• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next CLINK auction is starting to stack up some interesting pieces

556 posts in this topic

I won the Batlash cover....but it was for a friend of mine....:)

the ASM 69 page price shocked the heck out of me...

I never placed a bid on it.....

Incidentally....... I paid 4k for the entire 20 page story to ASM 69 in 1997. and I sold this comic link 69 page for around 15k a few years back, as I never dreamed it would ever reach 20k in a decades time, much less almost 30k in a few years time.

The ASM 69 page 1 splash to this story sold for an incredible price recently at a heritage auction this past summer.

i'm pretty happy that John Romita is getting his due in the hobby for his talent nowadays, as I used to get laughed at by my good buddy Albert Moy for collecting John Romita art in the early 90's...(he thought i was nuts ) :)

Mike

...as I used to get laughed at by my good buddy Albert Moy for collecting John Romita art in the early 90's...(he thought i was nuts ) :)

Mike

Being a contrarian...zig when everyone else is zagging...

Doesn't pay every time, but when it does tends to pay big.

Bonus: you liked the art and got close to the man Mike!

I thought the complete Brendan McCarthy Spider-Man Fever books went for a decent price. I had heard vague tales of them being sold immediately after being published but I cannot imagine the seller did well here. I like Dr Strange so book 1 was the one I was least interested in, and that sold for the most. I pushed the other 2 books up to $2k 2 weeks ago as holding bids but they were just shy of getting it done!

Very healthy result for Zecks Deathstroke Cover.

Link to Deathstroke? I wasn't following it.

The Enemy cover was a lucky sell, basically the same price Banick was trying to get for two or three years on CAF. I think it only sold because the clock was ticking down.

Setting aside what they sold for a couple of years ago...which goes for more this time, ASM #238 or ASM #317?

And we now have the answer. Is anyone surprised by this, given what #317 cost a couple of years ago?

I had a feeling it'd be close...McSpidey market has cooled, while there was likely upside for the #238 (certainly relative to the price paid two years ago). But I didn't know there was a guarantee for the #238, so that may have skewed the results here.

Hi, Felix:

I recall our discussion about this very thing...which of the two covers would go for more, and you called it right, I'll grant you that. However, and this is a big 'however', I strongly believe Josh's guarantee skewed the final price on the ASM 238 cover. Not sure if we'll ever know by how much, but I'd say it would be a decent chunk of change.

Likewise, I admit that I was overly optimistic in my valuation of the McASM 317 cover. I was factoring in a discount from the peak 2012 prices, and had it pegged at $100K.

Most of all, I'm happy for the fellas at Clink. I think they had a lot of choice material at this auction and it seems like their offerings continue to improve with each of their Featured Auctions.

Onwards and upwards! (thumbs u

In addition to responses on this thread as well as private emails, and based on last nights results, the general consensus seems to be that the OA market is strong. Someone also made an observation that I was not as familiar with, which is that the mid-level, sub-10K market appears to be very strong. I've noticed that this bore out last night as well. Perhaps that indicates that new collectors are coming in (most likely from comics from what I've seen) and are comfortable playing in that pool, so prices have become more competitive.

Every year presents a new story and with these first big auctions of the year, it will again be very interesting to see what comes to market and what other outliers sales appear.

I think we're all surprised by the Starlin sales but even based on what the Ron Lim pages sold for, its clear that Thanos is the tide that rises all boats this year.

Link to Deathstroke? I wasn't following it.

The Enemy cover was a lucky sell, basically the same price Banick was trying to get for two or three years on CAF. I think it only sold because the clock was ticking down.

Link: Deathstroke $7090

Very strong result. Those used to be $2000 all day not so long ago.

In addition to responses on this thread as well as private emails, and based on last nights results, the general consensus seems to be that the OA market is strong. Someone also made an observation that I was not as familiar with, which is that the mid-level, sub-10K market appears to be very strong. I've noticed that this bore out last night as well. Perhaps that indicates that new collectors are coming in (most likely from comics from what I've seen) and are comfortable playing in that pool, so prices have become more competitive.

Every year presents a new story and with these first big auctions of the year, it will again be very interesting to see what comes to market and what other outliers sales appear.

I think we're all surprised by the Starlin sales but even based on what the Ron Lim pages sold for, its clear that Thanos is the tide that rises all boats this year.

Yep, and also based on sales results, Guardians is sinking.

With No Long Halloween pieces avail., Dark Victory gets a bump.

That DV finish was definitely strong. Is there still a premium of TLH vs DV? I use to think there was, and internally I still do to a slight degree, but I don't think there is anymore. Even the prices of pre-TLH Batman Halloween pages are getting quite high.

Malvin

And yes, that Zeck Deathstroke was surprising. Related to Deathstroke's appearance in Arrow?

Setting aside what they sold for a couple of years ago...which goes for more this time, ASM #238 or ASM #317?

And we now have the answer. Is anyone surprised by this, given what #317 cost a couple of years ago?

I had a feeling it'd be close...McSpidey market has cooled, while there was likely upside for the #238 (certainly relative to the price paid two years ago). But I didn't know there was a guarantee for the #238, so that may have skewed the results here.

Hi, Felix:

I recall our discussion about this very thing...which of the two covers would go for more, and you called it right, I'll grant you that. However, and this is a big 'however', I strongly believe Josh's guarantee skewed the final price on the ASM 238 cover. Not sure if we'll ever know by how much, but I'd say it would be a decent chunk of change.

Likewise, I admit that I was overly optimistic in my valuation of the McASM 317 cover. I was factoring in a discount from the peak 2012 prices, and had it pegged at $100K.

Most of all, I'm happy for the fellas at Clink. I think they had a lot of choice material at this auction and it seems like their offerings continue to improve with each of their Featured Auctions.

Probably stating the obvious, but regarding the slowing McSpidey market, a friend of mine suggested that the more well heeled collectors (BSD's) already have their examples and aren't inclined to overpay for things they could have bought at auction the first time around. I guess the question is whether this is a pause or a trend.

Scott

Probably stating the obvious, but regarding the slowing McSpidey market, a friend of mine suggested that the more well heeled collectors (BSD's) already have their examples and aren't inclined to overpay for things they could have bought at auction the first time around. I guess the question is whether this is a pause or a trend.

Scott

I think you hit the nail on the head here!

Hi, Felix:

Scott

And it's for this reason (along with others) that a recent dealer's strategy of buying at auction to later trade to BSDs, was unlikely to succeed.

But hey, if you can afford to try, you can afford to find out for yourself.

I was too late to the bidding...want to make an offer they count not refuse! Instant high return!

Joe

I think I know who bought it. I will drop him a line and confirm.