• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I'm out. So out.

So you run when I ask you questions?

I bow out when the question is meaningless to the situation at hand. You hear what you want to hear, see what you want to see, and spend what you want to spend. If you think an ASM colored in pink marker is a fine investment after all the advice you've been given then my continued participation is clearly meaningless.

Out.

That's not was I was talking about at all you're assuming again and you think my investment with the asm 101 is worthless so I asked you two very simple questions.

My Tec 359 2.0 has similar problems as this asm 101 actually more.

1) What is the highest offer I received?

2) What in your mind is FVM for the tec 359?

I want you to answer these questions and I will prove you wrong here and now unless you believe these too aren't worth answering.

before anyone answers --- Gabe - how about you define an estimated multiplier of how much more the TEC is worth in grade than the ASM?

Then educate us on what this means with respect to how this affects the market for the TEC....

OK

The asm 101 in 2.0 sells between $12-30

The Tec 359 in 2.0 sells for $40-75 dollars

The tec 359 is a silver age key and is a more sought after first appearance with less copies around.

Hey Gabe. I am sure there are other places that list a grading scale to evaluate but even Mile High's (which has been known to be soft on grades) grading scale downgrades excessive writing on the cover to a GD.

Writing: Small, neat writing is allowed on either cover or the interior. Scribbling, large grease pencil, magic marker, or any other significantly offensive writing is not allowed. Allowable writing includes a person's name, a small price, or in the case of old Gold Key or Dell Comics, the writing of the issue number on the cover. But it must be done very neatly or the grade drops to Good.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/information/grade.html

How much do you think you can sell the ASM 101 for?

Around 60-75 dollars

:facepalm:

sold 1

sold 2

sold 3

all in that range --- all look a LOT better than your copy - BEFORE pink ink.......

I don't consider P@X as anything graded but yes you have a point, that only means I'll have to be patient.

Examine the P@X book - structurally it is in MUCH better shape than the one you just bought - not including the VERY LARGE BLEMISH OF PINK INK.

P@X or not - this is what you say you will be trying to sell your book for,,,,,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-Oct-1971-Marvel-1ST-MORBIUS-MID-GRADE-/302110448123?hash=item46572f99fb:g:~2wAAOSw8gVYBDKB

MCS has one in better shape - for 79

and a VG for 90.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-VG-3-5-1st-apperance-of-Morbius-/122072685702?hash=item1c6c195c86:g:jGoAAOSwt7ZXo9wM

this one is probably more of a 2.5-3.0 - but no big pink blemish

You should be patient with your purchases - not your sales.

This means that you overpaid again for a book you somehow though was going to flip for double what you paid. . This research is not that difficult to do.

I did do the research before I bought the comic but there's still one thing left, the fact that we're apart on grades because you say it lowers it from that much all the way to a 1.8/2.0? The pink coloring?

Sorry Gabe, you're not 'apart' on grades, you're miles off. Did you even look close at the scans?

Front Cover:

Large horizontal crease from bottom left corner to middle bottom of cover

Multiple creases bottom right corner, running both diagonally and vertically, worst crease running up to Spiderman's right hand more than 1/3 of the way up.

Ragged right edge with small missing pieces reaching mid point of the cover

At a glance, just the defects on the bottom front of the book, listed above, push it to 4.0/3.5 at best. Add in the top right corner wear, top left corner wear, dirty front cover easily seen in the white top left corner, constant wear and color loss along the left edge running about an inch into the book , dirty staples, spine tics, pink coloring and writing, and that's just the front.

Back cover is very dirty and there appears to be a bend - perhaps color breaking - top left that likely runs through the entire book. The back scan also allows a better view of the front cover missing pieces.

I'd grade this at best a 3.0 without the pink color and at best 2.0 with the pink color. And I'd avoid anyone who grades it 4.0/4.5 like the plague.

Well then you should avoid more then just me as I'm not the only one that graded it at a 4.0/4.5 and about half of the defects that you mentioned don't even affect the grade range it's in except for those creases and the pink coloring and writing.

Hey Gabe. I am sure there are other places that list a grading scale to evaluate but even Mile High's (which has been known to be soft on grades) grading scale downgrades excessive writing on the cover to a GD.

Writing: Small, neat writing is allowed on either cover or the interior. Scribbling, large grease pencil, magic marker, or any other significantly offensive writing is not allowed. Allowable writing includes a person's name, a small price, or in the case of old Gold Key or Dell Comics, the writing of the issue number on the cover. But it must be done very neatly or the grade drops to Good.

How come my grading guide doesn't say that?

Grading guide? What, Wizard or CBG. :roflmao:

accumulation of defects

just because overstreet says that a VG ( or whatever) can show different given defects - does not mean that ALL of them can be present and still be that grade.

Also - if anyone here thinks the book is a 4.0 === please chime in.

I have seen NOBODY state this. Some have - WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE MANY BRIGHT PINK INK STAINS.

So it's the grading guide's fault? Is this another excuse you're going to blame for your poor decisions?

Grading guide? What, Wizard or CBG. :roflmao:

Overstreet

So it's the grading guide's fault? Is this another excuse you're going to blame for your poor decisions?

I'll make this clear. I don't regret buying this comic at all but I'm not happy my grading guide doesn't say that above definition for a 2.0 or above mine starts a .5-1.0 where it talks about that.

Edited by uchiha101

What does your grading guide say with regards to writing on the cover (and not arrival date writing/stamps)?

If your guide doesn't state anything than just evaluate based on defects. If you grade it structurally as a VG then the writing has to be accounted for as an additional defect and bring it lower. And with that much obtrusive writing I think most would drop it at minimum two points.

accumulation of defects

just because overstreet says that a VG ( or whatever) can show different given defects - does not mean that ALL of them can be present and still be that grade.

I have seen NOBODY state this. Some have - WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE MANY BRIGHT PINK INK STAINS.

Fair enough that would only leave me and my friend then.

How much do you think you can sell the ASM 101 for?

Around 60-75 dollars

:facepalm:

sold 1

sold 2

sold 3

all in that range --- all look a LOT better than your copy - BEFORE pink ink.......

I don't consider P@X as anything graded but yes you have a point, that only means I'll have to be patient.

Examine the P@X book - structurally it is in MUCH better shape than the one you just bought - not including the VERY LARGE BLEMISH OF PINK INK.

P@X or not - this is what you say you will be trying to sell your book for,,,,,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-Oct-1971-Marvel-1ST-MORBIUS-MID-GRADE-/302110448123?hash=item46572f99fb:g:~2wAAOSw8gVYBDKB

MCS has one in better shape - for 79

and a VG for 90.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-VG-3-5-1st-apperance-of-Morbius-/122072685702?hash=item1c6c195c86:g:jGoAAOSwt7ZXo9wM

this one is probably more of a 2.5-3.0 - but no big pink blemish

You should be patient with your purchases - not your sales.

This means that you overpaid again for a book you somehow though was going to flip for double what you paid. . This research is not that difficult to do.

I did do the research before I bought the comic but there's still one thing left, the fact that we're apart on grades because you say it lowers it from that much all the way to a 1.8/2.0? The pink coloring?

Sorry Gabe, you're not 'apart' on grades, you're miles off. Did you even look close at the scans?

Front Cover:

Large horizontal crease from bottom left corner to middle bottom of cover

Multiple creases bottom right corner, running both diagonally and vertically, worst crease running up to Spiderman's right hand more than 1/3 of the way up.

Ragged right edge with small missing pieces reaching mid point of the cover

At a glance, just the defects on the bottom front of the book, listed above, push it to 4.0/3.5 at best. Add in the top right corner wear, top left corner wear, dirty front cover easily seen in the white top left corner, constant wear and color loss along the left edge running about an inch into the book , dirty staples, spine tics, pink coloring and writing, and that's just the front.

Back cover is very dirty and there appears to be a bend - perhaps color breaking - top left that likely runs through the entire book. The back scan also allows a better view of the front cover missing pieces.

I'd grade this at best a 3.0 without the pink color and at best 2.0 with the pink color. And I'd avoid anyone who grades it 4.0/4.5 like the plague.

Well then you should avoid more then just me as I'm not the only one that graded it at a 4.0/4.5 and about half of the defects that you mentioned don't even affect the grade range it's in except for those creases and the pink coloring and writing.

I'd certainly avoid any seller who called this a 4.0, it isn't even close.

Sorry Gabe, all the defects count, every last one. You can't just look at the most egregious defects and ignore literally hundreds of smaller defects. They all add up.

Seriously:

zoom in on the bottom edge of the front cover. Can't you see dozens of color breaking creases, some big, covering the bottom of the book? Can't you see the frayed right edge with small missing pieces?

zoom in on the spine area and look down the book. Can't you see dozens and dozens of spots of wear and color loss?

zoom in on the white areas of the book. Can't you see all of the dirt that coats this entire book?

Did you even zoom in before you bought it?

I'll make you a deal, send it into CGC and if it comes back 3.0 or better I'll pay for the grading and I'll buy the book off you for $100.

I'll make this clear. I don't regret buying this comic at all but I'm not happy my grading guide doesn't say that above definition for a 2.0 or above mine starts a .5-1.0 where it talks about that.

Check 1.8 for substantial writing. Regardless of what you call the pink on the cover it's substantial.

What does your grading guide say with regards to writing on the cover (and not arrival date writing/stamps)?

If your guide doesn't state anything than just evaluate based on defects. If you grade it structurally as a VG then the writing has to be accounted for as an additional defect and bring it lower. And with that much obtrusive writing I think most would drop it at minimum two points.

It doesn't say anything

Check 1.8 for substantial writing. Regardless of what you call the pink on the cover it's substantial.

I checked both definitions the small and the big one and neither of them say anything about writing there. It talks about it at .5 then stops.

I'm out. So out.

I bow out when the question is meaningless to the situation at hand. You hear what you want to hear, see what you want to see, and spend what you want to spend. If you think an ASM colored in pink marker is a fine investment after all the advice you've been given then my continued participation is clearly meaningless.

Out.

That's not was I was talking about at all you're assuming again and you think my investment with the asm 101 is worthless so I asked you two very simple questions.

I want you to answer these questions and I will prove you wrong here and now unless you believe these too aren't worth answering.

before anyone answers --- Gabe - how about you define an estimated multiplier of how much more the TEC is worth in grade than the ASM?

Then educate us on what this means with respect to how this affects the market for the TEC....

OK

The tec 359 is a silver age key and is a more sought after first appearance with less copies around.

So - pretty much right on the fact that the 359 is a KEY book. Much more sought after - and will sell in lower grades quicker.

I did not ask for a comparison in 2.0 grade---- but a multiple of what one is worth to the other in the same grade. This gives you a better perspective of what any "number" you get as for an estimate.

This also removes the rose colored glasses you wear most of the time - no idea how you came up with that range - but ebay is NOT a good gauge to grade----- as many times the real grades are all over the place.

TEC 359 --- in general sells for at least 4x what the ASM does in grade..

note - at least 4x- as you get higher - the key really pops.

your challenge of "guess the offer " is junk - unless you got $120 plus shipping for the TEC - looks like you got - 76

so by your own sales and logic - you made a bad buy for the ASM.

and the ASM - the hot pink marker = way more of a visual issue than the marker on the TEC

I checked both definitions the small and the big one and neither of them say anything about writing there. It talks about it at .5 then stops.

Not sure which one you have, but on page 297 there is an example of a book with writing on it. It's the Peanuts book.

I'm out. So out.

Out.

OK

So - pretty much right on the fact that the 359 is a KEY book. Much more sought after - and will sell in lower grades quicker.

I did not ask for a comparison in 2.0 grade---- but a multiple of what one is worth to the other in the same grade. This gives you a better perspective of what any "number" you get as for an estimate.

This also removes the rose colored glasses you wear most of the time - no idea how you came up with that range - but ebay is NOT a good gauge to grade----- as many times the real grades are all over the place.

TEC 359 --- in general sells for at least 4x what the ASM does in grade..

note - at least 4x- as you get higher - the key really pops.

your challenge of "guess the offer " is junk - unless you got $120 plus shipping for the TEC - looks like you got - 76

so by your own sales and logic - you made a bad buy for the ASM.

and the ASM - the hot pink marker = way more of a visual issue than the marker on the TEC

I've gotten the amount I did because you told me to lower the price which I did and I've received three high offers for my Tec 359. $175, 145 and 120 I didn't take it because I was greedy. I thought you were talking about the 2.0 grades since that's what I was comparing and I was told multiple times not to use graded comic value since they're raw.

accumulation of defects

Fair enough that would only leave me and my friend then.

maybe you need your friend to post their opinion - AND credentials. You and one other person saying this is a 4.0 ...vs 20+ saying a 2.0?

Not sure which one you have, but on page 297 there is an example of a book with writing on it. It's the Peanuts book.

Same one as you but I was using the definitions to get the grade for it.

8 8