• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Sigh.

First off, some of the conversation is steering towards the political (tsk) so let's check the theories of why people are on welfare at the door. As a proud social :o I had to bite my tongue so let's keep focussed on the task at hand. ;)

Gabe,

I do think you have ignored some good advice here and that you may be eroding some of the goodwill. Make no mistake, everyone wants you to be self sufficient but the whole "I'm still learning" will only get you so much of a pass and it is clear that this whole comic business is not working out well for you. For every step forward, it seems like there are 4 steps back.

My genuine, heartfelt advice is as follows:

1. FORGET trading. SELL OFF the books you don't care about or are not part of your personal collection and use those funds for clothing, job training or education purposes. Put this particular dream on hold.

2. If you have not done so already, definitely buy a nice pair of dress shoes, pants, shirt and tie. You don't have to spend a lot to look nice and second hand stores do have nice stuff if you look. Dress for the job you WANT. Definitely lose the hoodies and jeans.

3. Get a career counsellor and/or find employment resources in your area. There are resources within Ontario Government for helping young people find work. I assume if you are on assistance that they have directed you to some resources? If so, make use of them. I don't know your personal situation (nor do I need to) but maybe try starting here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/employment-programs-people-under-30 or just call and let them direct you: 1-800-387-5514 .

Have you tried YOUTH EMPLOYMENT SERVICES (YES)? They seem like they might be another resource. Found here: http://www.yes.on.ca/

Get a strong resume together. Pound the pavement every day. There has to be SOMETHING or SOMEONE who can help. While I am not a qualified employment counsellor, if you want, I will look over your resume.

4. While searching/waiting for employment, VOLUNTEER somewhere. A hospital, a social service agency, local club or association, ANYWHERE that would give you skills and show that you are motivated to learn and something to beef up your resume. Besides, you never know what contacts you will make.

5. It is "ok" to put things on hold to take care of real world stuff and while I cannot speak personally to the impact of poverty, I had to make, albeit in comparison, minor sacrifices. While going to university, I completely gave up collecting, I simply could not afford the hobby. Once I got working and established, I got back into it. No reason why you couldn't do the same...Just maybe ease into it. ;)

6. For the record, just because you are on assistance, does not mean you can't have ANY fun. That would be a miserable existence. Just be responsible about it and choose wisely. (thumbs u

I have NO IDEA if you have done any of the above and/or if I came across as condescending, that was not my intent. I just think people would rather hear you have "moved on" (for now) from the comic business and taking a time out to better your employment chances for your own long term goals and wellness.

2c

Best of luck.

Stellar post.

Sigh.

First off, some of the conversation is steering towards the political (tsk) so let's check the theories of why people are on welfare at the door. As a proud social :o I had to bite my tongue so let's keep focussed on the task at hand. ;)

Gabe,

I do think you have ignored some good advice here and that you may be eroding some of the goodwill. Make no mistake, everyone wants you to be self sufficient but the whole "I'm still learning" will only get you so much of a pass and it is clear that this whole comic business is not working out well for you. For every step forward, it seems like there are 4 steps back.

My genuine, heartfelt advice is as follows:

1. FORGET trading. SELL OFF the books you don't care about or are not part of your personal collection and use those funds for clothing, job training or education purposes. Put this particular dream on hold.

2. If you have not done so already, definitely buy a nice pair of dress shoes, pants, shirt and tie. You don't have to spend a lot to look nice and second hand stores do have nice stuff if you look. Dress for the job you WANT. Definitely lose the hoodies and jeans.

3. Get a career counsellor and/or find employment resources in your area. There are resources within Ontario Government for helping young people find work. I assume if you are on assistance that they have directed you to some resources? If so, make use of them. I don't know your personal situation (nor do I need to) but maybe try starting here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/employment-programs-people-under-30 or just call and let them direct you: 1-800-387-5514 .

Have you tried YOUTH EMPLOYMENT SERVICES (YES)? They seem like they might be another resource. Found here: http://www.yes.on.ca/

Get a strong resume together. Pound the pavement every day. There has to be SOMETHING or SOMEONE who can help. While I am not a qualified employment counsellor, if you want, I will look over your resume.

4. While searching/waiting for employment, VOLUNTEER somewhere. A hospital, a social service agency, local club or association, ANYWHERE that would give you skills and show that you are motivated to learn and something to beef up your resume. Besides, you never know what contacts you will make.

5. It is "ok" to put things on hold to take care of real world stuff and while I cannot speak personally to the impact of poverty, I had to make, albeit in comparison, minor sacrifices. While going to university, I completely gave up collecting, I simply could not afford the hobby. Once I got working and established, I got back into it. No reason why you couldn't do the same...Just maybe ease into it. ;)

6. For the record, just because you are on assistance, does not mean you can't have ANY fun. That would be a miserable existence. Just be responsible about it and choose wisely. (thumbs u

I have NO IDEA if you have done any of the above and/or if I came across as condescending, that was not my intent. I just think people would rather hear you have "moved on" (for now) from the comic business and taking a time out to better your employment chances for your own long term goals and wellness.

2c

Best of luck.

I'll do some of those things as I do need to improve my resume so that I can get a job and interview skills. I was thinking a welder but I have really shaky hands. What I need it to do like a compatibility test that's accurate if there's something like that. I know what I want I just don't know the steps to get there yet.

Totally off topic of the current journal...but come see us at NFCC in June!

Gabe I think you need to start asking yourself some questions before you do things related to comics:

Think to yourself, since I know you and Vince have spoken. Would Vince do what I am about to do? Or Rick? Or any of the other guys here on the boards do. If the answer is a resounding NO then its probably a bad idea (sending a package to a random guy on the internet).

If the answer is hm I'm not sure, maybe you should post it here:

Hey guys got a trade offer for some of my books, guy sent me a list of people he has dealt with and I have checked with those 7 people and they all vouch for him what do you guys think?

Trading is a very dangerous game on the internet and there is only 1 reason to trade in your situation (to win aka more money or an easier book Hulk 181 worth 1k > an old western worth 1k). Keep in mind the shipping costs, insurance risk etc for the trade so you really need it weighted in your favour...it likely won't happen unless your being marked.

Totally off topic of the current journal...but come see us at NFCC in June!

Gabe I think you need to start asking yourself some questions before you do things related to comics:

Think to yourself, since I know you and Vince have spoken. Would Vince do what I am about to do? Or Rick? Or any of the other guys here on the boards do. If the answer is a resounding NO then its probably a bad idea (sending a package to a random guy on the internet).

If the answer is hm I'm not sure, maybe you should post it here:

Hey guys got a trade offer for some of my books, guy sent me a list of people he has dealt with and I have checked with those 7 people and they all vouch for him what do you guys think?

Trading is a very dangerous game on the internet and there is only 1 reason to trade in your situation (to win aka more money or an easier book Hulk 181 worth 1k > an old western worth 1k). Keep in mind the shipping costs, insurance risk etc for the trade so you really need it weighted in your favour...it likely won't happen unless your being marked.

I think it'd be nice to see you at the comic con. If we're talking about Vince or the other boardies then they wouldn't do it unless they are sure everything would turn out fine or have nothing to lose. I'm not sure what his references were at the time but it was enough to make me agree to the trade. Another thing I'll have to keep in mind is the value and insurance in case something happens.

I'll do some of those things as I do need to improve my resume so that I can get a job and interview skills. I was thinking a welder but I have really shaky hands. What I need it to do like a compatibility test that's accurate if there's something like that. I know what I want I just don't know the steps to get there yet.

Another good way to get at least career guidance if not vocational training and improve your resume at the same time would be at the Niagara College of Applied Arts and Technology which is probably no more than a long walk or short bus ride from where you live:

Niagara College

By all means see them! That's why they're there.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Another good way to get at least career guidance if not vocational training and improve your resume at the same time would be at the Niagara College of Applied Arts and Technology which is probably no more than a long walk or short bus ride from where you live:

Niagara College

By all means see them! That's why they're there.

:)

Really. Solid. Advice. (thumbs u

Today's Thoughts

Hopefully the ba12 I have moves

Plans

To sell my ba12 on fb by Monday if not I'll put it up on ebay

Sell archie #17

Sell Han Solo #2 action figure variant comics

Job plans

Get a job

I'm also going with my case worker to help me with my resume, interview skills and testing to see what kinda jobs I'm suited for.

Also they've given me a $200 dollar limit which I can sell things and be exempt from having it taken away from me.

Yes, in Ontario, if you are receiving social assistance, I believe they allow those receiving assistance to "earn" up to a certain extra amount before the government have any assistance funds "clawed back".

Also, if you want, I'll buy that BA #12 for you for $200 - Perfect deal for you, you can keep all of the $200!

:jokealert:

On a serious note, good to hear that you have a caseworker to help you out with finding employment. Good luck.

T

PS - Stop it with Facebook. Why not try to sell the book here????

Yes, in Ontario, if you are receiving social assistance, I believe they allow those receiving assistance to "earn" up to a certain extra amount before the government have any assistance funds "clawed back".

Also, if you want, I'll buy that BA #12 for you for $200 - Perfect deal for you, you can keep all of the $200!

:jokealert:

On a serious note, good to hear that you have a caseworker to help you out with finding employment. Good luck.

T

PS - Stop it with Facebook. Why not try to sell the book here????

Haha and to answer your question about facebook it's simple I've posted comics here and they don't really sell I'll try the archie #17 here though.

So what happened with the trade ?

The trade is still being worked on.

Make it your last one (trade) for awhile. I re-read this entire thread the other day. Can't even tell you how many times people advised you to put trades on the back burner and just sell your inventory.

So what happened with the trade ?

The trade is still being worked on.

Make it your last one (trade) for awhile. I re-read this entire thread the other day. Can't even tell you how many times people advised you to put trades on the back burner and just sell your inventory.

That's what I'm doing but nothing is moving yet.

8 8