• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

You seem to keep skipping over one very obvious piece of advice everyone is giving you.

Will you state that you will stop all trades? Make it a New Year's resolution. No trades until 2017.

Are you willing to commit to that?

That's where the problem lies if I don't trade I either have to sell for a loss or wait till it reaches a price where I can make a profit on it.

Sell for a loss man. Get cash back and just be sure you're buying books you can profit on with the cash you got back. You can't move forward unless you accept the loss and move on. Everyone loses on something. Being stubborn in this situation is only hurting you further.

Here's my advice:

1) Throw every book up for auction. Start and end it on a Sunday.

2) use that cash and go hit your local stores and buy books that your local shops have priced too low. Not every sale has to be a home run. Go in the local shop, find some books priced at $20-$50 Cdn and see if you can sell them for $20-50 in US dollars. Say for instance you find a DC comics presents 26 for $50 Cdn in your shop. Buying it for $50 in Canadian and selling it for $50 usd will make you - $50usd x 1.40 = $70cdn. You've made $20 on one book by taking advantage of the weak Cdn dollar. Do that a few times over.

... I'm doing what you're doing as in listing on BIN and waiting for those comics to sell unless I need money quicker I'll take a loss on it.

isn't being unemployed and on government support enough conditions to constitute "needing the money quicker"?

Ok. You get to make your own decisions man because it's your life, and you're the one that has to live it. But here's a story that might resonate with you.

I moved to a new country more than a year ago, and spent the whole year job hunting with no luck (not speaking the language severely limited my job opportunities and expat work restrictions meant getting a low paying job was not an option). My family was able to get by month-to-month thanks to my wife's job (which was why we moved here), but after 12 months things got tight and to make ends meet you know what I did?

I sold some of my comics.

Some books I got market value for them (yay!)

Some books I tried to get market value for them, but when I had no takers I dropped my price, and then again, and then again... until someone bit.

So on some books I lost money (vs original paid, or vs what I thought the market value was), but money was what I needed so I went from having zero dollars and a comic book, to having some dollars and no comic book which was a better situation.

Is my situation (no job, sitting on assets, needing $$) the same as yours (no job, currently on government support, sitting on assets)? Well that's for you to decide.

I think you need to be selling those comics.

(notice I did not say trade)

You seem to keep skipping over one very obvious piece of advice everyone is giving you.

Will you state that you will stop all trades? Make it a New Year's resolution. No trades until 2017.

That's where the problem lies if I don't trade I either have to sell for a loss or wait till it reaches a price where I can make a profit on it.

But if you trade, you end up with more comics that still aren't money. And there's at least an even chance that the new ones could be exchanged for less money than the old ones.

So stop trading.

No, really, stop it.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services. Try it, you might even like it. :foryou:

All really solid advice. I strongly urge that you take it. Stop. Trading. :sumo:

You've gotten some really sound advice from people who have been successful in the field of selling comics for a lot of years. If you're going to ignore it because you "don't want to take a loss", please ask yourself this question:

Do I know more about selling comics and making money than the people giving me advice?

I'd be curious to hear your answer. :popcorn:

And besides...even if you execute a trade where the books are equal value but the books you receive are more liquid than the books you send, you still have to eat the shipping cost, which essentially nets you a loss anyway.

ALSO...

I know you said you didn't do well in economics class, but there's a concept you should familiarize yourself with. It's called the Time Value of Money (TVM).

Basically, it states that money today is worth more than the same amount of money at a future date because of the earning potential that today's money has.

To give this principle a for instance, say you have a $100 book that isn't moving. You could sell it quickly for $80 today or hold onto it for 6 months and get the $100 you're looking for. In your eyes, all you see is $20 left on the table if you sell today vs. waiting.

But consider you take that $80 you receive today and (taking the advice given to you here in this thread) bought some less expensive books and sold them for a few dollars profit each. Let's say you're successful and in 6 months, you've sold all the books you bought for $80...only you sold them for a total of $140.

So selling today at $80 gave you the potential to earn $140 in 6 months...$40 more than you would have made if you held onto the book in order to get market value.

Time Value of Money. Please think about it.

Sell for a loss man. Get cash back and just be sure you're buying books you can profit on with the cash you got back. You can't move forward unless you accept the loss and move on. Everyone loses on something. Being stubborn in this situation is only hurting you further.

Here's my advice:

2) use that cash and go hit your local stores and buy books that your local shops have priced too low. Not every sale has to be a home run. Go in the local shop, find some books priced at $20-$50 Cdn and see if you can sell them for $20-50 in US dollars. Say for instance you find a DC comics presents 26 for $50 Cdn in your shop. Buying it for $50 in Canadian and selling it for $50 usd will make you - $50usd x 1.40 = $70cdn. You've made $20 on one book by taking advantage of the weak Cdn dollar. Do that a few times over.

He does not have the skill set (at the moment anyway) to conduct business properly. In that case. he is better off not spending any money and using what he has for essentials, which unsuccessful comic flipping does not fall under. He is playing with the houses money, and right now the house does not have it to lose.

Here's my advice:

I've put up all my biggest comics not all on ebay though but you have a point I should take advantage of the weak dollar as often as I can to recoup what I've lost.

... I'm doing what you're doing as in listing on BIN and waiting for those comics to sell unless I need money quicker I'll take a loss on it.

isn't being unemployed and on government support enough conditions to constitute "needing the money quicker"?

Ok. You get to make your own decisions man because it's your life, and you're the one that has to live it. But here's a story that might resonate with you.

I moved to a new country more than a year ago, and spent the whole year job hunting with no luck (not speaking the language severely limited my job opportunities and expat work restrictions meant getting a low paying job was not an option). My family was able to get by month-to-month thanks to my wife's job (which was why we moved here), but after 12 months things got tight and to make ends meet you know what I did?

I sold some of my comics.

Some books I got market value for them (yay!)

Some books I tried to get market value for them, but when I had no takers I dropped my price, and then again, and then again... until someone bit.

So on some books I lost money (vs original paid, or vs what I thought the market value was), but money was what I needed so I went from having zero dollars and a comic book, to having some dollars and no comic book which was a better situation.

Is my situation (no job, sitting on assets, needing $$) the same as yours (no job, currently on government support, sitting on assets)? Well that's for you to decide.

I think you need to be selling those comics.

(notice I did not say trade)

Thanks I like stories and yes I'm in a similar situation to yours. i did notice you said sell instead of trade.

But if you trade, you end up with more comics that still aren't money. And there's at least an even chance that the new ones could be exchanged for less money than the old ones.

So stop trading.

No, really, stop it.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services. Try it, you might even like it. :foryou:

Haha I know what money can be used for but you have a point unless they are liquid comics.

All really solid advice. I strongly urge that you take it. Stop. Trading. :sumo:

You've gotten some really sound advice from people who have been successful in the field of selling comics for a lot of years. If you're going to ignore it because you "don't want to take a loss", please ask yourself this question:

Do I know more about selling comics and making money than the people giving me advice?

I'd be curious to hear your answer. :popcorn:

And besides...even if you execute a trade where the books are equal value but the books you receive are more liquid than the books you send, you still have to eat the shipping cost, which essentially nets you a loss anyway.

No I don't know more about comics than the people giving me advice here you guys are the best in the world but swallowing loss after loss isn't fun.

ALSO...

I know you said you didn't do well in economics class, but there's a concept you should familiarize yourself with. It's called the Time Value of Money (TVM).

Basically, it states that money today is worth more than the same amount of money at a future date because of the earning potential that today's money has.

To give this principle a for instance, say you have a $100 book that isn't moving. You could sell it quickly for $80 today or hold onto it for 6 months and get the $100 you're looking for. In your eyes, all you see is $20 left on the table if you sell today vs. waiting.

But consider you take that $80 you receive today and (taking the advice given to you here in this thread) bought some less expensive books and sold them for a few dollars profit each. Let's say you're successful and in 6 months, you've sold all the books you bought for $80...only you sold them for a total of $140.

So selling today at $80 gave you the potential to earn $140 in 6 months...$40 more than you would have made if you held onto the book in order to get market value.

I never heard of that concept before but I do know about inflation. I believe someone mentioned this to me before.

ALSO...

I never heard of that concept before but I do know about inflation. I believe someone mentioned this to me before.

Inflation is not the same thing as TVM. Do you understand the concept of TVM? I'd be happy to provide another example if the first isn't clear. Ask questions.

ALSO...

Inflation is not the same thing as TVM. Do you understand the concept of TVM? I'd be happy to provide another example if the first isn't clear. Ask questions.

Yes I'd like another example and what the concept of TVM is thanks.

ALSO...

Its sort of related to inflation.

With inflation, the price of things goes up over time, so $1 doesn't buy you as much today as it did twenty years ago.

The same is true of Time Value of Money, but you ALSO consider the fact that you could have INVESTED that $1 twenty years ago.

Additionally, one might assume that you need the money more now than you will in 2-5 years from now while you're waiting to make a 'profit' Hopefully 2 years from now you've stabilized your financial situation. But right this instant if you're scrounging for dough and these comics are like an albatross, consider moving them, even at a loss. You can think of them as an expensive lesson.

On the other hand, if you've done your research and trust yourself and think some of them are trending upward, you can wait a bit. For the BA 12 for example, if you think the comic will be worth more AFTER the movie, you can consider moving it then, but make sure you do OBJECTIVE research to figure it out, don't base your decisions on hope. You should be conservative.

Good luck.

ALSO...

Its sort of related to inflation.

With inflation, the price of things goes up over time, so $1 doesn't buy you as much today as it did twenty years ago.

The same is true of Time Value of Money, but you ALSO consider the fact that you could have INVESTED that $1 twenty years ago.

Additionally, one might assume that you need the money more now than you will in 2-5 years from now while you're waiting to make a 'profit' Hopefully 2 years from now you've stabilized your financial situation. But right this instant if you're scrounging for dough and these comics are like an albatross, consider moving them, even at a loss. You can think of them as an expensive lesson.

On the other hand, if you've done your research and trust yourself and think some of them are trending upward, you can wait a bit. For the BA 12 for example, if you think the comic will be worth more AFTER the movie, you can consider moving it then, but make sure you do OBJECTIVE research to figure it out, don't base your decisions on hope. You should be conservative.

Good luck.

I like that golf term you used and it's a expensive lesson indeed. I posted the ba12 and I didn't realize that the pics didn't work so I changed it and added to pics and got 1 payment plan offer and a trade offer which I said no to.

So - lets look at in another way -

Many advice points here - and if you do not realize it - it is because a lot of boardies want you to have some level of improvement. But you see a lot of backlash and frustration from us as a whole as you keep ignoring good advice.

1. Do not sell on facebook. This is the wild west with little in the way of buyer protection- and this does require a lot more experience that you have to navigate. You see a lot of complaints about ebay and sellers - but it is still better than a lot of the alternatives. If you do not want to pay fees - then sell the better/more desirable books here.

2. Do not trade - this cannot be stressed enough.

You are using not wanting to lose money on a sale as a reason for trading. BUT - this is even worse. It is unlikely that you will do better than break even on a trade at this point - so the very best you will do is break even - then you lose the $$ you spent on postage. This is losing increments of money without putting anything in your pocket - then you will probably lose even more when you do finally sell.

As an exercise - I want YOU to give us a trade analysis. Ignore the issues you are having with shipment - and lets say that this is the offer on the table. Give us the though process and values you assign that said to you that this was a good deal. Ignore shipping for now - and focus on assigned values as well as any implied risks or benefits on each side. I will do the same.

I do ask that the group at large not bash Gabriels logic if he gives us his opinion - just offer ways to improve. Me - you can bash my logic all you want.

Offer of -

7 copies of IG #1 9.8 X5 and 9.6 x2 (I am assuming these are the CBCS you had) as well as avengers 57, and 58 at 5.0/5.5 and 7.0/7.5

In exchange for -

HOS #92 CGC 7.0 and NM 98 8.5/9.0

Many advice points here - and if you do not realize it - it is because a lot of boardies want you to have some level of improvement. But you see a lot of backlash and frustration from us as a whole as you keep ignoring good advice.

1. Do not sell on facebook. This is the wild west with little in the way of buyer protection- and this does require a lot more experience that you have to navigate. You see a lot of complaints about ebay and sellers - but it is still better than a lot of the alternatives. If you do not want to pay fees - then sell the better/more desirable books here.

You are using not wanting to lose money on a sale as a reason for trading. BUT - this is even worse. It is unlikely that you will do better than break even on a trade at this point - so the very best you will do is break even - then you lose the $$ you spent on postage. This is losing increments of money without putting anything in your pocket - then you will probably lose even more when you do finally sell.

As an exercise - I want YOU to give us a trade analysis. Ignore the issues you are having with shipment - and lets say that this is the offer on the table. Give us the though process and values you assign that said to you that this was a good deal. Ignore shipping for now - and focus on assigned values as well as any implied risks or benefits on each side. I will do the same.

I do ask that the group at large not bash Gabriels logic if he gives us his opinion - just offer ways to improve. Me - you can bash my logic all you want.

Offer of -

7 copies of IG #1 9.8 X5 and 9.6 x2 (I am assuming these are the CBCS you had) as well as avengers 57, and 58 at 5.0/5.5 and 7.0/7.5

In exchange for -

The trade of my IG #1 9.8 X5 and 9.6 x2 and avengers 57 5.0/5.5 and 58 at 7.0/7.5

I valued at 800

In exchange for his HOS #92 CGC 7.0 and NM 98 8.5/9.0

at the time was worth

$850-1000

Reasons for wanting to trade.

Not taking a loss

Trading for more liquid books to get cashflow

less fees

Edited by uchiha101

Offer of -

In exchange for -

The trade of my IG #1 9.8 X5 and 9.6 x2 and avengers 57 5.0/5.5 and 58 at 7.0/7.5

I valued at 800

In exchange for his HOS #92 CGC 7.0 and NM 98 8.5/9.0

at the time was worth

$850-1000

Reasons for wanting to trade.

Not taking a loss

Trading for more liquid books to get cashflow

less fees

At the surface the values don't seem far off (without me dipping into GPA because I'm lazy atm).

My issue... is that trade seems too good to be true. I don't follow the infinity gauntlet books very much but what I can guess is:

1) Huge print run as is with most copper books

2) Will drop after the movie speculation and has very little chance to increase in value until infinity war movies come out

3) Avengers 57 has been decreasing after Avengers age of ultron (last time I checked)

The two books you're getting (especially HOS92) are among the hottest books on the market.

I look at the other guy and I can't see why I'd make that deal with you... unless I was going to scam you. I mean maybe he's a huge fan of the infinity gauntlet stuff but why would he need that many copies at once? Maybe he thinks it's easier to sell these books to get his money back (the cheaper the book, the more people can afford it). Sort of how you think it's easier to sell the HOS92 and NM98.

If I'm you, yeah I make that trade 7 days a week, but I don't think you protected yourself. I don't think you understood what I meant by exchanging value on paypal to protect from scamming. I'll try and explain again with this exact example:

You pay this guy $800 using goods and services for HOS 92 and NM98

He pays you $800 using goods and services for the IG copies and Avengers 57

You both mail with tracking and insurance.

Now lets assume he is going to scam you and not send you the HOS92 and NM98 but you sent your books... what can you do? You file a paypal claim against him and recoup your $800 because he didn't send the books.

If everything worked out, your $800 and his $800 would essentially cancel out (minus the paypal fees of $24). Make sense? I would avoid trading as the others have said though.

8 8