• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2022 at 4:53 PM, Robert_L said:

I just got a box returned that I had sent in to be recased due to newton rings etc. The problem is, whoever is is removing the books from the plastic liners seems to be doing so, spine first and bending them. I know the photos are difficult to see, but know that each one is/was a 9.8. I understand that things can happen when a books is removed from the case, but there is a definite trend with these books. I also have photos of them before sending them in. These are the worse ones, some others you can see slight bends to the spine, but not enough the crease them or break color.

I am also sending in an email to submissions regarding these, 10 in total this time.

The invoice with the shipment was not 'checked by QC'.

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0006.jpeg

IMG_0007.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0022.jpeg

Woah. These all retained 9.8 grades?

On 8/13/2022 at 3:53 PM, Robert_L said:

but know that each one is/was a 9.8.

I know we all asked Robert_L if these were still 9.8s, but I guess he answered that preemptively. 

If removal messes up the book then it's supposed to be re-graded (free of charge!), so maybe they just skip that inconvenience on ReHolders and fast track them right back out the door.

Those ticks are massive, yeah, but don't worry about resale Robert if that's a concern. Kids buy slabs, not comics! 😀

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/14/2022 at 2:18 PM, KirbyTown said:

so maybe they just skip that inconvenience on ReHolders and fast track them right back out the door.

Not sure if you're serious or not, but that actually makes a lot of sense. I can't help picturing a supervisor standing behind the employee holding a stopwatch. My point is that the person who made the decision to NOT regrade these might have just been following orders.

Speed over quality. Usually not a good thing.

On 8/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, Gaard said:

Not sure if you're serious or not, but that actually makes a lot of sense. I can't help picturing a supervisor standing behind the employee holding a stopwatch. My point is that the person who made the decision to NOT regrade these might have just been following orders.

I see this being the most likely case

I just got my Claremont books back from the signing and it looks like I am going to have to send X-men 121 back as they forgot to include the page quality on the label (White Pages etc.)  The strange thing is, the page quality isn't listed in the registry either.  Was that part of the evaluation missed entirely during the grading process?  Will it now have to go back through the entire grading process instead of a simple re-holder? These are very basic errors with the standard process that are easy to spot.   Does quality control not look at the following summary page?  It is painfully obvious when you do, that one of the books doesn't have the page quality listed.  Frustrating.  The cost of all this quality re-work is quite significant.  You would think a company like Blackstone that is so driven by profitability would take a look at how much money is being hemorrhaged at poor QC and address it simply through the motivation of keeping that money in their pockets.

image.thumb.png.7ceeec6d98292b9e3d75a03142a514a4.png

PXL_20220815_132018548.jpg

Edited by LudaToke

On 8/15/2022 at 7:56 AM, LudaToke said:

I just got my Claremont books back from the signing and it looks like I am going to have to send X-men 121 back as they forgot to include the page quality on the label (White Pages etc.)  The strange thing is, the page quality isn't listed in the registry either.  Was that part of the evaluation missed entirely during the grading process?  Will it now have to go back through the entire grading process instead of a simple re-holder? These are very basic errors with the standard process that are easy to spot.   Does quality control not look at the following summary page?  It is painfully obvious when you do, that one of the books doesn't have the page quality listed.  Frustrating.  The cost of all this quality re-work is quite significant.  You would think a company like Blackstone that is so driven by profitability would take a look at how much money is being hemorrhaged at poor QC and address it simply through the motivation of keeping that money in their pockets.

Yikes.  Seems like there should be some coding in the software that wouldn't allow a label to be printed unless all the fields were completed.  While not the most impactful of errors seen in this thread, it's egregious in how absolutely unforgiveable it is.  This should never happen. 

On 8/15/2022 at 11:58 AM, buttock said:

Yikes.  Seems like there should be some coding in the software that wouldn't allow a label to be printed unless all the fields were completed.  While not the most impactful of errors seen in this thread, it's egregious in how absolutely unforgiveable it is.  This should never happen. 

I agree.  We have all encountered countless forms online that we weren't able to save or exit from unless all required fields were completed.  Seems like a simple thing to handle.  This is the second signature series where I have had to immediately send it back for the proper label.

Edited by LudaToke

On 8/14/2022 at 7:12 AM, Ryan. said:

Woah. These all retained 9.8 grades?

On 8/14/2022 at 10:21 AM, Gaard said:

I agree with your doubts. If these books were a straight sub and not a reholder, they probably wouldn't have gotten 9.8s.

On 8/14/2022 at 2:18 PM, KirbyTown said:

I know we all asked Robert_L if these were still 9.8s, but I guess he answered that preemptively. 

If removal messes up the book then it's supposed to be re-graded (free of charge!), so maybe they just skip that inconvenience on ReHolders and fast track them right back out the door.

Those ticks are massive, yeah, but don't worry about resale Robert if that's a concern. Kids buy slabs, not comics! 😀

Yes, each of the books came back as 9.8s. It seems when they are doing the recasing, it seems it is a simple remove from case, remove from inner sleeve,  then reverse those steps and out the door.

If I were to resubmit them as is, I don't think there's a chance they would be 9.8, maybe a 9.4 for a couple due to the size.

The big problem for me is, and anybody else, when an expensive book is received that has big newton rings, debris, etc, do I dare send it in to be redone, running the risk that is gets a grade drop for something that should be so simple if the person is being a tad bit careful?

I do agree most people do but the slabs, but if I should resale some of these, they would look horrible. I usually get a few doubles to sell, to pay for the ones I keep, which most of these were keepers....

On 8/15/2022 at 11:58 AM, buttock said:

Right? It's like that label that got printed as a ".4". 

On 8/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, Gaard said:

You can have it done Right, Fast, Cheap.

Pick two.

Or pick one, as the case may be! 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:56 AM, LudaToke said:

Not the first time...

03D4801E-C563-4275-8AB1-E3619AC12F9C.thumb.png.71065cbb090a07261124ad8856b94519.png

On 8/14/2022 at 1:30 PM, Gaard said:

Free re-holders are a loss, so it makes sense for the priority to be closing the ticket.

Wouldn't a CCS press/clean get rid of "light finger prints on cover"???

I re-subbed a book for a signing.  I sent it in still in the CGC Case, previously graded 9.6 without any notes.  I know artist's can unintentionally 'flaw' a book during the signing, but after that happened to me once already with a JSC signing, I get them all pressed and cleaned now.  If it had that on the grader notes from before, I would be OK with it.  Now it's coming back 9.4 with just that note.  I feel like it picked up the finger print sometime after CCS but before grading.

Is it even worth calling CS about this?  I won't get the books back until maybe Monday so I can't tell yet if I can even see it through the case.