• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now $2.4MM over Guardians of the Galaxy 2's domestic box office.

YnoVJGT.jpg

I guess Paperheart is right. This is a movie with balls.

(:

Monday's return was shocking for me going down only 16.5 percent from the previous Monday was a pleasant surprise. You just can't predict the box office for this film.

2 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Monday's return was shocking for me going down only 16.5 percent from the previous Monday was a pleasant surprise. You just can't predict the box office for this film.

That's after dropping 773 theaters also. I'm certain it will pass 405 mill at this rate.

My guess is that theaters will have to adjust their calculations for dropping films.  They probably use a standard calculation based on the age of the film and the number of first week screens, but I saw the movie in week 7 with a packed room.  There's no financial reason to cycle off hundreds of screens if the room is still packed in week 8.  If it doesn't make sense for profits, then something will change... too late for Wonder Woman, but some future movie will benefit.

15 hours ago, valiantman said:

My guess is that theaters will have to adjust their calculations for dropping films.  They probably use a standard calculation based on the age of the film and the number of first week screens, but I saw the movie in week 7 with a packed room.  There's no financial reason to cycle off hundreds of screens if the room is still packed in week 8.  If it doesn't make sense for profits, then something will change... too late for Wonder Woman, but some future movie will benefit.

It's a really weird relationship theaters have with studios. Ok so you want to show this film that is fine, but in order to do that you have to show this film. It's a juggling act between the studios and what films will be in which theaters.

Sorry, Spider-Man And Guardians Of The Galaxy, But 'Wonder Woman' Is Chris Hemsworth's Favorite Movie Of The Year

Thor-Wonder-Woman.jpg?auto=format&cs=tin

During the press line at #SDCC2017, Thor himself, #ChrisHemsworth, spoke to MTV about the fellow Chrises (Pratt, Evans, Pine) and shared his love for Wonder Woman:

"I have such love and admiration for all Chrises on the planet and all superheroes including Wonder Woman. I think it's my favorite film this year. They did such a good job. And we're going to make more, but that's OK. It's not a competition, it's all love."

It is always refreshing to see fellow actors and actresses from competitive studios support one another, especially with the magnitude of rivals like DC and Marvel. Fans may have taken sides, but there seems to only be an outpouring of love from the casts in the superhero universe.

I wish I could say that I walked out of the theater thinking I had just saw a great movie, but unfortunately another bad DC end-battle turned this one into a very good movie for me.

I really loved the backstory, the character development and character interaction,  but couldn't get past that ending.

Glad that DC managed to finally pull one together, but man,  Ares was a big let-down for me.

FORBES.COM: 'Wonder Woman' Is The Second-Leggiest $100M+ Opener Ever

The main reason I continued to do Wonder Woman updates past last week is for today. The Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. release earned another $650,000 on Wednesday to bring its domestic total to $391.258 million in 55 days of release. So, it's now doing better weekday numbers than Spider-Man at the same point in its run and has eclipsed that film's running total ($391.135m in 55 days). But the other big news is that the Patty Jenkins-directed offering has now earned a weekend-to-final multiplier of 3.789x, meaning it is among the very leggiest movies ever to snag a $100m+ opening weekend.

All of this brings us back to Wonder Woman. The comic book superhero movie has now had a leggier run than every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie as well as the likes of Spider-Man and the 1990's Batman sequels. Among all comic book superhero movies, it's the leggiest "opened on a Friday" title since Blade back in 1998. Heck, among all such films from 1989 (Batman) onward, it's the 12th leggiest "opened on a Friday" superhero movie ever (that's including Big Hero 6 although it ended up leggier than The Incredibles).

In fact, of the 48 movies that have opened over $100 million (counting Iron Man and its Thursday previews), and this is the reason for today's update, it is the leggiest release ever save for Shrek 2. And Shrek 2 opened on a Wednesday, where it earned $21 million of its $129m Wed-Sun opening in May 2004 before legging it to $441m domestic (a figure that still blows my mind).

But yeah, of all the many movies that opened with over $100 million over the Fri-Sun frame, with the exception of one "opened on a Wednesday" fluke, none were as leggy as the  Gal Gadot/Chris Pine adventure that became the de facto movie of the summer by giving audiences what they really, really wanted.

It certainly has come a long ways. But now everything that comes out of the DCEU is going to have a high bar to cross.

:wishluck:

WB Planning Wonder Woman Oscar Campaign For Best Picture, Director

Warner Bros. is reportedly planning an Oscar campaign for Wonder Woman, targeting best picture and director nominations for Patty Jenkins’ film.

Variety is reporting Warner Bros. executives have discussed a “formidable” awards season campaign for Wonder Woman with the aim of it becoming the first comic book movie to earn the best picture nomination. The studio is also vying for Jenkins to land a nomination for the best director category. Warner Bros. has yet to officially comment on their Oscar campaign.

Certainly, comic book films have received plenty of nominations in the past, and even taken home their own golden statues some years, but largely for technical categories like visual effects and art direction. Warner Bros’ Suicide Squad took home the Academy Award earlier this year for Best Makeup and Hairstyling. But it’s rare that comic book movies are nominated, let alone win, in the bigger categories. Notable exceptions include Heath Ledger’s posthumous winning of Best Supporting Actor for his turn as the Joker in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight, and Disney’s Big Hero 6 winning Best Animated Feature.

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It certainly has come a long ways. But now everything that comes out of the DCEU is going to have a high bar to cross.

Yeah - but that's not a bad thing -- it shows what's possible with good writing.

And underscores how Batman vs. Superman was in comparison.

You put two of the most famous superheroes in the world in a movie for the first time -- and even better -- have them _fight_ each other -- which we fans have been waiting for since the aborted Andrew Kevin Walker / Wolfgang Peterson project 12 years ago, and it gets hosed (easily) in the U.S. by a decent Wonder Woman movie.

That's like a movie about Guardians of the Galaxy out-performing Spider-Man.  (oh...wait...)

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I completely disagree with this article. Gal Gadot has much nicer legs than Shrek/Mike Myers. :sumo:

Edited by kimik

Oscar campaign for Best Picture and Best Director?  Wow -- it's a fine movie, but come on.  Just because the DCU has, to me, its first good film doesn't mean we need to embrace hyperbole.  That said, a great first feature for Gadot and the team behind the film.  There's a lot of reasons people are going to this movie, all of them good.

Dan

On ‎2017‎/‎07‎/‎24 at 8:58 AM, Turtle said:

Eh...the incessant board room talk gets pretty tiring very quickly.  :blahblah:  It still gets me that there are so many more posts talking about the dollars behind these movies as opposed to the content of these movies...and I'm an engineer by trade.  In most cases, I LOVE cold logic and numbers.  But it gets to be too much here sometimes. 

I've got to say, when they showed the first teaser image of Gal Gadot at SDCC a few years back to pump up her appearance in the upcoming BvS movie, I wasn't impressed.  The outfit was fine, but at the time, she didn't match the image of Wonder Woman I had in my head. 

Fast forward to me watching BvS...everyone was hyping up Gadot's Wonder Woman appearance.  I saw the movie and thought to myself "Ok, she's fine.  That was entertaining and she did a fine job.  Not great, but fine."

Fast forward once again to last weekend when I watched the Wonder Woman movie.  I found the whole thing very enjoyable.  The best part?  Gal Gadot!  She is SUPER charming in the movie...I couldn't help but like her.  She totally won me over; far more than any other character in the DC cinematic universe.  Her involvement has me excited to see Justice League (despite my low expectations for that movie). 

Gal won me over in BvS when she first appeared with her armbands stopping the blast beam ( ugh) from the creature they called Doomsday. Then the warrior theme music plays and she draws her sword and lept into battle. It was fantastic. And everytime she was on screen from that moment forward it just "lights up" for me.

2 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

Sounds like a wasted effort to me but I guess you never know.

Does this guy seriously write a Wonder Woman article every day ?

Or not, as look at all the celebrities that went nuts over this film. So since many of them are the Academy members voting, WB probably figures "What the heck?!"

3 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

Does this guy seriously write a Wonder Woman article every day ?

Yes!

FORBES.COM: Why 'Wonder Woman' Deserves To Be In The Oscar Race

MV5BZjMzNDQzMzItZDM5NC00MTMxLWFhZWYtODBh

Every time I’m out, they pull me back in. I swore this week would be the end of the Wonder Woman daily updates, and that might still be the case. For the record, the film made an additional $646,000 yesterday to bring its domestic total to $391.9 million as it heads into its ninth weekend of release. It will only be playing on 1,651 screens so we'll see if it can continue to outpace Sam Raimi's Spider-Man over the weekend.

Why, do you ask, would I champion a Wonder Woman Oscar run more than, for example, Deadpool? The answer: aspiration.

I would argue that the films that end up making the final cut are one of two types of pictures. Either they are designated awards-bait movies that are celebrated enough to live up to their preordained inclusion (The Imitation Game), or they are populist movies that are so damn good and so representative of what Hollywood would like to pretend they make on a regular basis (Mad Max: Fury Road) that they sneak in.

Whether Wonder Woman is worth a seat at the Oscar table, assuming you think it’s at least “very good,” is arguably a question of whether it is aspirational beyond its franchise intentions and corporate-minded origins. Yes, in 2017, I would argue that a big-budget, female-led and female-directed comic book superhero movie, one that received near universal acclaim and was so beloved by paying consumers that it's one of the leggiest big movies in recent years, is indeed a “Look what we can do!” triumph.

In the sense of proving that women can direct a big-budget action movie as well as men, and that a female-led superhero movie can do at least as well as a male-driven one, and by being the kind of leggy, crowd-pleasing and zeitgeist-capturing hit that helped make mainstream movies matter again, I would argue that yeah, Wonder Woman is an optimistic victory for the studio and for the industry.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Gal won me over in BvS when she first appeared with her armbands stopping the blast beam ( ugh) from the creature they called Doomsday. Then the warrior theme music plays and she draws her sword and lept into battle. It was fantastic. And everytime she was on screen from that moment forward it just "lights up" for me.

I don't really dig her theme music.  I didn't know it was specific for her until I saw her solo movie and heard it again, but I first heard it during the Doomsday battle in BvS.  It sounds a little too punk rock to me.  I think that feel would be more befitting of Batman or Cyborg.  For Wonder Woman, a more regal, graceful fanfare would be more appropriate (I think). 

But the way she moved in that Doomsday battle...it made me believe that she'd give Superman a run for his money.  I was impressed.  I like that she has an abundance of natural speed and strength, but still moves like a warrior in battle.  People like Superman or Wolverine sometimes make some silly moves and take some unnecessary hits because they know they'll shrug it off.  With Wonder Woman, you really get the sense that she was raised as a warrior.