• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

A buyer doesn't care about your fees.  The fees do not change what the book is worth.  The fees are the cost of doing business on eBay which allows you to sell to millions of people.  The fees are just part of your costs and they reduce your profit.  

I know but whether or not they care it affects my bottom line so in order to avoid that I just add the fees to my price of what I'm looking for 

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

A buyer doesn't care about your fees.  The fees do not change what the book is worth.  The fees are the cost of doing business on eBay which allows you to sell to millions of people.  The fees are just part of your costs and they reduce your profit.  This is why it's important to get a good price when you buy books to re-sell because the fees and time all add up.

I agree with this post :)

Just now, uchiha101 said:
1 minute ago, Red84 said:

A buyer doesn't care about your fees.  The fees do not change what the book is worth.  The fees are the cost of doing business on eBay which allows you to sell to millions of people.  The fees are just part of your costs and they reduce your profit.  

I know but whether or not they care it affects my bottom line so in order to avoid that I just add the fees to my price of what I'm looking for 

That's not how it works.  You have to think about those fees when you're buying the book you are going to re-sell later.  That's why it's important to get books for a good price if you are planning to sell them later.  Those are called margins.  You need to have meat on the bone so that when the fees come later the bone isn't picked entirely clean.

26 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

That's the thing I value these comics at 400-450 and you're taking the fun out of things. And maybe we don't agree but even low print things can become flooded on ebay and sold cheaply is what I've been saying. As for my outrageous price it's just a test.

I think the only person who agree with your pricing is the person who sold the books to you.

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

That's not how it works.  You have to think about those fees when you're buying the book you are going to re-sell later.  That's why it's important to get books for a good price if you are planning to sell them later.  Those are called margins.  You need to have meat on the bone so that when the fees come later the bone isn't picked entirely clean.

I never thought of it like that I was always making sure I got a good price so that  I could make a profit but I never added fees in addition to that and I appreciate the idea because I learned something new.

2 hours ago, 50AE_DE said:

I think the only person who agree with your pricing is the person who sold the books to you.

Actually, I didn't agree with the price that he set and wanted half of that which he agreed to so I'm the one that decided what I wanted

You're making a bigger deal out of this than is needed and you're gonna block me for testing things? I suggest you read my above posts unless you're just responding to what's convenient to you  

Trust me, I've read all your posts.  I can't respond to all of them, I'd go crazy.  I've gone from gently supporting you, to disbelief, and now finally to distrust.

When I see a seller at a show or online setting ridiculous prices designed to find a sucker or push prices I avoid.  There's a local dealer who bought a large SA collection.  I was interested in his low grade Fantastic Four #5 to replace a copy I'd sold.  A glance at his $5k sticker price, and a quick glance to grade the book lower than 2.0 told me all I needed to know.  Avoid at all costs.

You know what these books are worth.  We've shown you links suggesting a rough fair value of $300.  You've said you'll list the books at $800 and you think you can get $400 to $450.  Call it whatever you want, testing things means setting a super high price hoping to push the price beyond current market.  It's not illegal, many sellers do it but yes, I'm swimming out of your buyer's pool.  

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Trust me, I've read all your posts.  I can't respond to all of them, I'd go crazy.  I've gone from gently supporting you, to disbelief, and now finally to distrust.

When I see a seller at a show or online setting ridiculous prices designed to find a sucker or push prices I avoid.  There's a local dealer who bought a large SA collection.  I was interested in his low grade Fantastic Four #5 to replace a copy I'd sold.  A glance at his $5k sticker price, and a quick glance to grade the book lower than 2.0 told me all I needed to know.  Avoid at all costs.

You know what these books are worth.  We've shown you links suggesting a rough fair value of $300.  You've said you'll list the books at $800 and you think you can get $400 to $450.  Call it whatever you want, testing things means setting a super high price hoping to push the price beyond current market.  It's not illegal, many sellers do it but yes, I'm swimming out of your buyer's pool.  

That's fine you can do as you please and you keep touting how bad it is yet if you've read what I said you wouldn't say what you did. Like I said you have no clue what I did or didn't pay yet you're telling me what I should sell for?

That's fine you can do as you please and you keep touting how bad it is yet if you've read what I said you wouldn't say what you did. Like I said you have no clue what I did or didn't pay yet you're telling me what I should sell for?

We just went over this. What you paid does not change what the books are worth. Whether you paid $1000 or got them for free.  The books are worth what they are worth based on the market.

2 hours ago, 50AE_DE said:

$800 is what he was looking for the books he sold you?

Oh no that's what I'm gonna be setting the price at and if I revealed the number you would be able to tell how much I paid for the lot

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

We just went over this. What you paid does not change what the books are worth. Whether you paid $1000 or got them for free.  The books are worth what they are worth based on the market.

I'm aware of that I was just making a point

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

It's awesome that after all of this discussion you are staying with the $800 obo price that everyone has told you is absurd.

Don't think that what you said is going unnoticed after all you taught me a new way of calculating and negotiating comics. Regarding my price point, it's a test so I'll have to figure out what exactly I need out of it and I need to have the comics arrive and see what condition they'll be in.

1 minute ago, uchiha101 said:

I did read what you said and that's the direct reason for my posts.  I don't care what you paid, it has no bearing on what you can sell the books for.  What a buyer is willing to pay for a book is what's important.

Actually, I didn't agree with the price that he set and wanted half of that which he agreed to so I'm the one that decided what I wanted

800 OBO

Ironically, it appears you found someone who set a ridiculous price and you fell for it.  I can see where you learned your new marketing strategy.  

2 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Don't think that what you said is going unnoticed after all you taught me a new way of calculating and negotiating comics. Regarding my price point, it's a test so I'll have to figure out what exactly I need out of it and I need to have the comics arrive and see what condition they'll be in.

:news:  I think it's called common sense.

8 8