• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,141 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2023 at 1:17 PM, wombat said:

Makes you wonder if they just packed up the same books without doing anything. 

Which is now why I write in big black sharpie on the slabs of all my MEs what the problem is.

Edited by Tnexus

On 11/28/2023 at 4:17 PM, wombat said:

Makes you wonder if they just packed up the same books without doing anything. 

From looking at previous examples from just this thread alone ... it wouldn't be the first time.

On 11/29/2023 at 12:54 AM, Tnexus said:

Which is now why I write in big black sharpie on the slabs of all my MEs what the problem is.

For all the work some of us must do to receive what we paid for, CGC should give an extra discount, 10% (open to debate), every time comic books have to be returned for ME after the first time.

While CGC is at it, they should also offer free shipping and cake.

Cake is the most likely to be offered. meh

On 11/29/2023 at 4:14 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:
On 11/28/2023 at 11:54 PM, Tnexus said:

For all the work some of us must do to receive what we paid for, CGC should give an extra discount, 10% (open to debate), every time comic books have to be returned for ME after the first time.

While CGC is at it, they should also offer free shipping and cake.

Cake is the most likely to be offered. meh

CAKE!! ?

On 11/9/2023 at 12:00 PM, wardevil0 said:

Not exactly... the physical paper didn't change, but it's no longer a pedigree.

Gene Autry lookup.jpg

@CGC Mike Hello!  Does this mean if I have an incorrect label that I can now get the label info corrected in the system without sending the book?

Example, I had sent in a third printing of a book to be graded. There were four printings total and all of the other three had correct label info (writer/artist).  I sent pics of all four printings and CS still insisted that CGC needed the book in their possession to “verify” before they could fix the data.  Seems like removing a Pedigree is a lot more serious than what I was asking and if that can be done without CGC possessing the book then perhaps exceptions can be made in cases such as I encountered. Appreciate your time!

• Administrator
On 11/30/2023 at 1:49 PM, Iconic1s said:

@CGC Mike Hello!  Does this mean if I have an incorrect label that I can now get the label info corrected in the system without sending the book?

I am going to have  to check with the team before giving you an answer.  

• Administrator
On 11/30/2023 at 1:49 PM, Iconic1s said:

Example, I had sent in a third printing of a book to be graded. There were four printings total and all of the other three had correct label info (writer/artist).  I sent pics of all four printings and CS still insisted that CGC needed the book in their possession to “verify” before they could fix the data.  Seems like removing a Pedigree is a lot more serious than what I was asking and if that can be done without CGC possessing the book then perhaps exceptions can be made in cases such as I encountered. Appreciate your time!

Here is what I was told:

The reason we changed this is because the ebay seller refused to even respond to us, so in essence we are taking away the pedigree. This is different than changing one thing to another (like a printing). Usually people want the correct printing, variant, newsstand on their label and will return the book to us.

On 11/30/2023 at 7:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here is what I was told:

The reason we changed this is because the ebay seller refused to even respond to us, so in essence we are taking away the pedigree. This is different than changing one thing to another (like a printing). Usually people want the correct printing, variant, newsstand on their label and will return the book to us.

@CGC Mike as always you are awesome!  I appreciate you checking on this!  Honestly though, that's kind of a disappointing answer. In my case, I just didn’t want the data to be wrong… didn’t really care what the label said… I had the book in hand and was happy enough not to send it back as it was for my PC.  Was more concerned about future submitters labels being correct.  I just point this out as it’s another example of the “powers that be” making stuff up as they go.  Playing Devil’s Advocate here, from the perspective of the person that has that “Pedigree” book “in-hand” it’s actually pretty messed up for CGC to change that info when they (CGC) did in-fact already have it in their possession at one point and in their wisdom gave it the Pedigree designation.  Where does CGC “technically” get the right to do that, whether the owner replied or not without looking at it again?  I just wanted to fix some data (writer and artist) on a rather obscure ‘90’s book that very few people care about but I couldn’t do that without sending it back. Meanwhile, CGC is happy enough to remove a Pedigree designation from a book without even having it hand to take another look at it?

I’m just saying that when a customer can clearly show that data is wrong (such as when I could show 3 of 4 printings were correct) why not just make changes instead of making us send a book back to “verify.”  Seems the standard is… 1) if the mistake inconveniences the customer make them send it back to “verify”… 2) if it makes CGC look bad change it without the book in-hand. 

On 12/5/2023 at 10:03 AM, mysterio said:

This may have already come up, but recently we have been getting slabs back with the top part of the label crunched. Just got back a box of 15 and each one has this to one degree or another. Do you know what may be going on here, @CGC Mike?

IMG_2986.JPG

Incompetence?

(shrug)

• Administrator

This may have already come up, but recently we have been getting slabs back with the top part of the label crunched. Just got back a box of 15 and each one has this to one degree or another. Do you know what may be going on here, @CGC Mike?

IMG_2986.JPG

I will check into this.

IMG_2986.JPG

I just looked at some books I got back.  It appears they are folding the label in the wrong spot causing too much at the top.

• Administrator

IMG_2986.JPG

On 12/5/2023 at 12:09 PM, Timmay said:

I just looked at some books I got back.  It appears they are folding the label in the wrong spot causing too much at the top.

Here is some info regarding this:

This was a problem with one of the manufacturers who make our parts. It's since been identified, addressed and corrected. We are still filtering through the defective parts that we have in house, but the team knows to be on the lookout for them to avoid them making it out.

On 12/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, wombat said:

Not to be that guy, but why didn't they catch these in QC? Shouldn't they have been "on the lookout" from the beginning?

Agreed. Not to pile on, but wasn’t there someone just a couple pages back who sent a book back as ME for this very thing and CGC returned it with the same bent label. 

CGC’s response makes it sound like they just now discovered this was a problem. 

How many times do people have to say “Your hair is on fire! Your hair is on fire!” before you finally acknowledge ‘oh, hey, that’s why it’s so hot in here’. 

Edited by Number 6

IMG_2986.JPG

You need to be sure that when you get the book pressed, you pay extra to get the holder pressed too!  (: