• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,152 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2023 at 6:48 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

It looks like one of the plastic shards since you do see a shadow but it also looks like it has scratched the book as it was moving around. 

Since it appears to cast a shadow I would say it could be in between the wells. Looks like a small piece of paper of lint from clothing. 

• Administrator

I sent in a batch of 25 books in May. When I got them back, I had to send 10 back for ME. All of them had cracks in one side of the case, in the same spot, suggesting there was some sort of mechanical issue with their encapsulator that was perhaps applying too much pressure? All of these except one was an oversized book, with the thicker case. 40% failure rate on this submission.

When I got back the ME submission, 8 of those 10 had various issues, including different cracks, or debris encapsulated with the book. 80% failure rate on those books.

When I got back the second ME submission, 4 of the 8 had some severe scuffing on the case, and another was cracked. I usually let a little scuffing go, but these were 9.8 books, and the scuffing made it look like the book was damaged or dirty. 62.5% failure rate on those.

Just got back those 5. 3 of the 5 have plastic shards inside. One of those shard is more than an inch long. Not sure how you miss those. So those will be going back. 60% failure rate.

If the trend holds. I'll need to send 2 of the 3 books back again, and then 1 of those 2 the next time. Then I guess it's a coin flip whether that one has no issues.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I sent in a batch of 25 books in May. When I got them back, I had to send 10 back for ME. All of them had cracks in one side of the case, in the same spot, suggesting there was some sort of mechanical issue with their encapsulator that was perhaps applying too much pressure? All of these except one was an oversized book, with the thicker case. 40% failure rate on this submission.

When I got back the ME submission, 8 of those 10 had various issues, including different cracks, or debris encapsulated with the book. 80% failure rate on those books.

When I got back the second ME submission, 4 of the 8 had some severe scuffing on the case, and another was cracked. I usually let a little scuffing go, but these were 9.8 books, and the scuffing made it look like the book was damaged or dirty. 62.5% failure rate on those.

Just got back those 5. 3 of the 5 have plastic shards inside. One of those shard is more than an inch long. Not sure how you miss those. So those will be going back. 60% failure rate.

If the trend holds. I'll need to send 2 of the 3 books back again, and then 1 of those 2 the next time. Then I guess it's a coin flip whether that one has no issues.

So in a batch of 25 you've now had 25 MEs.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Now that deserves a letter to CGC.

On 11/8/2023 at 12:52 AM, Tnexus said:

So in a batch of 25 you've now had 25 MEs.

It actually looks like, out of a batch of 25 books, he's had 26 MEs..........so far. :facepalm:

10 the first time.

8 the second time.

5 the third time (4 with severe scuffing plus 1 with a crack)

3 the fourth time.