• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,140 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, letsgrumble said:

Is it the lack of notation re Frank Miller's first work on Daredevil? Look, that's gotta go if you want the Spidey picture on the label... :butbutbutemoji:

It’s on the back these days :gossip:

9E28CA8C-3D33-4250-95C7-2D253C9797B6.jpeg.a9951bd8cd7d774dcbdcd371eafc6132.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

I thought this was the "back from cgc" thread and not the qc thread

Whats wrong with this?

Is it a reprint? Looks like McFarlane Spidey in the UPC box 

Edited by The Meta

On 2/4/2022 at 1:42 AM, letsgrumble said:

We should have a quality control grading contest.

Is it the CGC hologram sticker over the custom label image that someone paid for? hm No, that's the way they always do it. :facepalm:

Is the label text not aligned properly? :shiftyeyes: No, that's normal for custom labels too.

Is it the lack of notation re Frank Miller's first work on Daredevil? Look, that's gotta go if you want the Spidey picture on the label... :butbutbutemoji:

No one picked up that this is the JCPenney reprint? :canofworms:

Final quality control score = 2.0. Gets a grade bump for no cracks or chips on the slab. 

Even worse when the books missed would otherwise be the highest graded...

145.thumb.PNG.a33daa6545a6dbc783d1be8df5e09170.PNG

156.thumb.PNG.28cc81bbdf58d1acfc835fac976c57fa.PNG

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b784a06cf70cb23219394ff276c9bf90.jpg.a3561eb10a0b47d3f9d0d53caaaca5ae.jpg

On 2/5/2022 at 6:18 AM, Artboy99 said:

while happy to finally get this book I was extremely disappointed that there is crud on the inside of the case.

Planet 51 crud.jpg

Oh dear. I don't see those marks in the scan on Heritage? Could it have been scratched by them during packing?

On 2/5/2022 at 12:18 AM, Artboy99 said:

while happy to finally get this book I was extremely disappointed that there is crud on the inside of the case.

Planet 51.jpg

Planet 51 crud.jpg

Specks and Flecks! Indeed, that would set off alarms :eek: They do look nice :shy: 

On 2/5/2022 at 4:29 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Oh dear. I don't see those marks in the scan on Heritage? Could it have been scratched by them during packing?

no because it is on the inside of the case. And you are correct, whatever the gunk is does not show on the Heritage scan.

Edited by Artboy99

On 2/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, Artboy99 said:

no because it is on the inside of the case.

That's grim, especially on a book that CGC would expect to have a lot of public exposure and prominence. The marks are very clear there, set against the green of the title. CGC grade millions of comics and you wonder sometimes just how bad the QC problems are. This thread, of course, focusses the issues but for all we know 999 out of 1,000 customers may be happy if not delighted with their books (although the waiting time to get them back must be hard to live with). Regardless of how low the failure rate may actually be though, when things go wrong, it's a disaster for the customer. If CGC put things right quickly and efficiently, with apologies and - God forbid - maybe some free credit as compensation - then we would all likely think more favourably of them and there would be less criticism. It's when they try and pass off production failures as 'normal or 'acceptable' that gets my goat. And the relentless touting for more business sits uncomfortably with the ever extending waiting times, for me.

I'd be interested to see how CGC respond if you contact them about this Artboy - do let us know if you do. In the meantime, I'm still holding off submitting my valuable books predominantly due to the long waiting times to get them back but also out of fear that I - like you - will be one of the unlucky ones that get a faulty case or, worse still, a damaged comic. 

and while I am venting, here is my very difficult to find Canadian edition of Planet Comics #4, damaged during inner well encapsulation. I agree with the 5.0 grade before the damage. It had a small tear at top left which is now torn off, and the bottom right corner was attached.

20220205_081958.jpg

20220205_082012.jpg

20220205_082004.jpg

On 2/5/2022 at 3:26 PM, Artboy99 said:

and while I am venting, here is my very difficult to find Canadian edition of Planet Comics #4, damaged during inner well encapsulation. I agree with the 5.0 grade before the damage. It had a small tear at top left which is now torn off, and the bottom right corner was attached.

20220205_081958.jpg

20220205_082012.jpg

20220205_082004.jpg

Stop using them. 

On 2/5/2022 at 9:26 AM, Artboy99 said:

20220205_081958.jpg

20220205_082012.jpg

20220205_082004.jpg

That is freaking horrible.  I will not send any of my Golden age or high grade silver etc to CGC.  I think the only thing they should stick to is wrecking peoples moderns.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:26 AM, Artboy99 said:

20220205_081958.jpg

20220205_082012.jpg

20220205_082004.jpg

Unfreaking believable. Sorry that happen to you. I’d be so mad. 

On 2/5/2022 at 7:49 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Stop using them. 

This is one of the worst I've seen. I'm done with CGC until they figure out their problems. I'm still going to be submitting books in a couple months. It's going to be CGC's decision who I go with.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, Artboy99 said:

no because it is on the inside of the case. And you are correct, whatever the gunk is does not show on the Heritage scan.

That happens during shipping, because the inner well can move around and rub against the inside of the outer case.

It is very common to get books back from CGC with those marks.

They could have happened while shipping it to you.

CGC should fix them no charge.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:14 PM, Timmay said:

That happens during shipping, because the inner well can move around and rub against the inside of the outer case.

It is very common to get books back from CGC with those marks.

They could have happened while shipping it to you.

CGC should fix them no charge.

Hey man - everyone has to blow their nose sometime. :gossip: