• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

My question is: Where in the pressing or grading process is it ok to have naked books, and tape in the same room?  Or on the same desk?  Books should be removed from boxes in one area, and graded in another.  I would imagine in the grading process when the books are transferred from one grader to the other, the books aren't re-taped in between. My next concern is that something sticky was placed or set down on a naked book during the grading process? This just opens up more and more questions of what's actually happening behind the scenes.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:03 PM, Gaard said:

So it sounds as if the switch is happening by the graders...the labelers are just doing what it says to do. Does this sound correct?

That is possible. hm

And from what I recall, the books should all have an invoice barcode sticker attached to the exterior of each bag; only the number of the book within the invoice should change. For example, if you send in a ten-book invoice, the barcode numbers will be exactly the same except book number one will read "001", book number two will read "002", and so on.

So, the mistake would usually happen during the grading process or when the books were taken out of the bag and transferred to wells during the encapsulation process. To be honest, this is one of the most common errors that I remember seeing at CGC. The real perplexing part is that no one noticed it before it left the premises. For this and many other issues, I'd call CGC Customer Service immediately. I hope this helps, and good luck...  

Edited by The Lions Den

On 11/11/2022 at 10:56 AM, Gaard said:

CGC/CCS employs jackwagons. But do they care? Seriously, do they even care?

@MetalPSI I've been a member of that list for a long time now.

I'm suggesting a list be made up and submitted to @CGC Mike so he can forward it to whomever and they can decide how many customers they feel they can do without

1. MetalPSI 

2. Gaard

On 11/11/2022 at 11:52 AM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

My question is: Where in the pressing or grading process is it ok to have naked books, and tape in the same room?  Or on the same desk?  Books should be removed from boxes in one area, and graded in another.  I would imagine in the grading process when the books are transferred from one grader to the other, the books aren't re-taped in between. My next concern is that something sticky was placed or set down on a naked book during the grading process? This just opens up more and more questions of what's actually happening behind the scenes.

From what I recall, there are times when the books are taken out of their bags or when the bags are replaced for some reason. This is most likely going to happen during the receiving process, the grading process or the encapsulation process. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:13 PM, The Lions Den said:

Take my word for it, they have cameras...  :shy:

I believe you. I've never read anything, however, where CGC has looked at video to settle a dispute.

On 11/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, zzutak said:

This carries absolutely no weight with me.  I don't think the pull-down menu of grading notes includes "color lift due to improper CCS pressing."  lol

Maybe it needs to be added. 

Edited by joeypost

On 11/11/2022 at 7:30 AM, DR.X said:

So some ding bat damages this man's book ( looks like tape pulls ), knows WTF they did, and encapulates it anyway, and out the door. Maybe the owner won't notice?

More like, by the time the owner gets the book back it'll be too late to figure out who damaged the book.