• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Now if you can do that type of transaction 200 times per year......you will still be considered under the poverty level :tonofbricks: .

The hours thing again right?

Not necessarily, just illustrating a point, that even if you pulled off 4 of these $50-$60 profit flips per week, you earned $5.90 per hour. Not even minimum wage.

That's true but this isn't my job right now it's something I'm doing on the side with the hopes of it becoming an eventual job.

:facepalm: x 1,000,000

Again why not focus on getting a *real* job? How many jobs have you actually applied for in the last 60 days? Of those jobs, how many did you do any follow up with? Around the holidays, many employers are/were looking for extra staff. Did you look into any of that? Did your current employer offer you any additional hours?

In the last 60 days how many hours have you spent researching "real jobs" you think you may like to do and what education/skills you would need?

That's great that you made a $50 profit on a sale of a book, even with that Animosity book, good for you but can you LIVE on that? Did those sales in any shape or form improve your standard of living? No. You are still earning at the bottom 20% of Canadians for an unattached individual. Your situation would be even more dire if you were not living with your parents.

To not work that additional 20 hours per week at minimum wage, you would have to be able to to do "deals" like that about 200 - 250 times a year to rank in the bottom percent of the lower-middle class for an unattached individual (about $23,000 per year). To earn a lower-middle wage for an unattached individual purely by selling comics, you would need to sell 460 per year at an average of $50 profit.

To make, say $30,000 per year (a decent unattached individual middle-middle income range for Canada) you would have to sell 600 books at at an average profit of $50. To make $35,000 per year, you would have to sell 700 books per year with an average profit of $50.

Realistically, can you sell 460, 600 or 700 books per year and average a $50 profit per book to have a decent standard of living? Does this seem likely to turn into a job where you can fully support yourself? There is hope and then there is false hope. Gabe, your "hope" for this to turn into an eventual job or means to fully support yourself is definitely the latter. Again, if not for your parents, you would be living in poverty.

"False hope can lead to intemperate choices and flawed decision making. True hope takes into account the real threats that exist and seeks to navigate the best path around them."

The "real threat" to you if you continue down this path is that you will continue to live with your parents and live at or below the poverty line with zero resources, other than government assistance. Your station in life won't be improved. Finding a good job will only get harder and harder the longer you wait and put it off.

Something to think about?

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Just think he could sell 1400 books at $25 profit per book

or 2800 books at $12.50 profit per book

or maybe just maybe he could sell 30,000 books at $1 profit per book :banana:

The thought of shipping 30,000 comics makes me :fear::sick:

lol I see what you did there. I know that was a lot of :blahblah: Just trying to illustrate with Gabe most recent success how often he would need to deliver to be able to make a living solely selling books.

lol I see what you did there. I know that was a lot of :blahblah: Just trying to illustrate with Gabe most recent success how often he would need to deliver to be able to make a living solely selling books.

No no no I'm very glad you broke it down for him...he might actually figure out that being a comic dealer for the near future isn't viable.

Now if we were talking about Quagmire and being a man thang to the women well that's a different story.

No no no I'm very glad you broke it down for him...he might actually figure out that being a comic dealer for the near future isn't viable.

Now if we were talking about Quagmire and being a man thang to the women well that's a different story.

Its been broken down before for him. Even with his learning issues, the odds of him going to college, getting and MBA or Law degree and working and saving enough money for a million dollar comic are a million times better than trying to become the next Dale Roberts or Gator starting with no inventory or cash from CANADA. And no disrespect to those guys, but I don't think either of them have bought or sold a million dollar comic either, though possibly have helped facilitate such transactions. So to go through a purely comic avenue to get there seems extremely unlikely.

Hell, even becoming a successful actor or musician seems like a more likely path to a million dollar comic than a pure comic investment path.

I have been off the boards for a couple of years and I return to find this thread still going strong. I was thinking it must be a successful venture but after perusing through a bit, I see it is basically where it was when I left.

The success here is the thread itself and don't be too hard Gabriel, he doesn't have time to be dealer, since he spends his time posting and responding to posts. Well at least no need for me to go back and read two years of posts, nothing new here.

Now if you can do that type of transaction 200 times per year......you will still be considered under the poverty level :tonofbricks: .

Not necessarily, just illustrating a point, that even if you pulled off 4 of these $50-$60 profit flips per week, you earned $5.90 per hour. Not even minimum wage.

That's true but this isn't my job right now it's something I'm doing on the side with the hopes of it becoming an eventual job.

Again why not focus on getting a *real* job? How many jobs have you actually applied for in the last 60 days? Of those jobs, how many did you do any follow up with? Around the holidays, many employers are/were looking for extra staff. Did you look into any of that? Did your current employer offer you any additional hours?

In the last 60 days how many hours have you spent researching "real jobs" you think you may like to do and what education/skills you would need?

That's great that you made a $50 profit on a sale of a book, even with that Animosity book, good for you but can you LIVE on that? Did those sales in any shape or form improve your standard of living? No. You are still earning at the bottom 20% of Canadians for an unattached individual. Your situation would be even more dire if you were not living with your parents.

To not work that additional 20 hours per week at minimum wage, you would have to be able to to do "deals" like that about 200 - 250 times a year to rank in the bottom percent of the lower-middle class for an unattached individual (about $23,000 per year). To earn a lower-middle wage for an unattached individual purely by selling comics, you would need to sell 460 per year at an average of $50 profit.

To make, say $30,000 per year (a decent unattached individual middle-middle income range for Canada) you would have to sell 600 books at at an average profit of $50. To make $35,000 per year, you would have to sell 700 books per year with an average profit of $50.

Realistically, can you sell 460, 600 or 700 books per year and average a $50 profit per book to have a decent standard of living? Does this seem likely to turn into a job where you can fully support yourself? There is hope and then there is false hope. Gabe, your "hope" for this to turn into an eventual job or means to fully support yourself is definitely the latter. Again, if not for your parents, you would be living in poverty.

"False hope can lead to intemperate choices and flawed decision making. True hope takes into account the real threats that exist and seeks to navigate the best path around them."

The "real threat" to you if you continue down this path is that you will continue to live with your parents and live at or below the poverty line with zero resources, other than government assistance. Your station in life won't be improved. Finding a good job will only get harder and harder the longer you wait and put it off.

How many jobs have I applied for in the last 60 days? None. As for who I followed up with none of them didn't contact me so I didn't bother. I see you mention making 30,000 is the average a person makes on the lower end but to be honest 20,000 would be ok as well.

No sell up to 700 comics a year doesn't seem something realistic to me yet and like I said this is something that I'm doing on the side so right now I'm learning to make a profit on these comics and so far I'm satisfied with my progress.

I don't have false hope I would like to turn this into a job if I can and I've been happy with how the last comics have played out which is a good sign, I haven't bought anything and I've also made budgets and followed them with the exception I made which is if I have comic book money I buy comic books, if I don't then I buy nothing.

Agreed

Wouldn't it be easier for him to sell a $1,000,000 comic and take like $250,000 profit? Seems like less work.

Yes it would be easier to do that but it's not like I can get a million dollar loan so I need to work up to something like that.

I appreciate that as well but for now my goals with comics are simple.

I have been off the boards for a couple of years and I return to find this thread still going strong. I was thinking it must be a successful venture but after perusing through a bit, I see it is basically where it was when I left.

The success here is the thread itself and don't be too hard Gabriel, he doesn't have time to be dealer, since he spends his time posting and responding to posts. Well at least no need for me to go back and read two years of posts, nothing new here.

I have learned a few things since you were last here if you've noticed.

How many jobs have I applied for in the last 60 days? None. As for who I followed up with none of them didn't contact me so I didn't bother.they are not obligated to keep you informed,you have to keep following up constantly. I see you mention making 30,000 is the average a person makes on the lower end but to be honest 20,000 would be ok as well.

20-30K a year is not a good living, it's barely keeping you in Cup O Noodles.

No sell up to 700 comics a year doesn't seem something realistic to me yet and like I said this is something that I'm doing on the side so right now I'm learning to make a profit on these comics and so far I'm satisfied with my progress.

I don't have false hope I would like to turn this into a job if I can and I've been happy with how the last comics have played out which is a good sign, I haven't bought anything and I've also made budgets and followed them with the exception I made which is if I have comic book money I buy comic books, if I don't then I buy nothing.

Wouldn't it be easier for him to sell a $1,000,000 comic and take like $250,000 profit? Seems like less work.

Yes it would be easier to do that but it's not like I can get a million dollar loan so I need to work up to something like that.

I'm not sure you qualify for a $500 loan, even a loan shark would walk away from you.

So if the goal is to buy and sell a million dollar comic why not get a job save up a million dollars , buy the comic and then sell it?

If you are trying to make a million dollars selling comics...well the last few posts should measure out the math on that and as for the number of people who have made millions on comics the odds of that are as good as winning the lotto if you ask me.

Do you think that comic book collecting is some sort of cash cow?

I'm not sure you qualify for a $500 loan, even a loan shark would walk away from you.

I have no idea as I never tried to get a loan other then my student loan.

8 8