• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I did read what you said and that's the direct reason for my posts.  I don't care what you paid, it has no bearing on what you can sell the books for.  What a buyer is willing to pay for a book is what's important.

Actually, I didn't agree with the price that he set and wanted half of that which he agreed to so I'm the one that decided what I wanted

800 OBO

Ironically, it appears you found someone who set a ridiculous price and you fell for it.  I can see where you learned your new marketing strategy.  

I didn't fall for it because I'm happy with what I paid

2 hours ago, 50AE_DE said:

:news:  I think it's called common sense.

My common sense was buy low, sell high to make a profit and I'm happy for the idea as it will improve my bottom line :)

2 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

My common sense was buy low, sell high to make a profit and I'm happy for the idea as it will improve my bottom line :)

Yeah, but did you actually "buy low"? How about you give us a hint? Wouldn't THAT be a fun game???

Multiple Choice Gabe. Choose the truthful answer.

1.  Gabe paid for the Invincible Lot In:

A) USD funds

B) CDN funds

2.  Gabe paid the following price range for the Invincible Lot:

A) $0 - $100

B) $101 - $200

C) $201 - $300

D) $301 - $400

E) More than $400

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Yeah, but did you actually "buy low"? How about you give us a hint? Wouldn't THAT be a fun game???

Multiple Choice Gabe. Choose the truthful answer.

1.  Gabe paid for the Invincible Lot In:

A) USD funds

B) CDN funds

2.  Gabe paid the following price range for the Invincible Lot:

A) $0 - $100

B) $101 - $200

C) $201 - $300

D) $301 - $400

E) More than $400

Why do you want to know so badly? If you're really interested I can pm you

13 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

This would be ideal, but you can't have that going into every deal.  If you're trying to become a credible seller, inflating your prices is not going to convince people you can be trusted or know what you're doing.  You need to win over your buyers and if that means you give up a good deal then do it.  So many thread talk about building a relationship between the seller and buyer, but you seem to be so focused on trying to increase your profit that you're willing to sacrifice any potential future business for a few more bucks.

This would be ideal, but you can't have that going into every deal.  If you're trying to become a credible seller, inflating your prices is not going to convince people you can be trusted or know what you're doing.  You need to win over your buyers and if that means you give up a good deal then do it.  So many thread talk about building a relationship between the seller and buyer, but you seem to be so focused on trying to increase your profit that you're willing to sacrifice any potential future business for a few more bucks.

Is that really how you see me as? I'm willing to work with people to make a deal but I need to profit that's as simple as it gets with me.

Is that really how you see me as? I'm willing to work with people to make a deal but I need to profit that's as simple as it gets with me.

It doesn't matter how I see you, but rather your potential customers.  As another poster stated, you'll have customers bypass your auctions completely if they feel you are over-priced on your books regardless of what "cool" books you have.  There is one seller I don't even bother looking at since I know his prices are crazy high.  You could be potentially losing customers because of the same reason.  Your customers won't know you're willing to work with them to make a deal if they're not even going to look at your book.  

It doesn't matter how I see you, but rather your potential customers.  As another poster stated, you'll have customers bypass your auctions completely if they feel you are over-priced on your books regardless of what "cool" books you have.  There is one seller I don't even bother looking at since I know his prices are crazy high.  You could be potentially losing customers because of the same reason.  Your customers won't know you're willing to work with them to make a deal if they're not even going to look at your book.  

But won't having the OBO make people want to look and make an offer? Because it's already telling people that the price I have isn't the one I'm selling for 

54 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

I never thought of it like that I was always making sure I got a good price so that  I could make a profit but I never added fees in addition to that and I appreciate the idea because I learned something new.

Wait - so for the past three years you have NOT been taking your potential selling-fees into account when deciding on your purchase price of big $ books you bought for resale!??? :whatthe:

Edited by jcjames

Just now, uchiha101 said:

But won't having the OBO make people want to look and make an offer? Because it's already telling people that the price I have isn't the one I'm selling for 

If the asking price is within reason then I think it'll get some offers, but when the asking price is double the price of other lots then no.

If the asking price is within reason then I think it'll get some offers, but when the asking price is double the price of other lots then no.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Wait - so for the past three years you have NOT been taking your potential selling-fees into account when deciding on your purchase price of big $ books you bought for resale!??? :whatthe:

That's correct I only took away the fees when I was calculating what I bought it for and sold it for

That's correct I only took away the fees when I was calculating what I bought it for and sold it for

Well at least you got that piece of the puzzle in place now!

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Well at least you got that piece of the puzzle in place now!

It's odd to think that it's been three years yet this thought never crossed my mind and how much of a difference do you think it will make?

Just now, uchiha101 said:
6 minutes ago, Red84 said:

10-15%

Added to my bottom line each time? That's amazing :) thanks again for this idea

Well, not really.  But it will shift the fees to an initial cost from an unexpected cost later on.

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

Well, not really.  But it will shift the fees to an initial cost from an unexpected cost later on.

Fair enough either way it's a great idea

8 8