• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

I got my Hughes variant the other day in the mail and it arrived perfectly but I am still not for sure if I like it. Its a nice pic of Gwen for sure, but not really related to the character. What do you guys think about it that have it? I think I like the Anka variant more.

I believe I read that the Adam Hughes artwork actually already existed. It was a commission piece or something, I don't recall. It just got used again for the cover--so it's possible it was done even before there WAS a character called "Spider-Gwen." Anyone know for sure?

Correct jtlarsen. This was a reused sketch of Gwen Stacy, however Adam Hughes did add the new Spider-Gwen image peaking from the side.

Right. Of course. Der. Thank you! Now...anyone know where the Gwen sketch drawing first appeared?

NOWHERE IN PRINT.

It was a commissioned piece from a private collection.

...that first appeared in print in the 2013 Adam Hughes sketchbook called "Little Help?"

The Gwen part did, I should specify. As noted above, the Spider-Gwen peeking around the corner was added on. But I just went through my Hughes sketchbooks and the Gwen part was printed in the 2013 sketchbook, titled, I believe, "Little Help?"

I got my Hughes variant the other day in the mail and it arrived perfectly but I am still not for sure if I like it. Its a nice pic of Gwen for sure, but not really related to the character. What do you guys think about it that have it? I think I like the Anka variant more.

I believe I read that the Adam Hughes artwork actually already existed. It was a commission piece or something, I don't recall. It just got used again for the cover--so it's possible it was done even before there WAS a character called "Spider-Gwen." Anyone know for sure?

Correct jtlarsen. This was a reused sketch of Gwen Stacy, however Adam Hughes did add the new Spider-Gwen image peaking from the side.

Right. Of course. Der. Thank you! Now...anyone know where the Gwen sketch drawing first appeared?

NOWHERE IN PRINT.

...that first appeared in print in the 2013 Adam Hughes sketchbook called "Little Help?"

NEVER in it's current form ( And you DO know that artist sketchbooks containing licensed characters are unauthorized material :)

NOWHERE IN PRINT.

NEVER in it's current form ( And you DO know that artist sketchbooks containing licensed characters are unauthorized material :)

Although I clarified above that the peeking Spider-Gwen was new, technically, the question was "where the GWEN [emphasis added] sketch drawing first appeared"? The drawing first appeared in Hughes's 2013 sketchbook. Which might not have Marvel's official imprimatur, but the Big Two have clearly if not explicitly allowed artists--at least the biggies--to include signature characters in their sketchbooks. I'm not sure why or whether it matters that it's authorized or not, but Marvel clearly knows about it and clearly has the wherewithal to do something about it and chooses not to. Why it's relevant either way still eludes me, but there it is.

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but I just noticed issues of Hawkeye vs Deadpool #0 being sold on ebay as the 1st cameo appearance of Spider-Gwen.

Thoughts?

E61F4EF2-D67C-4B48-82B8-B03D5C3FE9CB.png

379510C7-83C8-43E5-ADA6-4AA78110FA99.png

Those are a bunch of cosplayers in those images.

You're better off picking up AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9 (1st part of SPIDER-VERSE) as that's Spider-Gwen's 2nd Appearance. Many have ignored this book. I'm currently selling this coupled with her 1st Appearance (1st Print/NM), with various SPIDER-GIRL #1 variants (including Hughes) on Ebay - 11 Books total.

Problem is, how could these be "cosplayers" if the characters did not yet exist?

And how about how Gwennie looks dead-on at the reader in the final panel? It will only take one submitter of this book to CGC with a request to update the label with "First Appearance Spider-Gwen, Cameo" or whatever, and Whammo! hm

-J.

I can really imagine Marvel writing a story that resolves this comic. SheThor is hunting some magical dimensional/time jumping creature that runs into Spider-Gwen. Gwen teams up with SheThor and chase the creature to a place where it can hide unnoticed...a comic con. They do battle, capture the baddie and return home, and this issue becomes canon.

Received my Phantoms from Graham Cracker Comics today and was very disappointed :(

Payed for Priority Shipping, but the books were just wrapped in packing paper and thrown into the box. No rigid support at all, so both mine have nasty creases and don't lie flat.

Graham crackers, and I've been buying from them in person for years but in person, is kind of spotty on condition/pricing/handling. I love Jim at the downers grove location, but mail order are tough depending on shipping method and packaging. I just got my two sets of midtown variants, and they had the best packaging I've ever received from them, but one of the color variants had serious color rub along the spine. The other color and two b&w were in great shape though.

Side note: I've been annoyed by the exclusives having a color and b&w variation, and usually prefer the color version.

Graham crackers, and I've been buying from them in person for years but in person, is kind of spotty on condition/pricing/handling. I love Jim at the downers grove location, but mail order are tough depending on shipping method and packaging. I just got my two sets of midtown variants, and they had the best packaging I've ever received from them, but one of the color variants had serious color rub along the spine. The other color and two b&w were in great shape though.

Side note: I've been annoyed by the exclusives having a color and b&w variation, and usually prefer the color version.

I like Graham Crackers as well. This would only be the first or second time I've had any trouble with their packaging, and I've ordered quite a bit through them. Win some lose some I suppose.

I had the same problem (cover rub) with an order I placed with Midtown. I sent them a picture and they told me to keep it and sent me another copy free of charge.

I like Graham Crackers as well. This would only be the first or second time I've had any trouble with their packaging, and I've ordered quite a bit through them. Win some lose some I suppose.

Agreed and that was my point that they are hit or miss, even though it might not have come across like that. It is usually hard for me to get high grade variants from them, never ordered via mail as I have a pull list with them and live close to several locations and usually just have them pull books for me and that is my gripe that even though I've been a loyal customer for years that they still can't get books pulled for me. I asked them to get me a Hughes variant for spider Gwen and they did not pull it, I went day of and saw they had one available and bought it.

They are not my favorite seller, but the best I've dealt with around Chicago. I've thought about canceling my entire pull list with them and going exclusively through DCBS, but I like to support local shops and like the people that work at the downers location.

Long story short, they are not the best, they are sometimes overpriced but there are great people that work there. If you live in Chicago, go see Jim in downers grove just to see a great guy that genuinely cares, that's something you can't find via buying online.

Edited by kapzilla

I had the same problem (cover rub) with an order I placed with Midtown. I sent them a picture and they told me to keep it and sent me another copy free of charge.

Good to hear, I didn't try that yet, was just going to use it as my reader and give it out as a free surprise on the next book I sell

If you're looking for consistent 9.6 or better, it's best to buy in person & pre screen.

The bulk of product sold to retailers via Diamond is 9.4.

Bashing retailers for shipping you 9.4's is just ignorant. ( unless they imply it's a higher grade )

Ignorant.

Edited by LarrysComics

If you're looking for consistent 9.6 or better, it's best to buy in person & personally pre screen.

The bulk of product sold to retailers via Diamond is 9.4.

Bashing retailers for shipping you 9.4's is just ignorant.

Ignorant.

Completely agreed, preorders and shipped/second hand books are always going to be a gamble as opposed to buying books in person. Many dont have an option to buy the books in person and "prescreen" them though. No con's around/not enough momey to attend cons, etc.

I believe I put it a good word for local retailers, whom I respect to a great deal, but that they have their own issues along with online sellers.

Edited by kapzilla

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but I just noticed issues of Hawkeye vs Deadpool #0 being sold on ebay as the 1st cameo appearance of Spider-Gwen.

Thoughts?

E61F4EF2-D67C-4B48-82B8-B03D5C3FE9CB.png

379510C7-83C8-43E5-ADA6-4AA78110FA99.png

Those are a bunch of cosplayers in those images.

You're better off picking up AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9 (1st part of SPIDER-VERSE) as that's Spider-Gwen's 2nd Appearance. Many have ignored this book. I'm currently selling this coupled with her 1st Appearance (1st Print/NM), with various SPIDER-GIRL #1 variants (including Hughes) on Ebay - 11 Books total.

Problem is, how could these be "cosplayers" if the characters did not yet exist?

And how about how Gwennie looks dead-on at the reader in the final panel? It will only take one submitter of this book to CGC with a request to update the label with "First Appearance Spider-Gwen, Cameo" or whatever, and Whammo! hm

-J.

I can really imagine Marvel writing a story that resolves this comic. SheThor is hunting some magical dimensional/time jumping creature that runs into Spider-Gwen. Gwen teams up with SheThor and chase the creature to a place where it can hide unnoticed...a comic con. They do battle, capture the baddie and return home, and this issue becomes canon.

:takeit:lol

-J.

We'll I was trying to get a copy for whatever the shop was selling 'em for...

Guess not now...

Went from $76 to $130 in under 30 seconds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111611187861?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

Yeah, I was hoping to get one too. Was told that they were limiting them to 1 per person.

We'll I was trying to get a copy for whatever the shop was selling 'em for...

Guess not now...

Went from $76 to $130 in under 30 seconds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111611187861?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

Yeah, I was hoping to get one too. Was told that they were limiting them to 1 per person.

Was also told (by their FB page) that whatever was left would be sold on their website.

It didn't make it that long. :(