• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

What would be cool is if it the dating error happened in the other direction--like getting a Stan Lee signature certified on 4/20/23 or something.  THAT would be worth some money...

On 4/30/2022 at 1:04 AM, Iceman399 said:

Label date that it was signed last year instead of being signed last week. 

I considered it more likely that there was a signing a year ago and the person was just now getting it back, vs. it happened and was graded and back to them in 2 weeks. 

Coming up on two weeks without hearing what to do about the book that was sent back unencapsulated even though it made the pre-screen, and a month of waiting to hear back from accounting about an overbilling. I like to stay patient with stuff like this, and I am pretty chill about it all, but maybe CGC needs to invest in more support people to meet these demands. We all know that mistakes can happen, but people get less and less understanding the longer they wait for a resolution. 

On 4/28/2022 at 2:49 PM, jokiing said:

More than half of the box of ten delivered today have large scratch on front of slab. Shouldn't be more anxious than excited in opening a CGC shipping box.

Second box arrived today. Six out of nine have long scratch down the front of slab. :facepalm:

Correction for my earlier post quoted above... "More than half" is actually 9 out of 10. Some with similar 3/4 length scratch as 2nd box. All going back. So tired of this lack of quality control.

Added image, but as many know, it's sometimes hard to capture what's going on with all the reflections. Anyway, this scratch, which is on a majority of my slabs from both boxes, starts at the top, across the label and goes 3/4 down the front.

IMG_3623.jpg

Edited by jokiing
Added pic

On 4/30/2022 at 3:59 AM, Ryan. said:

You people need to start pointing out the errors when posting images.

You may be setting the bar too high. hm  I'd be happy if folks posting here took the time to include an image with their claim of a QC failure.  After all, a picture is worth a thousand words!  :preach:  Doesn't everyone have a smart phone these days?  (shrug)

Edited by zzutak

On 5/2/2022 at 2:52 PM, FrontStands said:
On 5/2/2022 at 1:16 PM, FrontStands said:

I'm beyond happy with the grade.

BUT....It's missing a coupon and should be a green label, this is universal.
Not the worst issue in the world, it's actually a pretty small coupon at the bottom of the page so I see how they could miss it.

21d70cf214200bbfe2a27c92da339d6c.png

Does anybody have an opinion on what they would do?
I plan on keeping the book but I'd rather have it in a green label, in case I ever decide to sell the book and forget about the coupon, also having a "misleading" label doesn't sit well with me.

I also don't want to send it back to CGC just to wait around a month for a new label, I paid to get this back as quickly as possible, so unless they offer some sort of refund, or credit I may just have to keep the book with the blue label.

is the missing thing in the graders notes?

If the label notation is there, even with a blue label, then I wouldn't worry too much. CGC might have adjusted the grade to give it blue, but with the label notation?

On 5/2/2022 at 3:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

is the missing thing in the graders notes?

If the label notation is there, even with a blue label, then I wouldn't worry too much. CGC might have adjusted the grade to give it blue, but with the label notation?

I guess I'll wait to see if the label mentions the coupon, but the graders notes do not mention it, and I think it wouldn't have gotten a 4.5 blue label if they did notice it.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, FrontStands said:

I guess I'll wait to see if the label mentions the coupon, but the graders notes do not mention it, and I think it wouldn't have gotten a 4.5 blue label if they did notice it.

I agree. I've had label notations such as "distorted hologram" that didn't show up under tracking that WERE on the label upon received and in hand.

Still I could have sworn they WERE at least in the grader's notes :sorry: 

On 5/2/2022 at 11:16 AM, FrontStands said:

I'm beyond happy with the grade.

BUT....It's missing a coupon and should be a green label, this is universal.
Not the worst issue in the world, it's actually a pretty small coupon at the bottom of the page so I see how they could miss it.

21d70cf214200bbfe2a27c92da339d6c.png

Dang... that's a great book to have, too bad CGC/PGX flocked it up.

With a book like that, I DON'T see how they wouldn't give it more attention than they would flipping through a POS modern drekbook with which they are massively flooded by the hundreds every day. 

If they can't take/won't the TIME to carefully grade an original-run Cap book, then they just don't give a flying fluck about ANY books anymore. :censored:

Edited by jcjames

On 5/2/2022 at 1:04 PM, FrontStands said:

Yeah, maybe a Universal 1.0 or at best a 2.0 for missing a coupon.

Still, that's a great book to have either way so congrats! (thumbsu 

I got back a 10 book submission.  All the cases were perfect.  But 1 lone book had a clear kryptonite shank in it.

No description available.

Not at all bothered by it, I called CS they emailed me the ME info and notated my invoice of the issue.  Already shipped it back.

0 of 10 had the dreaded Newton Rings, was pretty stoked about that!

On 5/2/2022 at 1:31 PM, Crops068 said:

I got back a 10 book submission.  All the cases were perfect.  But 1 lone book had a clear kryptonite shank in it.

No description available.

Not at all bothered by it, I called CS they emailed me the ME info and notated my invoice of the issue.  Already shipped it back.

0 of 10 had the dreaded Newton Rings, was pretty stoked about that!

Okay so, we have a satisfied customer, so that's good! Glad your set is relatively unscathed and you're happy! 

On 5/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, jcjames said:

Okay so, we have a satisfied customer, so that's good! Glad your set is relatively unscathed and you're happy! 

Satisfaction is relative.  Realistic is more like it honestly.

None of what I do is to resell.

QC should definitely do better.  Scratches, shards, and label swaps shouldn't slip through.  But they have a process in place to address when they do.

In the end, we the consumer end up paying for their mistakes with the price and TAT increases.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:19 PM, jcjames said:

Yeah, maybe a Universal 1.0 or at best a 2.0 for missing a coupon.

It's probably just "Marvel couponing," so it can still be a 4.5.

re: shards in the slab

How long has this been going on? It seems like it's been a very long time. How can CGC NOT know where they're coming from? This should've been fixed a long time ago.

"What? Plastic shards are getting in the slabs? We better take care of that right away."

Honestly, is there anyone here who thinks that CGC doesn't know where they're coming from?

re: scratches and smudges

How long has this been going on? Years, that's how long. When it first started happening, I was thinking that it had to be a preexisting flaw of the plastic/slab that was already there when it arrived. I was thinking that if it was happening in house, CGC would take care of it pronto. But seeing as how they don't give a rat's hiney about the shards, I'm not so sure anymore.

re: Newton rings

What can I say. Shame on you, CGC. Shame on you.

People can say what they want about CGC's grading. About their resto detection. About the sturdiness of their slabs. I can't dispute any of that. But there is no denying ... when it comes to QC, CGC is hands down the worst.