• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,136 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, MetalPSI said:

So you're not on the list?

You haven't ever subbed books? You planning on it?

No, I'm not on the list.  Yes, I've subbed books and yes I went elsewhere due to the problems I see posted constantly.  Here, YT, IG, etc..  

I will very hesitantly sub again because I paid $99 for a membership with $150 credit attached to it.  With that I'll be getting 3 books graded and yes, I am obviously playing the odds and hope I don't regret it.  Only reason I did was due to a complete lack of CS at the place I went to.

I'm just saying your list of 5 or 10 names is not going to be cared about, or noticed by anyone.  Nor would a list of 50.  They're too busy churning through submissions and hoping the returns, due to horrible QC, are minimal.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think @CGC Mike said that the whole QC team is like 7 people.  How many books get slabbed everyday?   

The continuous fail of their QC “department” will be the downfall of CGC.  People will stop submitting because it’s not worth the risk....and MCS will continue to receive raw consignments by the truck load.  Ultimately....comic encapsulation goes the way of the Dodo 🦤 bird

It's been clear for a while now that QC is done via sampling and not via inspection of each unit that goes out the door, which is how many widget based industries operate. I doubt CGC will ever staff enough to inspect every single slab.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, Ryan. said:

It's been clear for a while now that QC is done via sampling and not via inspection of each unit that goes out the door, which is how many widget based industries operate. I doubt CGC will ever staff enough to inspect every single slab.

Well that’s an absurd approach with the business of collectable encapsulation. Explains the current state of CGC QC better than believing they’re actually hiring monkeys  though...

Dock each employee that is the last to handle the slabs (I would assume the encapsulation room) $0.50 per book that is put in upside down, entombed with foreign materials, damaged, mislabeled, etc. I imaging it would be easy to track which invoices were encased by whom. 

What would happen if you worked a 40 hour work week and ended up owing the company money at the end of the week? 

What would you do as a business owner?

Possibly. It's also been clear for a while that the QC department is functioning far below what's considered acceptable. Of course, what I consider unacceptable may very well be acceptable to CGC (and it appears it is).

On 11/12/2022 at 11:45 AM, jcjames said:

How can they know what the grade/resto/authenticity is ahead of time?

On SS3, "FMV" 90-day avg of a 8.0 is $1,200 and a 7.0 is $750.

You have to take an educated guess or max it out, just in case something like this happens. 

On 11/12/2022 at 12:22 PM, joeypost said:

You have to take an educated guess or max it out, just in case something like this happens. 

If you submit under standard tier, maximum value wouldn't even cover the FMV of a SS3 8.0

And if you submit under Express (max $3000), and it comes back 7.0 instead of 8.0, do they refund the difference in tier prices? 

And how would one send in a book with FMV > $3000 if the max for Express is only $3000? 

Maybe I'm missing something? (shrug)

On 11/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Well that’s an absurd approach with the business of collectable encapsulation. Explains the current state of CGC QC better than believing they’re actually hiring monkeys  though...

One of their business analysts ran the numbers and determined that the cost of catching every mistake outweighs the cost of processing the current volume of returns. 

On 11/12/2022 at 12:11 PM, Ryan. said:

Yeah but...

image.thumb.png.32c0986e5cd55ca8a25ae7d03d7de47b.png

On 11/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, Ryan. said:

One of their business analysts ran the numbers and determined that the cost of catching every mistake outweighs the cost of processing the current volume of returns. 

Are they taking consumer confidence into account with their analysis?  That rate of erosion should not be ignored.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, Ryan. said:

If that's true, they must've had an idea of the number of returns that they would receive. I wonder if the actual number of returns is close to what they figured?

Isn't it something like 20,000-30,000 comics per week pass through grading? With maybe 12-15 total graders? Not even counting the inventoring, CCS, slabbing & QC crew #s. Are there at least a dozen employees for each of those departments too? 

That's maybe 50 books per grader, per hour, every hour, all day long. 

Clearly that's too much demand to keep standards high. 

So jack up the price which will cut the demand way down and allow them to get control of the process. 

Can't see any other way to turn the ship around. 

Edited by jcjames

On 11/12/2022 at 2:41 PM, jcjames said:

Isn't it something like 20,000-30,000 comics per week pass through grading? With maybe 12-15 total graders? Not even counting the inventoring, slabbing & QC crew #s. 

That's maybe 50 books per grader, per hour, every hour, all day long. 

Clearly that's too much demand to keep standards high. 

So jack up the price which will cut the demand way down and allow them to get control of the process. 

Can't see any other way to turn the ship around. 

That's assuming Gordon Gecko CGC even wants to turn the ship around.