• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valuation

157 posts in this topic

Speaking from the anti-pence crowd, it just doesn't look right to have a pence copy in the middle of some cents copies. It's as simple as that. Rarity doesn't matter, it just doesn't fit. I'd actually rather have a Golden Record Reprint than a pence copy, even though it's worth far less.

Let's see....on the census it shows:

There are 209 copies of FF 1 in 5.5 and above.

There are 314 copies of the FF 1 Golden record reprint in 5.5 and above.

There is 1, just 1 copy of the UK FF 1 above 5.0. Do you see why, especially the high grade copies of these UK copies, might realize a price that is very close to the US copies.

High grade UK copies are the rarest of the rare and I think it's a niche that more people are going to be looking at.

I'm kicking myself for selling my 7.5 UK TOS 39. I got 80% of the US version, but I now have regrets.

Rare does not equal value.

Census does not equal accurate depiction available copies in market for any book. Especially books that largely reside outside of the U.S..

While I can appreciate and respect the fact you highly value Pence copies, my experience would say you got a very good price for your book and would likely have to find a 1-in-a-million collector/situation to do a whole lot better.

Speaking from the anti-pence crowd, it just doesn't look right to have a pence copy in the middle of some cents copies. It's as simple as that. Rarity doesn't matter, it just doesn't fit. I'd actually rather have a Golden Record Reprint than a pence copy, even though it's worth far less.

Let's see....on the census it shows:

There are 209 copies of FF 1 in 5.5 and above.

There are 314 copies of the FF 1 Golden record reprint in 5.5 and above.

There is 1, just 1 copy of the UK FF 1 above 5.0. Do you see why, especially the high grade copies of these UK copies, might realize a price that is very close to the US copies.

High grade UK copies are the rarest of the rare and I think it's a niche that more people are going to be looking at.

I'm kicking myself for selling my 7.5 UK TOS 39. I got 80% of the US version, but I now have regrets.

So it's rare. I still don't want one. (shrug)

I think those people who don't like, don't want, and can't see the allure of pence copies need to consider that their own personal thoughts do not automatically render them worthless.

I sell pence copies between 70-80% of their US counterparts.

Notice the use of the word 'sell' rather than 'price' or 'ask'.

I think those people who don't like, don't want, and can't see the allure of pence copies need to consider that their own personal thoughts do not automatically render them worthless.

lol

I would hope someone from the UK would have better understanding of the "Pence" market.

FYI - 70-80% on mid-high grade keys I can see with the right buyer. My biggest point was that buyer is from a much smaller pool than the person looking for a cents copy..

lol

I would hope someone from the UK would have better understanding of the "Pence" market.

:facepalm:

lol

(shrug)

Wasn't meant to be offensive, just a joke and an observation.

But sure, stir the pot. That always makes things better here.

As a point of reference, a blue-label 2.5 AF 15 pence copy just sold on heritage for 4780. The last blue-label AF 15 12-center went on heritage for 7409.

Me, I see the pence as an asterisk. I wouldn't pay full price for an AF 15 with an asterisk on it. Why would I? If there are two copies for sale at the same price, and I want to buy just one, and they are identical in every way except one has an asterisk and one does not, why would I buy the one with the asterisk?

The pence market is a niche sub-market, plain and simple, and that is why they sell for between 60-70% of cents copies on average, and that is for the keys. 60% on an average day. And 70% on a great day to a collector who specifically wants one, or who is willing to sacrifice a lower grade cents copy to obtain a higher grade pence version at a discount.

My 2 pence. ;)

-J.

lol

(shrug)

:baiting:

e92gx.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

lol

(shrug)

:roflmao:

In my opinion, the US first prints are the originals, which makes them more valuable.

Pence copies are not second prints or later prints. They are from the same print run as the US versions.

lol

(shrug)

:shrug:

Really isn't all that funny. Being a dealer from the UK and someone assuming they posses knowledge of a Pence market isn't exactly the same thing as a racial slur or a politically incorrect statement.

Finding it ironic that someone who deals and lives in the UK is both defending and elaborating on the Pence market isn't an offensive act.

Regardless I will just go back to what 90% of people do here: look for any reason to try and spur an argument, fuel the fire, make a couple of memes and laugh to myself alone in front of my computer.

lol

(shrug)

:shrug:

Really isn't all that funny. Being a dealer from the UK and someone assuming they posses knowledge of a Pence market isn't exactly the same thing as a racial slur or a politically incorrect statement.

Finding it ironic that someone who deals and lives in the UK is both defending and elaborating on the Pence market isn't an offensive act.

Regardless I will just go back to what 90% of people do here: look for any reason to try and spur an argument, fuel the fire, make a couple of memes and laugh to myself alone in front of my computer.

It's natural for someone to protect their business interests or feel defensive about what they have collected if they feel it is being marginalized.

The reality in the market is a lot closer to what you've said however. Just a cursory look at GPA and recent Comic Link auction results establishes as much.

-J.

Cents copies had an allure for me growing up as a UK collector and were worth a lot more to me than pence copies. I suspect like many UK collectors I couldn't wait to swap out all my pence copies for cents, as cents copies look "right".

Like everything after I've sold it, pence copies have had a big increase in value over the years but that's nearly all from U.S. buyers who have romanticised them in the same way we did for cents copies.

This is good proof right here about the value of Pence copies. And this is being sold in UK I presume Nick?

So 80% of the USA counterpart.

And yes, finding high grade example of pence copies if quite hard. I don't think I've seen any at all to be honest.

This is good proof right here about the value of Pence copies. And this is being sold in UK I presume Nick?

So 80% of the USA counterpart.

And yes, finding high grade example of pence copies if quite hard. I don't think I've seen any at all to be honest.

All GPA and auction data not reported to GPA belies this lofty contention. 70% is about the maximum, and that has only been "one" recent result. All others are in the 60% range, with a few also recent ones even in the 50% range.

It is what it is.

-J.