• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I have no comment about this purchase, but imagine others might.

I bought this because I can flip it

*SLAP*

/slap/

noun

1. an attempted flip by Gabe that cannot make a profit.

W16227: "Did you see the latest book Gabe bought?"

Plantman: "It's a *SLAP*!"

Ha ha.

Hey Gabe. I am sure there are other places that list a grading scale to evaluate but even Mile High's (which has been known to be soft on grades) grading scale downgrades excessive writing on the cover to a GD.

Writing: Small, neat writing is allowed on either cover or the interior. Scribbling, large grease pencil, magic marker, or any other significantly offensive writing is not allowed. Allowable writing includes a person's name, a small price, or in the case of old Gold Key or Dell Comics, the writing of the issue number on the cover. But it must be done very neatly or the grade drops to Good.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/information/grade.html

How come my grading guide doesn't say that?

accumulation of defects

just because overstreet says that a VG ( or whatever) can show different given defects - does not mean that ALL of them can be present and still be that grade.

Also - if anyone here thinks the book is a 4.0 === please chime in.

I have seen NOBODY state this. Some have - WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE MANY BRIGHT PINK INK STAINS.

Fair enough that would only leave me and my friend then.

maybe you need your friend to post their opinion - AND credentials. You and one other person saying this is a 4.0 ...vs 20+ saying a 2.0?

No you're right and I'm wrong I tried to read the definitions and thought it would give me the full picture and I know my friend has higher end comics not sure about credentials though.

--- what I mean - maybe your friend should post to say why they think this is a 4.0

By credentials - they need to give us some info as to their credibility. So far - all we know is that they gave you questionable advice on the DV 3. This alone is not any reason for the board at large to think that they do or do not know what they are doing. Even their ebay ID - can be helpful so we can see what they list.

Sure I'll ask what their ebay ID is.

How much do you think you can sell the ASM 101 for?

Around 60-75 dollars

:facepalm:

sold 1

sold 2

sold 3

all in that range --- all look a LOT better than your copy - BEFORE pink ink.......

I don't consider P@X as anything graded but yes you have a point, that only means I'll have to be patient.

Examine the P@X book - structurally it is in MUCH better shape than the one you just bought - not including the VERY LARGE BLEMISH OF PINK INK.

P@X or not - this is what you say you will be trying to sell your book for,,,,,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-Oct-1971-Marvel-1ST-MORBIUS-MID-GRADE-/302110448123?hash=item46572f99fb:g:~2wAAOSw8gVYBDKB

MCS has one in better shape - for 79

and a VG for 90.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-VG-3-5-1st-apperance-of-Morbius-/122072685702?hash=item1c6c195c86:g:jGoAAOSwt7ZXo9wM

this one is probably more of a 2.5-3.0 - but no big pink blemish

You should be patient with your purchases - not your sales.

This means that you overpaid again for a book you somehow though was going to flip for double what you paid. . This research is not that difficult to do.

I did do the research before I bought the comic but there's still one thing left, the fact that we're apart on grades because you say it lowers it from that much all the way to a 1.8/2.0? The pink coloring?

Sorry Gabe, you're not 'apart' on grades, you're miles off. Did you even look close at the scans?

Front Cover:

Large horizontal crease from bottom left corner to middle bottom of cover

Multiple creases bottom right corner, running both diagonally and vertically, worst crease running up to Spiderman's right hand more than 1/3 of the way up.

Ragged right edge with small missing pieces reaching mid point of the cover

At a glance, just the defects on the bottom front of the book, listed above, push it to 4.0/3.5 at best. Add in the top right corner wear, top left corner wear, dirty front cover easily seen in the white top left corner, constant wear and color loss along the left edge running about an inch into the book , dirty staples, spine tics, pink coloring and writing, and that's just the front.

Back cover is very dirty and there appears to be a bend - perhaps color breaking - top left that likely runs through the entire book. The back scan also allows a better view of the front cover missing pieces.

I'd grade this at best a 3.0 without the pink color and at best 2.0 with the pink color. And I'd avoid anyone who grades it 4.0/4.5 like the plague.

Well then you should avoid more then just me as I'm not the only one that graded it at a 4.0/4.5 and about half of the defects that you mentioned don't even affect the grade range it's in except for those creases and the pink coloring and writing.

I'd certainly avoid any seller who called this a 4.0, it isn't even close.

Sorry Gabe, all the defects count, every last one. You can't just look at the most egregious defects and ignore literally hundreds of smaller defects. They all add up.

Seriously:

zoom in on the bottom edge of the front cover. Can't you see dozens of color breaking creases, some big, covering the bottom of the book? Can't you see the frayed right edge with small missing pieces?

zoom in on the spine area and look down the book. Can't you see dozens and dozens of spots of wear and color loss?

zoom in on the white areas of the book. Can't you see all of the dirt that coats this entire book?

Did you even zoom in before you bought it?

I'll make you a deal, send it into CGC and if it comes back 3.0 or better I'll pay for the grading and I'll buy the book off you for $100.

He will. Totally vouch for this man right here. You won't get a better deal or better odds

I know I sold a comic to him before.

How much do you think you can sell the ASM 101 for?

Around 60-75 dollars

:facepalm:

sold 1

sold 2

sold 3

all in that range --- all look a LOT better than your copy - BEFORE pink ink.......

I don't consider P@X as anything graded but yes you have a point, that only means I'll have to be patient.

Examine the P@X book - structurally it is in MUCH better shape than the one you just bought - not including the VERY LARGE BLEMISH OF PINK INK.

P@X or not - this is what you say you will be trying to sell your book for,,,,,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-Oct-1971-Marvel-1ST-MORBIUS-MID-GRADE-/302110448123?hash=item46572f99fb:g:~2wAAOSw8gVYBDKB

MCS has one in better shape - for 79

and a VG for 90.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-101-VG-3-5-1st-apperance-of-Morbius-/122072685702?hash=item1c6c195c86:g:jGoAAOSwt7ZXo9wM

this one is probably more of a 2.5-3.0 - but no big pink blemish

You should be patient with your purchases - not your sales.

This means that you overpaid again for a book you somehow though was going to flip for double what you paid. . This research is not that difficult to do.

I did do the research before I bought the comic but there's still one thing left, the fact that we're apart on grades because you say it lowers it from that much all the way to a 1.8/2.0? The pink coloring?

Sorry Gabe, you're not 'apart' on grades, you're miles off. Did you even look close at the scans?

Front Cover:

Large horizontal crease from bottom left corner to middle bottom of cover

Multiple creases bottom right corner, running both diagonally and vertically, worst crease running up to Spiderman's right hand more than 1/3 of the way up.

Ragged right edge with small missing pieces reaching mid point of the cover

At a glance, just the defects on the bottom front of the book, listed above, push it to 4.0/3.5 at best. Add in the top right corner wear, top left corner wear, dirty front cover easily seen in the white top left corner, constant wear and color loss along the left edge running about an inch into the book , dirty staples, spine tics, pink coloring and writing, and that's just the front.

Back cover is very dirty and there appears to be a bend - perhaps color breaking - top left that likely runs through the entire book. The back scan also allows a better view of the front cover missing pieces.

I'd grade this at best a 3.0 without the pink color and at best 2.0 with the pink color. And I'd avoid anyone who grades it 4.0/4.5 like the plague.

Well then you should avoid more then just me as I'm not the only one that graded it at a 4.0/4.5 and about half of the defects that you mentioned don't even affect the grade range it's in except for those creases and the pink coloring and writing.

I'd certainly avoid any seller who called this a 4.0, it isn't even close.

Sorry Gabe, all the defects count, every last one. You can't just look at the most egregious defects and ignore literally hundreds of smaller defects. They all add up.

Seriously:

zoom in on the bottom edge of the front cover. Can't you see dozens of color breaking creases, some big, covering the bottom of the book? Can't you see the frayed right edge with small missing pieces?

zoom in on the spine area and look down the book. Can't you see dozens and dozens of spots of wear and color loss?

zoom in on the white areas of the book. Can't you see all of the dirt that coats this entire book?

Did you even zoom in before you bought it?

I'll make you a deal, send it into CGC and if it comes back 3.0 or better I'll pay for the grading and I'll buy the book off you for $100.

You know that this book won't come back as a 3.0, the only thing that will come of having the book slabbed is Gabe will be out $50+.I'd say it would teach him a lesson but that's unlikely.

It's a 2.0, all day.I'd be surprised if it got a 2.5.

I know that now after two people pointed out where I should look.

If this attitude of "I'm right - about everything, everytime" is the same 'tude you give your employers, no wonder you get the sack on a regular basis.

Jebus man, 100% of people replying are telling you that you stuffed up.

Accept it - dump that puppy for $10 and consider yourself lucky to get that.

Someone post the trainwreck gif, because I can't be arsed.

This is like watching a baby seal being clubbed repeatedly in ultra-slow motion.

Everything you said here is wrong and you're under the assumption that you know who I act at work you don't.

Second, If I think something is right I will defend it it doesn't matter who says it and no I will sell this for more then 10 dollars.

Friend update

2 of my friends said that asm 101 was a good deal but the friend that told me about the DV 3 said he wouldn't have done it.

Did they see the book? That was not a good deal at all.

Yes I showed him both the front and the back cover of it.

But after seeing that ASM 101 I'd say you would burn thru your post fees in a couple months. Not a bad pick up . . its a terrible pick up. I sell nice presenting VG copies of $70 - $80 with no ink marks. I usually drop the price at least in half for that kind of defect so I'm thinking you will get $35 on E-Bay and even that will take some time.

Yes it will take some time but I will get what I'm looking for. So what will you guys say when I sell this comic for a profit?

You are only into it for $35 so it's not outside the realm of possibilities that you will sell it for a small gain but if you think you can post it up as a VG/VG+ anywhere and not lose customers you are kidding yourself. Meeklo is a fine grader (but not know as one of the few ultra tight graders on the forum) and he went with a GD. If you went GD+ no one would bat an eye but putting a VG+ on it will do more harm then good in my opinion.

Edited by 1Cool

Yes it will take some time but I will get what I'm looking for. So what will you guys say when I sell this comic for a profit?

You are only into it for $35 so it's not outside the realm of possibilities that you will sell it for a small gain but if you think you can post it up as a VG/VG+ anywhere and not lose customers you are kidding yourself. Meeklo is a fine grader (but not know as one of the few ultra tight graders on the forum) and he went with a GD. If you went GD+ no one would bat an eye but putting a VG+ on it will do more harm then good in my opinion.

No I won't be putting the grade any higher then 2.5 I've been made to understand that I've over-graded with this one, however I knew that even with the grade it is I will be able to make a profit I just need to be patient.

No I won't be putting the grade any higher then 2.5 I've been made to understand that I've over-graded with this one, however I knew that even with the grade it is I will be able to make a profit I just need to be patient.

Oh - good. Kind of scary that was your first thought but at least you have changed your mind. Cheap keys are always in demand and who know you could get lucky but my money is on you selling it at cost (if you are lucky) in 5 months.

8 8