• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2022 at 8:47 AM, Ryan. said:

What do you mean by this? CGC can't tell the difference between a real and a counterfeit TMNT 1 so they send them elsewhere? 

I know I have seen this posted before, but when you want to send those in for encapsulation they have to have  Kevin Eastman verify , which is another reason why so many of them are Signature Series.  

On 1/30/2022 at 8:27 AM, Axelrod said:

Well, you know for months  MyComicShop has been selling the Masters of the Universe preview pages that were included in numerous DC titles back in the 80s.  These have been removed and slabbed separately and have received Blue label 9.8 grades from CGC.

:facepalm:

On 1/30/2022 at 8:57 AM, B2D327 said:

I think they already have

3CFFFFBA-19E3-4F83-B2A0-2C231511119E.jpeg

On 1/30/2022 at 11:03 AM, wormboy said:

I can think of at least one other promo insert that has always been treated this way (graded on its own in blue): Marvel Comics guide to Comic Collecting (image from eBay).

281F1D20-6647-4134-9F51-68EE10FCCAAB.jpeg.72105b2aac3d8d37ebc25d7888e140b1.jpeg

On 1/30/2022 at 1:14 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I know I have seen this posted before, but when you want to send those in for encapsulation they have to have  Kevin Eastman verify , which is another reason why so many of them are Signature Series.  

I think you're thinking of Gobbledygook 1 and 2.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:26 PM, Beyonder123 said:

Is there actually quality control at CGC? I 100 percent am seriously thinking they may have quietly removed that step from the process to try to speed up grading on the massive volume of books they are getting in. I imagine there's alot of problems where people just won't go through the hassle of sending the book back. Every single submission I have sent out has had some small problem with some of the books. Misspelled words. Small cracks. Missing notations. It might be cheaper for them to just send back books with errors. It's cheaper to just fix the books that get returned rather than every single one. I can not be convinced that a book that was put in the holder upside down went through any sort of quality control.

hm

On 1/30/2022 at 12:22 PM, Ryan. said:
On 1/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I think you're thinking of Gobbledygook 1 and 2

Yes. You are correct.  

My mistake.  :facepalm:

Found the thread I was thinking about and definitely had them confused.  Here it is..

On 1/30/2022 at 9:47 AM, Ryan. said:

What do you mean by this? CGC can't tell the difference between a real and a counterfeit TMNT 1 so they send them elsewhere? 

For the record, CGC keeps extensive notes of counterfeits and different printings. That's not to say they still can't make mistakes, but I seriously doubt they have to send copies of TMNT 1 to anyone else for proper verification...

On 1/30/2022 at 12:03 PM, wormboy said:

I can think of at least one other promo insert that has always been treated this way (graded on its own in blue): Marvel Comics guide to Comic Collecting (image from eBay).

281F1D20-6647-4134-9F51-68EE10FCCAAB.jpeg.72105b2aac3d8d37ebc25d7888e140b1.jpeg

This, at least, makes more sense to me. This Guide was released both as an insert (in Amazing Spider-Man #234), and as a standalone edition (I know firsthand, as I acquired at least two copies from my LCS when it was released). This is similar to the Sonic insert, which was (apparently) both a bound-in insert and a standalone release. It makes sense that these could be graded as standalone items, with CGC noting that they cannot determine which edition is which, as they do on the Sonic label.

This (to me) is completely different than the Master of the Universe insert which was never produced as a standalone item, or the Nostalgic Mad books, which are incomplete copies of the books that were published.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:38 PM, The Lions Den said:

For the record, CGC keeps extensive notes of counterfeits and different printings. That's not to say they still can't make mistakes, but I seriously doubt they have to send copies of TMNT 1 to anyone else for proper verification...

It was my mistake.  It was as Ryan said it is the Gobbledygook they have to have verified.  I posted the thread just above your post. 

That was my error. I knew I had read they had to have a book verified . It was NOT TMNT#1 . Sorry about the confusion.  

On 1/30/2022 at 8:27 AM, Axelrod said:
On 1/29/2022 at 8:08 PM, Domo Arigato said:

No doubt.  These were literally bound into the magazine.......they were a part of it.

It would be like ripping the Teen Titans Preview out of DC Comics Presents #26 and getting it slabbed as a Teen Titans comic.

Well, you know for months  MyComicShop has been selling the Masters of the Universe preview pages that were included in numerous DC titles back in the 80s.  These have been removed and slabbed separately and have received Blue label 9.8 grades from CGC.

On 1/30/2022 at 8:57 AM, B2D327 said:

I think they already have

3CFFFFBA-19E3-4F83-B2A0-2C231511119E.jpeg

I effing give up. 

This is literally pieces from another book.  Pieces that can't be removed without damaging them or COMPLETELY disassembling the book.  And yet here it sits.  No notation on the label that it's "incomplete".  Not with a qualified or restored label.  But with a 9.8 universal blue label.

It's like there's a race to the bottom and they're trying to win it. :facepalm:

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 1/30/2022 at 9:40 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I'm not familiar with this item and I'm not sure if I'm reading this all correctly.....but here is what I think is going on.

I'm thinking the blurb on the lower right of the label may be a bit confusing, as it's not worded very well.  It's just trying to say this item was distributed as a stand-alone promotional item AND ALSO as an insert in comics, and that they are indistinguishable from each other.  It's not saying which type this particular copy is.

Since CGC is claiming that they can't tell the difference between the stand-alone promotional (which should get a blue label) and the insert .....then they will be giving them all blue labels.  Similar to what they do with pressed books, since they can't tell the difference between books that have been pressed and those that haven't.

They have been grading this for a while.

I think @seanfingh knows something about these?

On 1/30/2022 at 4:42 PM, Beige said:

They have been grading this for a while.

I think @seanfingh knows something about these?

Yeah.....this one I really don't have an issue with......since it was sold as both a stand-alone as well as an insert, and apparently there's no way to tell the difference between the two.

But the Nostalgic Mad and the Master of the Universe inserts that were bound into the books and then removed and received blue labels.  These were glued and/or stapled into the books.  That is beyond ridiculous.

CGC does have a "Golden Goose" they basically have a huge percentage, share of all the comics in the marketplace.  They are the defacto leader in the industry.  This may be a good lesson on how to lose market confidence by pure greed and apathy. If they are the "experts" then how do you explain the "Promise" collection with a large percentage of fiasco grading standards as well as so many of the previous comments in this thread.

Unknown-2.jpeg

Edited by BEAUMONTS

On 1/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I effing give up. 

This is literally pieces from another book.  Pieces that can't be removed without damaging them or COMPLETELY disassembling the book.  And yet here it sits.  No notation on the label that it's "incomplete".  Not with a qualified or restored label.  But with a 9.8 universal blue label.

It's like there's a race to the bottom and they're trying to win it. :facepalm:

Sending off a handful of Marvel Value Stamps as we speak. 

9.8's here we come! 

re: Sonic the Hedgehog
As someone that knows firsthand that someone purchased stacks of Justice League International #33 (regardless of conditions) from Mile High Comics back in the day for an average price of $1-$2 a piece.
They would tear the outer pages (to keep staples intact) until they reached the Sonic promo in the center.
They would press the insert and submit to CGC as Sonic the Hedgehog #1.
They would all end up graded 9.8
They would then be listed one by one (to not flood the market) on eBay for approximately $99 each.

It looks as if CGC has identified this loophole and 'closed' it by creating a separate Promotion Insert listing.

sonic-hedgehog-sega-1991-promo_360_20501f57aac734ad2dcc4b08a1f572ca.jpg

Edited by Troy Division
added photo evidence...

On 1/30/2022 at 6:46 PM, Troy Division said:

They would tear the outer pages (to keep staples intact) until they reached the Sonic promo in the center.
They would press the insert and submit to CGC as Sonic the Hedgehog #1.
They would all end up graded 9.8
They would then be listed one by one (to not flood the market) on eBay for approximately $99 each.

So, this Sonic insert was attached to it's host book with the staples then.  But how could CGC not tell when this happened?

Even I could easily tell if a cover and several outer wraps had been removed from a comic.  Unless they were replaced or manipulated, the staples would be looser than greggy wearing fishnet stockings while standing on a street corner.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 1/30/2022 at 8:07 PM, Domo Arigato said:

But how could CGC not tell when this happened?

Even I could easily tell if a cover and several outer wraps had been removed from a comic.  Unless they were replaced or manipulated, the staples would be looser than greggy wearing fishnet stockings while standing on a street corner.

From what I remember...they did have to 'press' the staples tighter at the centerfold so they wouldn't be too loose.