• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

The trade of my IG #1 9.8 X5 and 9.6 x2 and avengers 57 5.0/5.5 and 58 at 7.0/7.5

I valued at 800

In exchange for his HOS #92 CGC 7.0 and NM 98 8.5/9.0

at the time was worth

$850-1000

Reasons for wanting to trade.

Not taking a loss

Trading for more liquid books to get cashflow

less fees

so -- not bad eval in places - I have to start with the things you need to consider more when evaluating any lot---- you have a couple of the intangibles listed -

Not taking a loss--- this is NOT a reason for a trade. If you are as good an evaluator as the other guy you will average break even - minus shipping over the long term.

Trading for more liquid books to get cashflow - not a bad thought and you are trading a larger quantity for a smaller quantity - but the IG #1s - have been movers and if you started selling a few more than 3 months ago (like listing 1 of the 9.8 and 1 9.6 at a time back when you acquired them) - you would have made more $$$. The IG - and the NM98 --- (per GPA sales) - are moving around the same clip. The HOS - very limited sales. Avengers 57 volume is a bit better. Again - per GPA which is limited in what it tracks - but is solid with datapoints for specific grades.

less fees - this is not an issue in a trade - only when you sell. You did pay for shipping 7 slabs - so there is a trading "fee" regardless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my analysis based on today's pricing - all non graded books were evaluated at the lower grade you stated to be consistent. I priced using GPA to set a target - then evaluating SOLD listings on ebay that were under the slabbed costs - but would at (ebay photo) inspection be at the grades listed. SO - a discount to GPA - using ebay as a reference.

IG 1s - valued base on a slight discount to 90 day GPA - this represents the fact that in come cases - the "voldemort" slabs do sell at a discount to gpa. GPA also had 30+ sales for each over last 90 days.

5 x 9.8 slabbed at 105 - $525

2 x 9.6 slabbed at 5

notes - downward trend over the past 3 months. May get some back as movies progress but not likely to hit highs soon.

Avengers 57 5.0 $175

Notes - downward trend - likely past movie letdown stage and may be level for a while.

Avengers 58 7.0 $ 60

not a book to slab - hard to evaluate but found a couple ebay sales at this price

total of 860

the other side -

HOS 92 CGC 7.0 - 475

notes - not a lot of sales points and the last 2 (90 day) skew significantly upward. estimated at higher than 12month - but lower than 90 day.

NM98 8.5 - 245

very popular book - many copies available - very good possibility of finding a 8.5 at lower (and higher) price point. May be overvalued at this point - and if movie is poor- book will bomb as it is more common than many others at this price. Might have only slight upside if a runaway hit as soo many copies are being brought to market (

total - 720

You need to go into at least this level of detail when you analyze. I have no idea how you valued the other guys books - even if you bump the HOS to the max sale - you jump to 785 total and still have a loss in equity. Add in a bump to a 9.0 NM 98 - you are still behind - and both of those bumps are not consistent whit the other books eval.

The only element that you did not mention - trading away 7 of one book - I would expect to HAVE to discount this a little bit. This is bulk - and for a seller - to hit that expected FMV - in all likelyhood they will have to take more time to sell and space things out - so effort and time added in there to sell those.

So - two really different evaluations for the same deal. I really do not trade - but I would potentially have made the trade in the other direction - especially considering the shipping costs for 2 books and the upside on the IG books - if they even pop 5-10 each as the movies progress or if one of the upcoming ones before the avengers one - really pops the gauntlet back.

It is not the worst deal - but you did not get the better of the other guy. Make sure to check and double check SOLD prices when estimating purchases and sales.

Tell me about this 300 hm

pssst - gabriel ----- this is a MUCH more reputable guy to contact than any facebook site for a quick sale......

--- was pulled form ebay so from memory -

ASM 300 CGC 9.2 - Sgnt series/Signed by Lee/McFarlane/Michelinie

Tell me about this 300 hm

pssst - gabriel ----- this is a MUCH more reputable guy to contact than any facebook site for a quick sale......

--- was pulled form ebay so from memory -

ASM 300 CGC 9.2 - Sgnt series/Signed by Lee/McFarlane/Michelinie

That would be the one and I've spoken with KPR a few times so I know he likes things done quickly.

The trade of my IG #1 9.8 X5 and 9.6 x2 and avengers 57 5.0/5.5 and 58 at 7.0/7.5

I valued at 800

In exchange for his HOS #92 CGC 7.0 and NM 98 8.5/9.0

at the time was worth

$850-1000

Reasons for wanting to trade.

Not taking a loss

Trading for more liquid books to get cashflow

less fees

so -- not bad eval in places - I have to start with the things you need to consider more when evaluating any lot---- you have a couple of the intangibles listed -

Not taking a loss--- this is NOT a reason for a trade. If you are as good an evaluator as the other guy you will average break even - minus shipping over the long term.

Trading for more liquid books to get cashflow - not a bad thought and you are trading a larger quantity for a smaller quantity - but the IG #1s - have been movers and if you started selling a few more than 3 months ago (like listing 1 of the 9.8 and 1 9.6 at a time back when you acquired them) - you would have made more $$$. The IG - and the NM98 --- (per GPA sales) - are moving around the same clip. The HOS - very limited sales. Avengers 57 volume is a bit better. Again - per GPA which is limited in what it tracks - but is solid with datapoints for specific grades.

less fees - this is not an issue in a trade - only when you sell. You did pay for shipping 7 slabs - so there is a trading "fee" regardless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my analysis based on today's pricing - all non graded books were evaluated at the lower grade you stated to be consistent. I priced using GPA to set a target - then evaluating SOLD listings on ebay that were under the slabbed costs - but would at (ebay photo) inspection be at the grades listed. SO - a discount to GPA - using ebay as a reference.

IG 1s - valued base on a slight discount to 90 day GPA - this represents the fact that in come cases - the "voldemort" slabs do sell at a discount to gpa. GPA also had 30+ sales for each over last 90 days.

5 x 9.8 slabbed at 105 - $525

2 x 9.6 slabbed at 5

notes - downward trend over the past 3 months. May get some back as movies progress but not likely to hit highs soon.

Avengers 57 5.0 $175

Notes - downward trend - likely past movie letdown stage and may be level for a while.

Avengers 58 7.0 $ 60

not a book to slab - hard to evaluate but found a couple ebay sales at this price

total of 860

the other side -

HOS 92 CGC 7.0 - 475

notes - not a lot of sales points and the last 2 (90 day) skew significantly upward. estimated at higher than 12month - but lower than 90 day.

NM98 8.5 - 245

very popular book - many copies available - very good possibility of finding a 8.5 at lower (and higher) price point. May be overvalued at this point - and if movie is poor- book will bomb as it is more common than many others at this price. Might have only slight upside if a runaway hit as soo many copies are being brought to market (

total - 720

You need to go into at least this level of detail when you analyze. I have no idea how you valued the other guys books - even if you bump the HOS to the max sale - you jump to 785 total and still have a loss in equity. Add in a bump to a 9.0 NM 98 - you are still behind - and both of those bumps are not consistent whit the other books eval.

The only element that you did not mention - trading away 7 of one book - I would expect to HAVE to discount this a little bit. This is bulk - and for a seller - to hit that expected FMV - in all likelyhood they will have to take more time to sell and space things out - so effort and time added in there to sell those.

So - two really different evaluations for the same deal. I really do not trade - but I would potentially have made the trade in the other direction - especially considering the shipping costs for 2 books and the upside on the IG books - if they even pop 5-10 each as the movies progress or if one of the upcoming ones before the avengers one - really pops the gauntlet back.

It is not the worst deal - but you did not get the better of the other guy. Make sure to check and double check SOLD prices when estimating purchases and sales.

You're right I do need to take things more into consideration when doing trades but I'll explain what my logic regarding values was with his comics.

I valued his HOS #92 CGC 7.0 at 700 and his NM98 at 250-300 because I believe at the time I was checking sold listings and one HOS sold for 750. I always add the value of my shipping and insurance into the cost of trading but one mistake I've been making for a while is valuing stuff for 100% of fmv instead of less around 60-70%.

Plans

I feel good with that down payment on the ba12 so I'm gonna try selling my asm 300 and it that sells within a week han solo's will be listed too.

just so we're clear, please do not under any circumstances mail the BA12 out until AFTER you get ALL the money, and its all cleared the bank.

Plans

I feel good with that down payment on the ba12 so I'm gonna try selling my asm 300 and it that sells within a week han solo's will be listed too.

just so we're clear, please do not under any circumstances mail the BA12 out until AFTER you get ALL the money, and its all cleared the bank.

I was just going to post this.

And get tracking and signature confirmation.

The payment plan voids buyer protection on paypal, so you should also have that additional protection. I would ask that the buyer include the words "partial payment" each time if you are somewhat unfamiliar with him.

Edited by Bird

Plans

I've made that mistake once it won't happen again.

Plans

I was just going to post this.

And get tracking and signature confirmation.

The payment plan voids buyer protection on paypal, so you should also have that additional protection. I would ask that the buyer include the words "partial payment" each time if you are somewhat unfamiliar with him.

So everytime he makes a payment he makes a note the it's a partial payment or is that a option I can choose? and for signature conformation is that in vase he'd try scam me? I never understood that part.

You're right I do need to take things more into consideration when doing trades but I'll explain what my logic regarding values was with his comics.

I valued his HOS #92 CGC 7.0 at 700 and his NM98 at 250-300 because I believe at the time I was checking sold listings and one HOS sold for 750. I always add the value of my shipping and insurance into the cost of trading but one mistake I've been making for a while is valuing stuff for 100% of fmv instead of less around 60-70%.

HOS - eBay sale? Only 750 sale was an 8.0 - you listed 7.0.

250 - 300 is an ok gpa range for cgc graded nm98 - but isn't this a raw book????

Also - FMV is not the maximum price you see.

Gabe, how many NM copies of Scooby Doo Team-Up #12 would you need in a trade for your NG Justice League #1? I have a lot of copies of Scooby Doo Team-Up #12.

Please no - just make him a fair cash offer via PM if you want the book.

Gabe, how many NM copies of Scooby Doo Team-Up #12 would you need in a trade for your NG Justice League #1? I have a lot of copies of Scooby Doo Team-Up #12.

haha I would need something else that's worth a bit more you can pm me if you'd like.

HOS - eBay sale? Only 750 sale was an 8.0 - you listed 7.0.

250 - 300 is an ok gpa range for cgc graded nm98 - but isn't this a raw book????

Also - FMV is not the maximum price you see.

Yes the ebay sale that must be the one I was thinking of and the NM98 is a raw comic. Yes Rick told me that I don't know why I didn't understand that concept.

haha I would need something else that's worth a bit more you can pm me if you'd like.

:sorry:

:facepalm:

doh!

Sine you are not listening - we can try again with an example -

Place a real FMV on your jla 1

Place a FMV on the scobby team ups

Give a hypothetical good trade quantity of the scoobies - assume an unlimited supply

Do not make a trade!!!!!!!!!

You need to do this exercise (valuing an individual or set of books) over and over and over again until you are ACCURATE enough to not continuously lose value before you are ready to even consider a trade.

Please no - just make him a fair cash offer via PM if you want the book.

I was more interested in recapturing long box space by moving 40-50 copies of Scooby Doo Team-Up #12 than I was in Gabe's book.

8 8