• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2022 at 7:09 AM, Artboy99 said:

Your copy of Manhunt is another example.

Yep.  And if we're talking about how common this damage is we should talk about how often we slab books.  My sum total of submitted and received back books is maybe 20 so far because I generally buy books already slabbed.  I'm not sure how many books you've submitted and received back but I think it's similar.  So based on our small sample size they're damaging 1 in 20 books.  Now I suspect we've been unlucky and the damage rate is a lot less than 5% but I think it's higher than it should be and not rare.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:26 AM, thehumantorch said:

Yep.  And if we're talking about how common this damage is we should talk about how often we slab books.  My sum total of submitted and received back books is maybe 20 so far because I generally buy books already slabbed.  I'm not sure how many books you've submitted and received back but I think it's similar.  So based on our small sample size they're damaging 1 in 20 books.  Now I suspect we've been unlucky and the damage rate is a lot less than 5% but I think it's higher than it should be and not rare.

I am sure I am over 50 books submitted and received back. But if I include any quality control issues on what I got back I have 5 of 50 with issues be it stuff inside the case, wrong case size, rippling books inside the case, newton rings or what ever. This total does not include books we have jointly subbed either as some of those had issues (both Thor 337s with folded bottom corners as examples.) I also recall cracking a Spiderman at your house because it was very badly rippling inside the case and we were worried about further damage.

5% seems accurate.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:43 PM, wombat said:

You would think they should be embarrassed, but I highly doubt it. 

@CGC Mike What is the rule on grader notes? I can see not having them maybe for a 9.8 or 9.6, but how in the heck does a 5.0 not have grader notes? 

Unless your name is Matt Murdoch or Stevie Wonder, do you really need notes to tell you what knocked that book down to a 5.0?

I've subbed around 85 books last year, still waiting for 25 to show up

I have maybe 2 that might have been damaged at CGC, one for sure has a "post" dimple. A dimple made by the post of the top or bottom of the slab laying on the book.

I've seen at least two more examples of this, both newer cases and old, so this isn't a new issue by any means.

Someone thinks its ok to lay the slab half with the posts facing down on a book.

Guess what, it's not

@CGC Mike

Incredibly difficult to get pics of it

Right around the top of the R in Robocop

20211216_134128.jpg

20211216_134118.jpg

Oddly enough, in the examples I've held in my hand, there was enough pressure to make a deep indent, in one case, through a few pages and cover, but not enough to break colour or the paper

Not sure how it would do against newsprint and honestly don't want to know

Ok, so I got this through Dynamic Forces. Which makes me wonder if retailers get preferential grades on damaged books OR CGC QC is just that bad.  This book has three bent corners inside the case.  A blind person could tell this is not a 9.8.  I wouldn't sell this as VF.  I have an email in to Dynamic Forces, and waiting on response.IMG_20220208_173116211.thumb.jpg.61f6b2b10a799cf8c2c8c783dc3ed7de.jpgIMG_20220208_173901127.thumb.jpg.2e0246dc0aede368f5339c738c2bcb81.jpgIMG_20220208_173919662.thumb.jpg.08ffefb111d4d5ee3ac2951ed9257518.jpgIMG_20220208_173930688.thumb.jpg.293b5f29d47b59c10d997dda938b7cfb.jpg

On 2/8/2022 at 6:02 PM, The Meta said:

Yeah that definitely looks like it was done pre slabbing

Fo sho, my man.  The plastic would have to crack before making a bend like this.  The part that drives me nuts is the number of flawless books I've sent in that came back 9.4, and Dynamic Forces gets this.

On 2/8/2022 at 5:30 PM, optimal_max said:

Fo sho, my man.  The plastic would have to crack before making a bend like this.  The part that drives me nuts is the number of flawless books I've sent in that came back 9.4, and Dynamic Forces gets this.

Man I'm suprised, justly as perplexed at the improper technique. How can it be? That a day in the life can be so upsetting, and or, stressful! Honestly lol

On 2/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Man I'm suprised, justly as perplexed at the improper technique. How can it be? That a day in the life can be so upsetting, and or, stressful! Honestly lol

I'm not sure what any of this means.  Is this a quote?

On 2/8/2022 at 5:42 PM, optimal_max said:

I'm not sure what any of this means.  Is this a quote?

Improper technique, an in bends and a 9.8. How can it be? Perplexing, as in why it happened to begin with.

A day in the life of a comic company or slabbing flaws, causing stress? How does it not perplex the thoughts of the average collector.

On 2/8/2022 at 5:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2/8/2022 at 5:45 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Improper technique, an in bends and a 9.8. How can it be? Perplexing, as in why it happened to begin with.

A day in the life of a comic company or slabbing flaws, causing stress? How does it not perplex the thoughts of the average collector.

Have you been drinking Greggy's fermented urine again? (tsk)

On 2/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Have you been drinking Greggy's fermented urine again? (tsk)

Yes 😂 the answers are sobering. Finally someone replied with an interest to my post 😂

Sometimes I walk on the wild side just to see if anyone notices that I'm walking the line. :shy:

I don't blame it on alcohol though lol

On 2/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, thehumantorch said:

My doctor told me to stop drinking his urine.  :censored:

Nobody is supposed to drink it, and no one has been able to figure out why he even bottles it.

Ed Gein once said that Greggy's house was the only place he was scared to enter.