• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

It certainly wouldn't - just wanted the blue skirt :)

lol

We know what's on your mind.

:baiting:

he owns a company that specializes in selling blue skirts?

lol - Ok, I earned that. Was infinitely creepier than I anticipated. Let's try again:

I was a Superman/Batman fan when Turner showed up to do volume 2. Ever since, his version of Supergirl has been my all time favorite. I think it would have been neat to have Kara's costume more closely reflect that version of the character - though I must agree the crop top wouldn't fare well.

jHSLzKEZ_2307152005171.jpg

Edited by Thawk

I think the lead girl is a perfect fit - but the biggest potential problem with this show is that in todays society, violence against women is (quite rightly) absolutely taboo.

Take the shot earlier in the thread of Supergirl being held by the throat - can you see anymore violence in this show than that?

She isn't going to be kicked senseless in Ep#1.....

I appreciate that this is a good thing!

However, and here is my concern, the lack of violence/grittiness/edge really limits the market audience. Anyone in their teens may just find this too wishy-washy, whilst young children may find the multi-villain plots confusing (I read 9 already in season one in this thread - yes?)

I guess this show needs to decide from day 1 wether its a mum/dad/lil kids and apple pie show, or something harder.

A mix of both would be a disaster. DC needs a win here, for it's entire Universe.

Fingers crossed for a clear target audience from Ep #1.

There are a lot of men on this forum, but off the forum, there are many females. It's something we might occasionally lose sight of here.

It's great to see a positive role model for young women/girls. The show doesn't have to be edgy, fun is fine and there will be tons of fans. That was the target audience of Supergirl when she started, she was aimed at enticing young girls./women into the comic fold. She was not sexy, edgy, nor was she sophisticated. I admit that times have changed, but maybe not always for the best. It's nice to see children being allowed to be "children" for a change.

Looks like a great family show and even though my daughter is older than the target age group, as a mother, I'm very happy to see a program like this.

I enjoy Arrow and Gotham (now that Fish is gone I hope) too, but there is nothing wrong with fun.

I was a Superman/Batman fan when Turner showed up to do volume 2. Ever since, his version of Supergirl has been my all time favorite. I think it would have been neat to have Kara's costume more closely reflect that version of the character - though I must agree the crop top wouldn't fare well.

Mine too (thumbs u

That's a great piece of artwork you have there. The Turner/Steigerwald original is my all time favourite Supergirl cover*. Truly iconic.

*(Even though it's Superman/Batman #13).

Edited by Batman

That's a great piece of artwork you have there. The Turner/Steigerwald original is my all time favourite Supergirl cover. Truly iconic.

Thanks - Mr Steigerwald did that for me at SDCC this year over a copy of Mr Turner's original pencils. It is now one of my absolute favorites

Edited by Thawk

lucy-lane.jpg

First Look At 'Lucy' In SUPERGIRL

American Horror Story star Jenna Dewan-Tatum will play Lucy Lane in Supergirl, and in a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, executive producer Ali Adler shed some light on what we should expect from this version of the character. "We hope to explore the history that Lucy has with James Olsen—or, as Lucy knows him, Jimmy Olsen," she reveals. "I think we’re going to bring in her father. She not plays a romantic foil with whatever Kara and James are brewing, but people will also be surprised that she’s really a woman’s woman. She and Kara develop their own friendship, too. We’re not just bringing her in to purposefully create tension. She serves a larger story drive."

I think the lead girl is a perfect fit - but the biggest potential problem with this show is that in todays society, violence against women is (quite rightly) absolutely taboo.

Take the shot earlier in the thread of Supergirl being held by the throat - can you see anymore violence in this show than that?She isn't going to be kicked senseless in Ep#1.....

Not a viewer of CBS's Criminal Minds (entering it's 11th season) I see. CBS has also sampled kidnapping, torture and human trafficking in other shows last season from Blue Bloods to NCIS to Scorpion to Elementary to Hawaii 5-0 from it's recurring female characters to guest stars. If anything, I wouldn't want to be a female character actor on this network.

There are a lot of men on this forum, but off the forum, there are many females. It's something we might occasionally lose sight of here.

I really hope your including me in this, because I've supported her potential positive symbol of "gurl-power" since day one.

I really hope your including me in this, because I've supported her potential positive symbol of "gurl-power" since day one.

Yeah, but you're a green lady. You're already accounted for.

It certainly wouldn't - just wanted the blue skirt :)

JLUbQwF.jpg:foryou:

TOvW1WU.jpg Avatar size!

Never liked the thin belt. I actually thought the thick belt in Ale Gazra's Supergirl #11 was perfect. Made her look a little more realistic and not so comic-booky with the crop top.

But seriously, let's talk headbands (earlier in the thread).

OMG, I have to stop and go watch The Edge for an hour. I'll be back. lol

Yeah, but you're a green lady. You're already accounted for.

I keep forgetting to change that back to my original Fairpoint Bundle avatar.

Take the shot earlier in the thread of Supergirl being held by the throat - can you see anymore violence in this show than that?

She isn't going to be kicked senseless in Ep#1.....

However, and here is my concern, the lack of violence/grittiness/edge really limits the market audience. Anyone in their teens may just find this too wishy-washy, whilst young children may find the multi-villain plots confusing (I read 9 already in season one in this thread - yes?)

I guess this show needs to decide from day 1 wether its a mum/dad/lil kids and apple pie show, or something harder.

A mix of both would be a disaster. DC needs a win here, for it's entire Universe.

Fingers crossed for a clear target audience from Ep #1.

It's great to see a positive role model for young women/girls. The show doesn't have to be edgy, fun is fine and there will be tons of fans. That was the target audience of Supergirl when she started, she was aimed at enticing young girls./women into the comic fold. She was not sexy, edgy, nor was she sophisticated. I admit that times have changed, but maybe not always for the best. It's nice to see children being allowed to be "children" for a change.

Looks like a great family show and even though my daughter is older than the target age group, as a mother, I'm very happy to see a program like this.

I enjoy Arrow and Gotham (now that Fish is gone I hope) too, but there is nothing wrong with fun.

Nothing wrong with Fun at all Sharon - my point, and obviously not well made, was as of this moment, I'm not sure what sort of show it is.

If its for families - great

If its for an older audience, great as well.

I'm seeing a potential mix of both, with would dilute the audience, as it's a kinda 'twixt and between show' atm.

A clearer message from the studio would go a long way.

So I finally went ahead and watched the preview last night and my question is...where is Superman? It seems like every time Olsen was talking to Supergirl about her cousin, he was using the past tense "Your cousin wanted..." and now the cape that Kara is wearing is Kal-El's old cape?

At this point in time, Superman is much further along than Supergirl in being established on Earth, and Jimmy Olsen has known Superman for a period of time where he even posed for Jimmy to take that photo shown early on in the pilot.

Jimmy was asked to watch over Kara while there, and also asked to pass along the gift of his Kryptonian blanket that was left in his pod as a child.

So I finally went ahead and watched the preview last night and my question is...where is Superman? It seems like every time Olsen was talking to Supergirl about her cousin, he was using the past tense "Your cousin wanted..." and now the cape that Kara is wearing is Kal-El's old cape?

At this point in time, Superman is much further along than Supergirl in being established on Earth, and Jimmy Olsen has known Superman for a period of time where he even posed for Jimmy to take that photo shown early on in the pilot.

Jimmy was asked to watch over Kara while there, and also asked to pass along the gift of his Kryptonian blanket that was left in his pod as a child.

And...

This takes place in the 5 years before "Superman Returns" ... hence his absence.

Or possibly not ;)