• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I call it amateur color touch and I've graded it at what I feel it is.

Ok, let's go with that. So you have a 4.0 SA in your grading world. What's your estimated value of a VG, and what discount do you apply for the resto?

You know what? Put me on the 'out' list. Sayonara.

Later

Color touch up basically enhances the appearance of an otherwise lower grade book to appear like a book in higher grade. So in your opinion, the pink marker on the cover makes it look like a higher grade book?

No I was told that anything that goes on the cover whatever the reason like markers, crayon or whatever else counts as amateur restoration, pencil being the exception to this rule. Also just because it's restoration doesn't mean it will make it look like a higher grade hence the word "Amateur" and this is something a kid drew for fun.

Of course I realize that but I see that it's under-graded as imo.

What grade do you think it is? It looks to me like a 4.0 or so without the pink drawing on it, so I'd say Meeklo wasn't far off.

Yes I'm grading it as a 4.0/4.5 because I don't see anything in the grading guide that says otherwise

I'm not going to hold back on this post but do you have a freaking clue at all???? That book is not even close to a 4.0 WITHOUT THE PINK ALL OVER IT. You've been here for years and think that could possibly be a 4.0/4.5.

You don't have a clue how to grade at all. Without the pink it's a 2.5, 3.0 at best. It's a 1.8/2.0 with the pink.

Stop wasting your money. Sell video games or stick to graded books, but you sir have no idea how to grade. If I got that book in a collection I'd put it out for $5.00.

Jim

I agree that with the substantial writing on the cover this grades out to be a 1.8, 2.0 at the most. Gabe, you really need to reconsider this a side job or whatever you call it because you are not only a horrible business person but you clearly do not know what you're doing.

I disagree I may not be perfect at grading but I'm not terrible at it as you say. When I come across these things I still struggle deciding what grade they are but if if has common defects then I don't. You call it writing and I'm calling it something else maybe that's why we're apart on the grades.

You don't know what you're doing unless someone guides you along and even then you find ways to screw things up. If you don't call that substantial writing then what do you call it?

in less than 10 minutes - I was able to find three books that sold in the price range you think you can "flip " this for - and all were better than your book without the ink.

I was also able to find a couple in this range for sale - that are better.

Exactly what research are you doing? - what I was able to do - required ZERO grading skillz - just being able to compare was enough to see that this is not a flipping opportunity.

Same thing you did

What grade do you think it is? It looks to me like a 4.0 or so without the pink drawing on it, so I'd say Meeklo wasn't far off.

Yes I'm grading it as a 4.0/4.5 because I don't see anything in the grading guide that says otherwise

I'm not going to hold back on this post but do you have a freaking clue at all???? That book is not even close to a 4.0 WITHOUT THE PINK ALL OVER IT. You've been here for years and think that could possibly be a 4.0/4.5.

You don't have a clue how to grade at all. Without the pink it's a 2.5, 3.0 at best. It's a 1.8/2.0 with the pink.

Stop wasting your money. Sell video games or stick to graded books, but you sir have no idea how to grade. If I got that book in a collection I'd put it out for $5.00.

Jim

I agree that with the substantial writing on the cover this grades out to be a 1.8, 2.0 at the most. Gabe, you really need to reconsider this a side job or whatever you call it because you are not only a horrible business person but you clearly do not know what you're doing.

I disagree I may not be perfect at grading but I'm not terrible at it as you say. When I come across these things I still struggle deciding what grade they are but if if has common defects then I don't. You call it writing and I'm calling it something else maybe that's why we're apart on the grades.

You don't know what you're doing unless someone guides you along and even then you find ways to screw things up. If you don't call that substantial writing then what do you call it?

If you lit your money on fire at least you'd get a little heat out of it as it burned. That'd be better than buying this book for a flip. If anyone had a lingering hope you've learned something you've effectively crushed it.

Jim

in less than 10 minutes - I was able to find three books that sold in the price range you think you can "flip " this for - and all were better than your book without the ink.

Exactly what research are you doing? - what I was able to do - required ZERO grading skillz - just being able to compare was enough to see that this is not a flipping opportunity.

Same thing you did

So given the evidence that there is no way this is a $60 flip book - you came to the conclusion that this is a book to flip?

Jim

If you lit your money on fire at least you'd get a little heat out of it as it burned. That'd be better than buying this book for a flip. If anyone had a lingering hope you've learned something you've effectively crushed it.

You don't give me enough credit so I'll ask you this since it had a similar problem my tec 359 2.0 with drawings on it what do you think was the highest offer I received? Next answer what you think FMV for such a comic is.

Jim

Same thing you did

So given the evidence that there is no way this is a $60 flip book - you came to the conclusion that this is a book to flip?

I said I did the same research as you not reaching the same conclusion .

So the word "SLAP" written in pink is color touch?

Color touch on a comic usually has purpose... and from my impression, is usually frowned upon. Adding amateur on top of that only makes it worse, imo.

However this is not color touch, it's simply writing/coloring on a comic, and really detracts from the value of this comic. I think Meeklo had it priced/graded right in his sales thread and is probably feeling very good about getting $30 out of it.

I think it's wishful thinking trying to profit on this one.

Color touch up basically enhances the appearance of an otherwise lower grade book to appear like a book in higher grade. So in your opinion, the pink marker on the cover makes it look like a higher grade book?

No I was told that anything that goes on the cover whatever the reason like markers, crayon or whatever else counts as amateur restoration, pencil being the exception to this rule. Also just because it's restoration doesn't mean it will make it look like a higher grade hence the word "Amateur" and this is something a kid drew for fun.

Who on earth told you that?

9358349229_12091b8bd1_c.jpg

Why didn't my 4.5 get Purple Label then? There's a marker "8" on there. According to you it should be SA.

That pink is not amateur color touch. Color touch is used for restorative purposes. For example, if there's a white crease and someone uses sharpie on it to hide the crease. The pink writing is just considered damage/a defect. Someone was coloring on the book rather than trying to restore it. But irregardless of what you call it. The book is a 4.5 structurally and then you add the pink writing defect. The grade itself is not what matters; what matters is the appearance of the book. This book has a bad physical appearance. It is considered a reader copy.

Seller graded it as a G and for good reason. It's nowhere near a 4.0/4.5, not even close with all of the dirt on the back cover and the pink on the front cover. This will be another lesson, learn how to grade and don't buy coloring books.

Jim

You don't give me enough credit so I'll ask you this since it had a similar problem my tec 359 2.0 with drawings on it what do you think was the highest offer I received? Next answer what you think FMV for such a comic is.

You're wrong, I don't give you any credit at all. You're either trolling the boards or you really are this clueless to randomly throw money you don't have at worthless books. The Hulk #180 was clearly a stroke of luck rather than a result of you having learned anything, otherwise you wouldn't have followed it up with this "flip" you're going to apparently try to misrepresent.

It's not restoration period. Call it what you want to but its a defect. If you consider someone using the cover as a coloring book as "amateur touch up" then it's no wonder you're in the situation you're in.

Color touch on a comic usually has purpose... and from my impression, is usually frowned upon. Adding amateur on top of that only makes it worse, imo.

However this is not color touch, it's simply writing/coloring on a comic, and really detracts from the value of this comic. I think Meeklo had it priced/graded right in his sales thread and is probably feeling very good about getting $30 out of it.

No, slap is the writing part of it everything else it color touch.

Who on earth told you that?

9358349229_12091b8bd1_c.jpg

Why didn't my 4.5 get Purple Label then? There's a marker "8" on there. According to you it should be SA.

Because it's an allowable defect since comic shop owners did this in the past.

Seller graded it as a G and for good reason. It's nowhere near a 4.0/4.5, not even close with all of the dirt on the back cover and the pink on the front cover. This will be another lesson, learn how to grade and don't buy coloring books.

I've seen worse covers on 4.0/4.5's plus other defects.

No, slap is the writing part of it everything else it color touch.

I really have sympathy for those people that are around you and try to help you, especially your parents.

8 8