $11.5M

- Captain America: TFA: $8.6M

- Deadpool: $26M

- Doctor Strange: $22.3M

- Wonder Woman: $8M

As long as the lead doesn't come across as pro-Western or female-led, superhero origin movies seem to exceed $10M, no problem. So with Wonder Woman, it could have a missed opportunity of $3.5M to $18M because it was female-led. And being seen as a male-dominated culture, even local cinema experts pointed out the gap.

THR: Why 'Wonder Woman' Is Catching on More Slowly Overseas

One country where Wonder Woman has lagged well behind other superhero fare is Russia. "Superhero movies with a woman as the main character are rather untypical, which has had some impact on the box office performance of Wonder Woman," notes Russia's Exhibitor's Bulletin. So far, Wonder Woman has earned $8.4 million in Russia, compared with $27.8 million for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which debuted earlier this summer (the original Guardians earned $23.5 million).

I don't know where the article is getting $8.4M for Russia right now (currently sitting at $8,000,623 since 7/9/17). Wait until Wonder Woman 2. If the rumors are right, it will be based on the 80's fighting the Soviet Union. :whatthe:

What timing! This news hit yesterday.

Tunisia bans Wonder Woman film over Israeli star

7/19/17 - A Tunisian court has banned the US film "Wonder Woman" which stars an Israeli actress, more than a month after it had been scheduled to open at cinemas in the Arab state, a legal source said Wednesday. Lebanon has also banned Wonder Woman, on the grounds of a long-standing boycott of Israel.

The film was to have been screened at two venues in Tunis in early June but the showings were "suspended" following a complaint from the nationalist Al-Chaab party. The court finally decided to impose the ban last Friday, prosecution spokesman Sofiene Sliti said, although the verdict was only disclosed to the media this week without a reason given for the judgement.

Al-Chaab demanded the film be banned because its leading actress, Gal Gadot, had defended Israel's 2014 war on the Palestinian enclave of Gaza on Facebook. The case sparked controversy in Tunisia, with supporters of the ban calling for "no normalisation" of ties with the Jewish state and others criticizing censorship.

lol

Even the writer is goofing on himself now with these daily updates. But I like the level of details he has included.

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is The Tenth-Biggest Female-Led Hit Ever

Okay, this is the last day for a few days that I will have to bluff my way through one of these updates. I have a pretty good idea what I want to write about tomorrow and the film may well pass Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2's domestic gross by Friday or Saturday. Oh, and we'll have a pretty good idea by the end of the weekend if it's going to pass the (unadjusted-for-inflation) domestic total of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.

So, Wonder Woman made $910,000 yesterday, a drop of 28% from last Wednesday, to bring its 48-day total to $383.584M in North America. Which puts it at 28th place on the all-time domestic list, right behind Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2  ($386M) and Frozen ($400M).

As much as we like to talk about how Hollywood is scared of female-led movies because of overseas audiences, we should note that Wonder Woman (over/under $770 million worldwide) will be no. 14 on the all-time female-led worldwide grosser list (including Star Wars: The Last Jedi), behind Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn ($829 million), Inside Out ($857m), Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($865m), Zootopia ($1.023 billion), Alice In Wonderland ($1.025b), Finding Dory ($1.028b), Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ($1.56b), Beauty and the Beast ($1.261b), Frozen ($1.276b). Jurassic World ($1.671b), Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($2.068b) and Titanic ($2.186b).

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I think you hit on a few solid additional detractors from Wonder Woman being a larger worldwide success. As I noted one page back and you restated, it has been pointed out by a few reporting sites Gadot's Israeli background and statements in support of her country has led to multiple country bannings. Four of the countries are still pushing for a wider Islamic backing (Algeria, Lebanon, Qatar, Tunisia).

Then there is Russia. How big an impact does it have on  worldwide total?

- Ant-Man: $11.5M

- Captain America: TFA: $8.6M

- Deadpool: $26M

- Doctor Strange: $22.3M

- Wonder Woman: $8M

As long as the lead doesn't come across as pro-Western or female-led, superhero origin movies seem to exceed $10M, no problem. So with Wonder Woman, it could have a missed opportunity of $3.5M to $18M because it was female-led. And being seen as a male-dominated culture, even local cinema experts pointed out the gap.

THR: Why 'Wonder Woman' Is Catching on More Slowly Overseas

I don't know where the article is getting $8.4M for Russia right now (currently sitting at $8,000,623 since 7/9/17). Wait until Wonder Woman 2. If the rumors are right, it will be based on the 80's fighting the Soviet Union. :whatthe:

I think there is a distinct negative impact on this film for many foreign markets.  The US as a whole embraces woman and woman's equality.  We also tend to come across as more patriotic and gravitate to entertainment with pro-america themes.  WW has both, which in my mind is hurting it in the markets you mention.  It cpu me easily mean a negative of 50 plus mil. in boxoffice.

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

I think there is a distinct negative impact on this film for many foreign markets.  The US as a whole embraces woman and woman's equality.  We also tend to come across as more patriotic and gravitate to entertainment with pro-america themes.  WW has both, which in my mind is hurting it in the markets you mention.  It cpu me easily mean a negative of 50 plus mil. in boxoffice.

I wonder if this just becomes the risks some of these films have to accept if they want to be semi-loyal to the fans in meeting their character expectations?

Look at Suicide Squad. Keeping the design of Katana helped contribute to no China release date. That had to be a $75M-$90M risk. Though I bet at the time it was assumed not to be an issue.

r4YUmFh.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

-----------------------------------

Japanese Box Office (superhero origin movies):

- Ant-Man: $9.7M

- Deadpool: $18.9M

- Doctor Strange: $16.4M

- Guardians: $9.5M

- Man of Steel: $9M

- Suicide Squad: $15.6M

Should be interesting to see.

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

r4YUmFh.jpg

Remaining release dates:

- Japan: 25 August 2017

Japanese Box Office (superhero origin movies):

- Ant-Man: $9.7M

- Deadpool: $18.9M

- Doctor Strange: $16.4M

- Guardians: $9.5M

- Man of Steel: $9M

- Suicide Squad: $15.6M

Should be interesting to see.

I am going to say about 12 mil. For Japan and the movie finishes it run just shy of 800.

44 minutes ago, drotto said:

I am going to say about 12 mil. For Japan and the movie finishes it run just shy of 800.

That actually sounds like a very reasonable estimate. And by this weekend, Wonder Woman takes the Domestic Box Office lead.

RchULqT.jpg

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

That actually sounds like a very reasonable estimate. And by this weekend, Wonder Woman takes the Domestic Box Office lead.

RchULqT.jpg

My guess is that this film will be at 388-389 million by weekends end. It has an outside shot for 390 million, but that would be 100 to 1 chances hitting 390 million or above.

6 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

My guess is that this film will be at 388-389 million by weekends end. It has an outside shot for 390 million, but that would be 100 to 1 chances hitting 390 million or above.

Again, a fair estimate. Although I was excited to see this film on screen, financially it has far exceeded any estimate I had. So it will be interesting to see where 'end' truly is.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Again, a fair estimate. Although I was excited to see this film on screen, financially it has far exceeded any estimate I had. So it will be interesting to see where 'end' truly is.

Yes the film far exceeded my expectations of where it was going to finish at ending total, but I have also noticed something as well each week that goes by when I do go to the theaters to see films that I was not expecting. There is not a week that goes by that I don't see women taking girls of all ages to this film in Cosplay. You also have the lead comic character for feminism in her own film. That was really an untapped market that is keeping this films numbers from falling like the usual film. An example my Aunt went to go see her first comic film because of what Wonder Woman symbolizes. No ordinary female superhero would have been able to keep this momentum going.

Where the end is up in there. All I can say Wonder Woman at Day 48 is pulling in today a little bit more than what Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 did at day 41. Guardians has done about 17 more million since then domestically. If I just used that as a reference not including the slower fall down rates and just added that 17 more mil to WW. That would put her at 400.5 million. The issue here is that does not include her slower drop rate week by week. So the film should finish above the 400.5 mark.

The question is does Wonder Woman pass these films in domestic haul? I would be curious to see your mathematics to figure this one out. Keep in mind she may make it through Labor Day Weekend

Spider-Man (2001) at 403.7 million. Not out of the question she is pulling in more daily now than that film and to be honest not to far off what Spidey was at Day 48 which is 385 million

Captain America Civil War at 408 million at Day 48 she is smoking what Civil War was pulling in daily, but Civil War was at 408 million by then. Possibly can get here, but this is the upper level

Iron Man3 at 409 million again possible, but really stretching it to reach this film.

What is clear is that she if fighting Spidey for the rights of biggest SuperHero film debut of all time and Spidey's senses are tingling

Yeah - not bad considering Guardians 2 grossed 40% more its opening weekend. But WW was the better movie to me. In fact, best I've seen this year, edging out Get Out by a nose (WW's more re-watchable). That said, I expect Dunkirk will top both of them for me.

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I won't be surprised if Dunkirk becomes a massive hit. From all that has been shown, it looks to be incredibly produced.

My guess is Dunkirk will do 600 to 700 million altogether. The issue with Dunkirk for me while I want to see the film in the theater I am not going to. I'm going to buy the 4K UHD and watch it on the top of the line 4KUHD player. It's shot in 70mm and no theaters around here have a 70mm projector.

Just got back from WW with my wife and we really enjoyed it.  Its the best of the new DC movies so far - better than BvS and Suicide Squad.  I now have hope that the Justice Leauge will be worth the wait. 

Wonder Woman is now only $1.23MM away from matching Guardians of the Galaxy 2's domestic box office. Amazing for a first-time origin story compared to a sequel from a very successful franchise.

:applause:

FORBES.COM Box Office: Today's The Day 'Wonder Woman' Becomes The Summer's Biggest Hit

9uXfjjb.jpg

Well, this is it! Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s Wonder Woman made $1.255 million yesterday, bringing its total to $385.658M.

Barring a fluke, it will pass the domestic gross of Walt Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 sometime tonight. And when that happens, the Gal Gadot/Chris Pine superhero origin story will be the biggest domestic grosser of summer 2017 as well as the second-biggest North American hit of the year. Boom.

In an era of near-constant would-be event movies, it was the genuine article. As such, it held onto theaters week after week while registering comparatively minuscule drops. It held tight even against Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes. Ironically enough, it lost 773 theaters this weekend, its most by far in a single frame, partially due to Warner Bros.’ Dunkirk gobbling up real estate. But yeah, Wonder Woman is now summer’s biggest domestic grosser.

Without taking anything away from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (which was a true break-out sequel and still summer’s biggest worldwide grosser at $860 million+) or Despicable Me 3 (which will soon overtake Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales as the overseas champ of the season), this is a… hey… you had three different films ruling the respective summer charts. Wonder Woman won in North America, Despicable Me 3 will win overseas (unless Spider-Man: Homecoming, Dunkirk or… I suppose… Valerian does) and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 won the sum worldwide list.

Nice way to close out that article, and recognize all three movie successes!

GthROzK.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is Now The Biggest Movie Of The Summer

And now it can be written in stone.

Wonder Woman earned another $4.6M (-32%) in its eighth weekend of release to bring its domestic total to $389M. That's just above the $387m domestic total of the still-huge Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. But as of now, Patty Jenkins' Gal Gadot/Chris Pine comic book superhero movie, the first mega-budget comic book superhero movie with a female lead and a female director is now the biggest grosser of the summer in North America.

Oh, and with an eighth weekend bigger almost tied with Spider-Man ($4.55 million back in 2002), it's going to be neck-and-neck for the arbitrary "biggest origin story/non-sequel comic book superhero movie" crown. But, as of this juncture, it is now more likely than not that Wonder Woman will squeak over the $400M mark.

Wonder Woman is unquestionably the domestic champion, but the overseas title is somewhat up in the air. Right now, it belongs to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales ($596M overseas), but Spider-Man: Homecoming and Despicable Me 3 are going to make a run at that specific title. Right now Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 remains the global champ with $860M worldwide.