• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Dude...McDonald's didn't hire him, what are you realistically expecting from him? I'm not trying to be mean or anything but he's the first person I ever heard of getting turned down by them.

Are there any programs in Canada that can help people with learning disabilities learn a trade or something?

I'm not the only person to be turned down by Mcdonald's and yes there are programs that help with disabilities to learn trades and stuff.

Have you thought about doing one of those programs? If you were to learn a good trade and work full time you can make more money. It'll be easier to do the side hustle with comics when you have more expendable income.

OP, you've stated that you've had issues with stamina and strength, some of which might preclude you from getting more physical work. Have you worked on improving in those areas? one can improve one's fitness and strength FOR FREE, and there are mental, physical, and possibly professional benefits for doing so. Its been asked about before, have you gone about making more yourself BETTER in some aspect everyday, physically, mentally, spiritually, professionally.

If you thought going out at 6pm on Halloween was bad wait till you rent a place for 350$ all inclusive

lol EXACTLY.

In So. Cal. You can't find anything to rent less than two thousand a month. That's the sheitty neighborhoods.

If you thought going out at 6pm on Halloween was bad wait till you rent a place for 350$ all inclusive

lol EXACTLY.

In So. Cal. You can't find anything to rent less than two thousand a month. That's the sheitty neighborhoods.

Actually you can still get into the worst parts of South Central under $500. Of course, the actual 'cost' might be much higher, but the rent can be less than $500 to rent a room in a house.

That thought has crossed my mind many times.

Halloween year around and sleeping with a crowbar under your pillow is really uncomfortable.

lol EXACTLY.

But you get two or three electrical outlets. Don't overlook that.

None. As for who I followed up with none of them didn't contact me so I didn't bother.

this was the part you need to fix if you are actually wanting a job.

Employers aren't responsible for getting you a job. You are responsible for getting you a job. So the onus (which mean the duty or action) is on you.

Submit your application.

A few days later follow up with a call, or drop by if you are in the neighborhood (especially for places where then hiring manager is not often available to take calls).

"Hi My name is _____ and I dropped off an application for ______ last week. I just wanted to be sure that it got to you and check to see if you had any openings that you were currently hiring for."

If S/He says some version of yes: Thats great, I really would like to work there (or some other positive/affirmitive statement showing desire and interest), if you have any questions about my application I can be reached at my contact info,thanks have a good day. [hang up]

If S/He says some version of no: Thanks, good to know. Do you have any idea if you will be hiring in the near future (in case there is seasonal growth in staff)? If s/he say's yes to that then say something about ok I'll check back in with you when it gets closer. If s/he says no, say "Ok well if anything changes you have my application and my contact info, thanks."

You could also ask him/her how long they hold applications (lots of min wage jobs have a standard time frame to keep them, and then they toss the ones older than X (say older than 3 months, 6 months who knows).

All of this take 2 minutes on the phone or in person with the manager, and make the impression that...

1. you are actually interested in the job (which means you might actually have a positive attitude about working there)

2. you have the initiative to try and get the job (which means you might have initiative at work too)

3. You follow up/follow thru with things (again, you are demonstrating behaviors here that managers want to hire).

Do you think a manager wants to hire someone who does the bare minimum, with no followup and no drive? Nope. Me either.

A lot of people are getting frustrated because they're giving seemingly reasonable, if not excellent advice, and the progress being made is barely inching along, if there is any progress at all. And that is understandable.

But most of those people seem to be making the assumption that you have AT WORST a lazy kid with a mild learning disorder who is leeching off his parents and possibly government assistance in the past. I would say that diagnosis is the absolute BEST case scenario for the OP, and would mean he at least has the POTENTIAL for improvement in the future, with a bit more discipline, willpower, and education, or at least a full time minimum wage job.

I'm no sociologist or psychologist, but I don't think we're dealing with a rational actor here who has the capacity to make seemingly obvious (to most of us) connections between motivation, behavior, and goals (or maths) that would really allow for any type of independent financial survival , outside of finding and mastering one specific technical skill that he reasonably enjoys and hopefully pays at least a basic sustaining wage.

Which is not an excuse for lack of will, but I think this is a kid who at times has wanted things very much and tried very hard at very basic things only to fail, much to the chagrin of teachers, friends, and family around him. And my guess is that type of thing has happened more than once, maybe more than a hundred times. And that takes a toll. And it can cripple many aspects of person's life if left unaddressed.

Which is why I once again reiterate my position that all collectible flipping activity (and related advice and encouragement thereof) should be ceased until such time that professional help can be obtained and sufficient progress made in emotional, professional, and hopefully learning arenas. He doesn't get it and won't until he gets real professional help and improves other parts of his life.

The cursory adulation he receives from the occasional 'good' sale only serves to reinforce his fantasy that he's somehow on the right track, and mentally buys him a reprieve from working on things that truly matter.

Moving update

This is one of the biggest updates I've ever done. Due to religious differences I'm moving out at the end of the month.

Religious differences?

Yes my family is Catholic and I just became a Christian so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Moving update

This is one of the biggest updates I've ever done. Due to religious differences I'm moving out at the end of the month.

Religious differences?

Yes my family is Catholic and I just became a Christian so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Good luck to you. :eyeroll:

Moving update

Religious differences?

I'm lost. It sounds very personal.... but I'm lost.

8 8