• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

I can't believe that POS, err PotC 5, did that well overseas. I guess low quality films don't matter as long as the aging lead actor/actress is popular? lol

Not every country is use to the effects they see in these films. Once they get used to the effects their box office will slow down. Also once the streaming speed in other countries catches up to where we are at now that will also effect their numbers. That is why films like Pirates and Fate of the Furious do ell overseas because of effects they are not used to and slow streaming speeds.

At low weekly drops in the 30% range we can expect 392 mill by the 27th, then:

5.25 week 9

3.675 week 10

2.5725 week 11

1.8 week 12

1.26 week 13

.882 week 14

.617 week 15

.432 week 16

.302 week 17

.211 week 18

.148 week 19

.103 week 20

Unless WW makes significant drops & only lasts 16 weeks, I can't see it making less than 405 mill but it could actually make it as high as 409 domestically at this rate.

50 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

At low weekly drops in the 30% range we can expect 392 mill by the 27th, then:

5.25 week 9

3.675 week 10

2.5725 week 11

1.8 week 12

1.26 week 13

.882 week 14

.617 week 15

.432 week 16

.302 week 17

.211 week 18

.148 week 19

.103 week 20

Unless WW makes significant drops & only lasts 16 weeks, I can't see it making less than 405 mill but it could actually make it as high as 409 domestically at this rate.

It's dropping on average of .35 to .38 per week. So 402 to 403 is more accurate. This film is not hitting 405 million. By next Thursday this film will be around 391.5 million

Edited by reddwarf666222

20 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

It's dropping on average of .35 to .38 per week. So 402 to 403 is more accurate. This film is not hitting 405 million. By next Thursday this film will be around 391.5 million

Even with that...WOW! For an overly populated superhero cinema market, what an accomplishment.

9 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

It's dropping on average of .35 to .38 per week. So 402 to 403 is more accurate. This film is not hitting 405 million 

It only dropped 40%+ on it's 2nd week & the week Spidey came out. Even with Apes, Dunkirk & Valerian, it only dropped 30% last week & 31.9% this weekend. Other than The Dark Tower, I don't see anything giving it a significant drop in it's remaining run.

At 35% drops we can still expect 405+ mill by week 16:

392 mill week 1 - 8

4.875 week 9

3.168 week 10

2.059 week 11

1.338 week 12

.87 week 13

.565 week 14

.367 week 15

.238 week 16

Only time will tell.

I finally saw the movie again this afternoon for this first time since the opening night.  The theater was full - it was probably the smallest one in the multiplex (around 100 seats I would guess, but it was still full.  I couldn't believe it.  As for the movie itself, I actually appreciated it more on the second watching than the first.

As for all the estimates as to where it ends up, I still maintain it will get just past $400 million -the numbers thrown out there approaching $410 million just seem a little optimistic.  $401-$405 million seems to be the sweet spot.

14 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

Only time will tell.

That's probably the best path to take right now. There is such a unique trending associated with this movie - or at least such it is extremely uncommon. I wouldn't be surprised if people start having Wonder Woman parties just to go back as a group and help it over the edge.

4 hours ago, kimik said:

I was wondering if there would be a viral fangirl and fanboy movement to push this one over the $400M domestic mark. If I were in marketing at WB I would get something going online to initiate it.

It will pass $400M without a viral push, but it is the right time to get one going just for the fun of it. 

18 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Man, you guys are wicked smart with all the math you do on these funny book movies. (worship) 

Eh...the incessant board room talk gets pretty tiring very quickly.  :blahblah:  It still gets me that there are so many more posts talking about the dollars behind these movies as opposed to the content of these movies...and I'm an engineer by trade.  In most cases, I LOVE cold logic and numbers.  But it gets to be too much here sometimes. 

I've got to say, when they showed the first teaser image of Gal Gadot at SDCC a few years back to pump up her appearance in the upcoming BvS movie, I wasn't impressed.  The outfit was fine, but at the time, she didn't match the image of Wonder Woman I had in my head. 

Fast forward to me watching BvS...everyone was hyping up Gadot's Wonder Woman appearance.  I saw the movie and thought to myself "Ok, she's fine.  That was entertaining and she did a fine job.  Not great, but fine."

Fast forward once again to last weekend when I watched the Wonder Woman movie.  I found the whole thing very enjoyable.  The best part?  Gal Gadot!  She is SUPER charming in the movie...I couldn't help but like her.  She totally won me over; far more than any other character in the DC cinematic universe.  Her involvement has me excited to see Justice League (despite my low expectations for that movie). 

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

... last weekend when I watched the Wonder Woman movie.  I found the whole thing very enjoyable.  The best part?  Gal Gadot!  She is SUPER charming in the movie...I couldn't help but like her.  She totally won me over; far more than any other character in the DC cinematic universe.  Her involvement has me excited to see Justice League (despite my low expectations for that movie). 

What would you say was the reason you waited until the 7th/8th weekend, or alternatively, why did you decide to go if you had planned to wait for home viewing?

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Fast forward once again to last weekend when I watched the Wonder Woman movie.  I found the whole thing very enjoyable.  The best part?  Gal Gadot!  She is SUPER charming in the movie...I couldn't help but like her.  She totally won me over; far more than any other character in the DC cinematic universe.  Her involvement has me excited to see Justice League (despite my low expectations for that movie). 

You should go check out the Facebook video that came out of SDCC the other day between her and a young fan.

rQMqGGL.png

The young girl was so intimidated meeting Gal Gadot face-to-face, she started crying. Gadot stopped signing posters to calm her down, and let her know she was not alone. Which was cool to see Ezra Miller joining in, telling the fan she was the real hero and to come join them when she gets older.

Edited by Bosco685

x07SA3X.png

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Is The Summer's Biggest Domestic Hit, But It's Not Done Yet

Wonder Woman became the biggest domestic grosser of the summer on Saturday, which is the first time a film from a female director has done so... ever. It is the second-biggest domestic earner of the year, behind Walt Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and it will presumably end the year a few slots down behind Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Beauty and the Beast and (possibly) Justice League and/or Thor: Ragnarok.

By today, it will be over the $390M domestic and $780M worldwide mark, putting it in striking distance of Deadpool ($783M, with an R-rating, sans 3D and without China) and Spider-Man 2 ($784M in 2004). Yes, the film is making a lot more of its money in North America (49%) than is standard these days, but again I would argue that it merely over-performed in North America. We're still talking about a $390M overseas total, with Japan still on tap for August 25.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

What would you say was the reason you waited until the 7th/8th weekend, or alternatively, why did you decide to go if you had planned to wait for home viewing?

I've got young kids at home.  I love going to the movies...especially to support movies that I believe will be solid and I'd like to see more of.  However, I can't get out to see them unless things line up well and the kids have other activities going on with my wife.  I'd say I get to the theater 5 times a year. 

I got a chance not too long ago and decided to see Spider-man, which was a movie I was looking forward to ever since seeing Civil War.  I had heard really good things about Wonder Woman, so when another opportunity presented itself, I decided to head to the theater and buy my ticket instead of waiting for red box.  I'm glad I did.  I was very happy to support this movie.  (thumbsu  Finally DC got one right in their cinematic universe.

19 hours ago, Turtle said:

I've got young kids at home.  I love going to the movies...especially to support movies that I believe will be solid and I'd like to see more of.  However, I can't get out to see them unless things line up well and the kids have other activities going on with my wife.  I'd say I get to the theater 5 times a year. 

I got a chance not too long ago and decided to see Spider-man, which was a movie I was looking forward to ever since seeing Civil War.  I had heard really good things about Wonder Woman, so when another opportunity presented itself, I decided to head to the theater and buy my ticket instead of waiting for red box.  I'm glad I did.  I was very happy to support this movie.  (thumbsu  Finally DC got one right in their cinematic universe.

I was able to see the movie in the first week, but my wife wasn't able to see it until last week... same story.  Young daughter at home, had to wait until we were on vacation and daughter was with grandma. (thumbsu