• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Everyone, he has zero interest in listening to your advice. Save your breath and your sanity.

To be fair, I don't ever recall him asking anyone for advice.

I believe you're correct. Though there are enough gentle souls here who initially were trying to help out with nudges in the right direction after seeing someone who obviously didn't know what he was doing. Lest we forget his initial foray into the forums offering his 20% "cosignment" service.

If Gabe were a different sort he would ask everyone here to keep their opinions to themselves and just let him record his (mis)adventures in flipping comic books (shrug)

Yeah that 20% consignment service was when I was first starting out but there are a lot of kind boardies on here.

That's a lot of money tied up in Black Lightning.

Do network tv shows generate a price bump enough to justify paying $40 each for these? After a cursory search, this seems high.

Also, what are the grades associated with your copies?

The grades are 6.0, 6.0, 7.0/7.5 5.0 I fully admit that I overpaid for them so now I need to sit on them while I sell the others.

Yikes, this is going to be a hard one to try to recover your money.

Do network tv shows generate a price bump enough to justify paying $40 each for these? After a cursory search, this seems high.

And the grade/condition of Betty & Me #16 please.

Not sure what to grade it as it has pieces of pages missing so I'm thinking 1.5-1.8

I guess that explains why you got such a good price on it.

Yeah and the thing is I asked him about three times if the comic has anything wrong with it and he said no.

C) I rarely go if ever to flea markets/garage sales/estate sales

And there it is. The dealer/flipper golden ticket - but it's all a bit hard to get up in the morning I guess.

This is where you find your profit Gabe - and by getting there first.

Check out the Garage sale/ flea market thread in CG - EVERYONE who scored those books had to work to find them.

It's as simple as that!

I know as that thread is one my watch lists and it's not about getting up in the morning for me it's having transportation to come back.

Well then dammit quit buying books at GPA-highs or at the top of their hype and buy yourself a BICYCLE and a lock and take responsibility for your OWN transportation!

THINK man!

Your life is what YOU make of it.

Quit waiting around like a helpless sloth for other people to do things for you and take responsibility for yourself!

And QUIT BUYING COMICS dammit!!!

Those Black Lightnings at $40 a pop are nearly PEAKED already. Not flippable at all at that price and are now just more of your bloated inventory locking up your money until who knows when.

You're losing lots of money, time, opportunities and important life lessons every single day!

Life is happening to you right now while you sit and click around the internet looking for a fargging comicbook to make a few bucks on!

Meanwhile life is passing you by and leaving you in the dust - months and months are going by and you STILL have not increased your marketable education, people-skills, job-skills or desirability as a potential employee!

This wasteful irresponsible way you're burning up your life your 20s is creating a deep deep rut in your life-path that you will NOT be able to just suddenly one day drive yourself out of even IF you magically score an AF15 from a dollar-bin someday and will instead keep you addicted to buying comics, dependent on others, undesirable to employers, unable to fully support yourself and make you live in debt living paycheck-to-paycheck for the rest of your life!

Your life continues to just pass you by day by day as you are growing more and more addicted to the POSSIBILITY of finding a great score in comics.

QUIT IT!

Find a PRODUCTIVE purpose to your life other than trying to make money flipping comicbooks. Point your life in a direction that helps other people who are less-fortunate than you. Apparently you think you haven't been given a lot in life, but you have a LOT more than many people have.

Go bring a box of cheap comics to a children's cancer hospital - see if they take donations. Wash your hands, face and hair good and sit in the children's cancer gathering area for a whole day. Then try complaining that you have a disorder that makes your life hard.

Go volunteer at a homeless shelter for a few afternoons a week instead of napping or searching facebook comic sales. See your future self in those people if you don't make changes to your basic life-path NOW.

Start jogging or "trotting" every day (before it gets dark and scary out). Improve your physical health and your mental health will also improve, guaranteed!

Spend a Sunday morning at a church even if just to listen and/or meditate.

You are composed of THREE things - mind/body/spirit - and you have neglected ALL of them for many years it seems.

Comics will do NOTHING for you other than very brief temporary enjoyment, while the REAL substance of your life withers from neglect.

Good Lord you don't need help - you need to ACCEPT all that you've already been given!

The black lightning comics I was thinking of letting them be cosigned to my lcs. I have many things to work on and I realize that and I'll start working on my body after all it's been 7 years. I'll also buy a bike to travel around locally.

I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck and it's one of my goal, comics are something I enjoy and do on the side. I used to go to church and meditate. I've never been to a cancer hospital and I don't want to go. I hate seeing undeserving people in pain and it would remind me again of how I saw some of my family members die.

I used to live in a homeless shelter for two months.

NO! YOU DON'T SIT ON HYPED BOOKS THAT ARE AT THEIR PEAK!

SELL THEM NOW.

Sell everything now. Get out. Buy a bicycle.

Learn about turn rates. Accept small losses to protect yourself from complete losses.

That was the other thing I was thinking about and calculated to sell the black lightning copies for 20 dollars each or giving it to my lcs to consign.

The grades are 6.0, 6.0, 7.0/7.5 5.0 I fully admit that I overpaid for them so now I need to sit on them while I sell the others.

Yikes, this is going to be a hard one to try to recover your money.

Yes it will be

Nov-04-2016 $115

Aug-28-2016 $79

Aug-28-2016 $113

last 90 days........

I did pay 115 it's the shipping that was 24.50

Why is 25% of your cost, shipping? You can't make money at those kind of rates. You can't buy $100 books to flip, where the shipping is 25% percent of your cost. Go to a show, by that kind of book where there is no shipping costs.

It just doesn't make sense.

Jim

Yeah I asked about that and he says because it's going to Canada he can't really help me there.

At that point, you should have walked away. Your best bet is to get a 40 hr per week job. With the amount of time you already have in this book, you could have made $50 Right now, you are working harder avoiding a job, than the actual work would be.

I'm a little bit tired but what do you mean I could have already made $50? 25 from shipping what's the other 25?

At $10 per hr, you could have made $50 instead of posting for 5 hrs here.

Gabe has been shown how much further ahead he would be in life if he worked 40 hours a week at a minimum wage job vs 20 hours a week several times.

He chooses to ignore it and keep on trying to be a flipper "on the side" not caring and/or realizing that if you only work 20 hours a week you shouldn't have a "side gig". You should have a full-time job or a couple of jobs. Once you get that down, THEN you can have a side gig.

If he put half the effort that he puts into his failed comic flipping gig into finding another job and/or more hours, he would be light years ahead. Gabe needs to get the basics of life down first but for WHATEVER reason, can't and/or won't actually get to it.

Nov-04-2016 $115

Aug-28-2016 $79

Aug-28-2016 $113

last 90 days........

I did pay 115 it's the shipping that was 24.50

Why is 25% of your cost, shipping? You can't make money at those kind of rates. You can't buy $100 books to flip, where the shipping is 25% percent of your cost. Go to a show, by that kind of book where there is no shipping costs.

It just doesn't make sense.

Jim

Yeah I asked about that and he says because it's going to Canada he can't really help me there.

At that point, you should have walked away. Your best bet is to get a 40 hr per week job. With the amount of time you already have in this book, you could have made $50 Right now, you are working harder avoiding a job, than the actual work would be.

I'm a little bit tired but what do you mean I could have already made $50? 25 from shipping what's the other 25?

Oh that's what you meant thanks for explaining.

It works, too. When I was 13 I really wanted a motorcycle. I worked for 7 weeks during summer vacation on a farm. $25 per week plus room and board. 13 days on then, 1 day off. (about 70 hrs per week) I saved every penny ($175)

The next summer at 14 (spring 1979) I worked 2 jobs for much more pay. When I was 15 I walked into a motorcycle salesroom and bought a brand new street bike off the showroom floor for $1550 cash. I drove it home from the city that day a proud boy.

It works, too. When I was 13 I really wanted a motorcycle. I worked for 7 weeks during summer vacation on a farm. $25 per week plus room and board. 13 days on then, 1 day off. (about 70 hrs per week) I saved every penny ($175)

The next summer at 14 (spring 1979) I worked 2 jobs for much more pay. When I was 15 I walked into a motorcycle salesroom and bought a brand new street bike off the showroom floor for $1550 cash. I drove it home from the city that day a proud boy.

There is nothing in this world more satisfying than working hard and getting something in return for that hard work. :cloud9:

Bought my first car a 1988 Dodge Diplomat from my neighbor for $800 with the money I made from McDonalds. Loved that car.

My first car in 1986 was a 69 Dodge Charger. The day I got my license, it took me about an hour and a half to get my first ticket.

That's dedication and being determined

There is nothing in this world more satisfying than working hard and getting something in return for that hard work. :cloud9:

Agreed

8 8