• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I've been reading this thread all morning. Not to be mean but uchiha101, there is so much fail in here. I'm new to the comic world and I even know you are in over your head and should sell everything and give up on this pipe dream. So many knowledgable people helping you, giving you advice people would pay for and you ignore it and don't change your ways. I see no hope in you succeeding, unfortunately.

What do you consider my pipe dream? It's true I've been failing a lot mostly with overpaying, making the same mistakes and trades. I'm not going to give up and in any case I need to sell what I have either way.

And again, after a gazillion posts, multiple offers of great advice and help, the basic point is being missed by a million miles - quit taking the out of the benefit system by doing $1000+ comic 'trades' and....

Get.A.Bloody.Job.

I am flat out going to call BS on the claim that even with a minimal effort of 2 hours a week looking, you cannot find a job washing cars, clearing tables or flipping burgers.

You either are economical with the truth about trying or have something very,very bad on record somewhere.

You live in a modern affluent country, with every resource available to you for free - case worker being a great example.

Instead of posting on here - go pound the streets, walk into a factory, burger joint or Walmart and ask to speak to the manager.

Offer to work for free for a fortnight on trial (you are on welfare - no loss) and if you do it right, you get a job.

Question for you.

When did you last hold down a job?

Full time work for 3 months.

Genuine question.

Well it's the truth and yes I've been putting in at least 2 hours a week looking. I've been fired from three jobs since you asked what I did that was so wrong. I'm not liking the fact that just because you say it's a modern affluent country makes it a cake walk in fact there are more people applying for the same jobs I am especially since it's minimum wage. I'll ask about the pawn shops or comics shops if I can work for free for one night. I last held down a job about a year ago as I've worked over 1000 I was eligible for unemployment and I saved up about 6k since I live under my budget.

Today's thoughts

I'll bump my asm 300 as I've gotten interest in it

I'll stop trades till 2017

I need to get my money back from that trade it's bugging me

Trades update

I will not do trades till 2017, I repeat no trading for me till 2017!!!

Edited by uchiha101

I've been reading this thread all morning. Not to be mean but uchiha101, there is so much fail in here. I'm new to the comic world and I even know you are in over your head and should sell everything and give up on this pipe dream. So many knowledgable people helping you, giving you advice people would pay for and you ignore it and don't change your ways. I see no hope in you succeeding, unfortunately.

What do you consider my pipe dream? It's true I've been failing a lot mostly with overpaying, making the same mistakes and trades. I'm not going to give up and in any case I need to sell what I have either way.

The dream is to sell a million dollar comic. It doesn't look like it will be achievable with you. Not because you can't eventually learn to flip correctly, but because of your current life situations. It seems like it would be best to quick sell all the books you have now, take the loss, and move on. Trying to achieve this dream isn't possible with your finances in the shape they are in. Sell what you have, focus on getting a job and changing your life first. Then maybe you can start this goal again a few years down the road.

The dream is to sell a million dollar comic. It doesn't look like it will be achievable with you. Not because you can't eventually learn to flip correctly, but because of your current life situations. It seems like it would be best to quick sell all the books you have now, take the loss, and move on. Trying to achieve this dream isn't possible with your finances in the shape they are in. Sell what you have, focus on getting a job and changing your life first. Then maybe you can start this goal again a few years down the road.

Ah ok I see what you mean I do have the million dollar comic dream but I know this won't happen overnight this is more a lifetime goal or 20, 30, 40 year goal. Currently I'm selling the comics I have, getting a job and taking a break from buying comics.

Ah ok I see what you mean I do have the million dollar comic dream but I know this won't happen overnight this is more a lifetime goal or 20, 30, 40 year goal. Currently I'm selling the comics I have, getting a job and taking a break from buying comics.

That is the best thing you could do for yourself right now. Get yourself on some stable ground and try this again in a few years when you have better resources for it!

That is the best thing you could do for yourself right now. Get yourself on some stable ground and try this again in a few years when you have better resources for it!

I can't say how long it will take me to become stable but I do know I need to do it to sell comics I'll try consignments next and see what works better.

Well it's the truth and yes I've been putting in at least 2 hours a week looking.

I'll be blunt because I want you to succeed.

2 hours a week?

NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH. :sumo: Not by a long shot.

Ask anyone who gets laid off unexpectedly but is determined to find a way to put food on the family table. I found myself in that situation during the economic downturn of 2008.

If you're unemployed and looking for employment, looking for a job IS your job! That means put in the same number of hours you're expecting to work each week until you get that job. That means if you want a full-time job, you need to put in 40 hours per week that are dedicated to getting said job.

At the beginning, that means taking a day and really polishing up your resume. It doesn't matter what job you're applying for...have a resume ready. Find examples online. Format it correctly (there are a million different formats, pick what you like the most). For the love of everything, spell check it! Most employers will trash any resume if they see a typo. If you can't be bothered to pay attention to the details on a document this important, why bother hiring you?

Once your resume is done and you've had it reviewed by friends/parents/case workers, it's time to upload it to any number of job seeking sites out there. Create a profile and upload your resume so employers can look for your when you're not actively looking for them.

Make sure the outgoing message on your phone is professional. If you don't have an e-mail account that is just your.name@domain.com, get one. Don't use comicguru69@spaz.com (made up) on any official communication.

Once that's done, hit up websites of any establishments in your area you'd like to apply to. Most of them have a "careers" link that tells you how to apply. Some have you upload a resume (which you have ready...pdf that bad boy), some have you fill out a unique profile. Get it done and again, spell check EVERYTHING!

Go to all the sites you can think of and keep applying. This will likely take some time, but it's possible that you'll start getting calls before you're done. If you get a call and you don't know the number, answer it with a voice that assumes that your next potential boss is on the other line. Confidence is big.

If you think you've exhausted all the sites, start calling some of the places where you've put in applications. Call and say "My name is Gabriel. I put in an application online and I'm hoping to speak with the hiring manager". If they are there, see if you can set up an interview. If they aren't there, ask if you can schedule a time to come in and talk to him/her.

If you do all this, you should be slingin' Timbits at Tim Horton's in no time flat.

If you challenged me to get a job but I was only allowed to put in 2 hours of effort a week, I could probably do it, but it'd be a bit of a challenge.

40 hours a week! Get going!

Gabe,

STOP TRADING.

STOP CONSIGNMENTS.

SELL OFF WHAT YOU HAVE (that is not part of your personal collection) and most importantly,

GET OUT OF THE COMIC BOOK "BUSINESS" - This is NOT for you at this time.

After reading about this "at least two hours a week" looking for work, you need to change this. As Peter Palmer said, looking for work IS a FULL TIME JOB.

What the hell are you doing with your time???

I don't know man, the more I read, the less inclined I (and others) are to offer advice and help, especially because so much of it is ignored. Goodwill is rapidly eroding.

Change this thread to "MY ROAD TO SUCCESS - FINDING A JOB" and actually start implementing what your case worker is telling you and seriously LISTEN and ACT on the good advice you are given.

That is all. I'm out. Good luck.

If Gabe okays it, then I have no problem including you in a three-way trade, Wall-Crawler. We can meet somewhere in the middle of our Ontario triangle, thus eliminating the shipping costs.

Wait? What? How the hell am I getting roped into this? Want nothing to do with it...

It was just a joke on his part.

This thread is like the Jelly of the Month Club--it just keeps on giving. As far as your job search, you have been given some excellent advice so for Gods sake, TAKE IT! You say you've been fired from your last 3 jobs, what was the reason? A lot of people have been fired from a job, it happens. However, most people realize what they did that resulted in getting fired and modified their behavior so it didn't happen again. You need to figure out the reason you got fired and fix the problem, otherwise you're just heading down the same road, and you already know what the results of that are. I agree with the other posters who said that unless you have something in your background that is extremely bad, you are not trying hard enough. The amount of time you spend on these boards alone is proof of that. I think that most of us here want you to succeed, but the goodwill that most of us have for you is rapidly eroding.

Consignments only really work if you can offer a customer base the consignor can't reach. have you established that base?

No I haven't reached that base but I can always start locally as people don't really have too many options here.

This thread is like the Jelly of the Month Club--it just keeps on giving. As far as your job search, you have been given some excellent advice so for Gods sake, TAKE IT! You say you've been fired from your last 3 jobs, what was the reason? A lot of people have been fired from a job, it happens. However, most people realize what they did that resulted in getting fired and modified their behavior so it didn't happen again. You need to figure out the reason you got fired and fix the problem, otherwise you're just heading down the same road, and you already know what the results of that are. I agree with the other posters who said that unless you have something in your background that is extremely bad, you are not trying hard enough. The amount of time you spend on these boards alone is proof of that. I think that most of us here want you to succeed, but the goodwill that most of us have for you is rapidly eroding.

Job 1: The boss was a con artist

Job 2: She fired two random people a month she got investigated and lost her business and franchise rights.

Job 3: They asked me to lift things I wasn't comfortable lifting so I got fired.

My behavior is good until you me off as I have many types of personalities that clash against mine. I don't believe I spend that much time on the boards I used to spend a lot more here even when I had a job but you're right I could be doing more. At the same time for someone who has low self-confidence it's not exactly the best thing to see myself get rejected from so many jobs yet people who I don't think qualify get the jobs. I don't think what any of you say for granted I do come back and read this if I get stuck on something.

http://ca.indeed.com/jobs-in-Niagara-Falls,-ON

Currently 2181 jobs being advertised in Niagra Falls, including Night Stacker, Cleaner, Fast-Food.

Those 3 are all entry level.

Seems pretty easy to find an entry level job if you actually want one.

My behavior is good until you me off as I have many types of personalities that clash against mine.

When you are working in entry level jobs, you shouldn't have a personality. You don't like something, just suck it up.

If Gabe okays it, then I have no problem including you in a three-way trade, Wall-Crawler. We can meet somewhere in the middle of our Ontario triangle, thus eliminating the shipping costs.

No no no no no - Gabe needs to learn how to get better at estimating FMV - he should not be trading - please -

I don't understand where I went wrong I checked out ebay's sold listing like you told me and I gave you my answer as what I see the FMV of my jla #1 being.

Hey - was just trying to appeal to someone to not temp you with a trade. The idea was for you to post your process. Noting wrong - just did not really want

With estimating - I am trying to help you get a handle on FMV. By going through the thought process - at a bare minimum people can help correct or teach you a better method.

FMV - fair market value is really hard to figure with comics sometimes. Different venues - have different sale prices and different cost structures for a profit - but individual fair market value is what someone is willing to pay. It is from the BUYERS point of view - when setting this in a deal - remember that.

Gauging FMV.. Adjust later. Think only about what the book will sell for - do not adjust for shipping unless the reference is unreasonable.

You stated that you used ebay SOLD listings. Not a bad place when paired with GPA. Easy to search. Have to really go and look at the books too (because of "ebay grading").

For the JLA 1 - not a lot of data anywhere. One way higher price with repro cover - one lower price. Your FMV range may be decent - for a graded copy that does not look like it has as ton of tape.

The scoobies? where did you get $3? I see the lower singles around 5 with a high range ~ 10.

Only thing I can think of - is that you are adjusting for volume. Go through the math individually first - THEN adjust. Based on what you stared - you valued the scoobies at 90 vs one book of 100+. You would lose on that trade.

I would look at the lower FMV values - you had 100 vs 20 of the scoobies.

BUT - the adjustment - that many of one book is TOUGH to move quickly and requires a lot of effort. This is where you adjust. Me - I would not make any deal for that many books what will have to move at 5 each to get any of the significant FMV back quickly. If I valued the single at 100 - I would need at least 50 of the books. This has a LOT do to with the volume of the book- and that it is a more common modern.

A much better question - if you have a FMV of 100-150 on the JLA - why in the world do you have it priced at 250 (and this is after lowering it) ----

if you want to be patient and maybe get lucky - great - if you are looking to move - pricing it that far over FMV..... well it does not work.

If you train yourself to make better BUYING decisions - then a lot of he losses turn into gains.

My behavior is good until you me off as I have many types of personalities that clash against mine.

When you are working in entry level jobs, you shouldn't have a personality. You don't like something, just suck it up.

I don't like that mentality I know a job like that isn't fun but I don't want to dread it either.

No no no no no - Gabe needs to learn how to get better at estimating FMV - he should not be trading - please -

I don't understand where I went wrong I checked out ebay's sold listing like you told me and I gave you my answer as what I see the FMV of my jla #1 being.

Hey - was just trying to appeal to someone to not temp you with a trade. The idea was for you to post your process. Noting wrong - just did not really want

With estimating - I am trying to help you get a handle on FMV. By going through the thought process - at a bare minimum people can help correct or teach you a better method.

FMV - fair market value is really hard to figure with comics sometimes. Different venues - have different sale prices and different cost structures for a profit - but individual fair market value is what someone is willing to pay. It is from the BUYERS point of view - when setting this in a deal - remember that.

Gauging FMV.. Adjust later. Think only about what the book will sell for - do not adjust for shipping unless the reference is unreasonable.

You stated that you used ebay SOLD listings. Not a bad place when paired with GPA. Easy to search. Have to really go and look at the books too (because of "ebay grading").

For the JLA 1 - not a lot of data anywhere. One way higher price with repro cover - one lower price. Your FMV range may be decent - for a graded copy that does not look like it has as ton of tape.

The scoobies? where did you get $3? I see the lower singles around 5 with a high range ~ 10.

Only thing I can think of - is that you are adjusting for volume. Go through the math individually first - THEN adjust. Based on what you stared - you valued the scoobies at 90 vs one book of 100+. You would lose on that trade.

I would look at the lower FMV values - you had 100 vs 20 of the scoobies.

BUT - the adjustment - that many of one book is TOUGH to move quickly and requires a lot of effort. This is where you adjust. Me - I would not make any deal for that many books what will have to move at 5 each to get any of the significant FMV back quickly. If I valued the single at 100 - I would need at least 50 of the books. This has a LOT do to with the volume of the book- and that it is a more common modern.

A much better question - if you have a FMV of 100-150 on the JLA - why in the world do you have it priced at 250 (and this is after lowering it) ----

if you want to be patient and maybe get lucky - great - if you are looking to move - pricing it that far over FMV..... well it does not work.

If you train yourself to make better BUYING decisions - then a lot of he losses turn into gains.

I have to change my way of thinking regarding fmv, how I trade, and buying decisions. I priced the jla #1 at 250 because after fees I'll be selling it for exactly what I paid for it.

8 8