• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

I honestly think the QC has gone out the window. My one 20 book submission from October had one book where the case was cracked, it could of happened during shipping. The crazy part is that it was the most expensive book in the whole order. I send it back in to get fixed, then I get it back with a ton of scuff marks on the case that will not come out. My question is, they received a book back with an issue and while it is in QC would they not us a case that isn't messed up with scuff marks that are very apparent when you even look at the case without a book in it? I waited an entire month to get it back. Who has time on our end to keep sending the same book back for the case lottery? It is very frustrating.

Edited by captainzombie

On 12/6/2023 at 9:24 AM, captainzombie said:

I honestly think the QC has gone out the window. My one 20 book submission from October had one book where the case was cracked, it could of happened during shipping. The crazy part is that it was the most expensive book in the whole order. I send it back in to get fixed, then I get it back with a ton of scuff marks on the case that will not come out. My question is, they received a book back with an issue and while it is in QC would they not us a case that isn't messed up with scuff marks that are very apparent when you even look at the case without a book in it? I waited an entire month to get it back. Who has time on our end to keep sending the same book back for the case lottery? It is very frustrating.

The odds may be better in Vegas.

As I'm certain at least one person at some point in history said (meh), "Give me your money sucka'." I may write that on my checks to CGC.

Official picture on the census shows the Mark Jeweler version as the original. However, seeing the full picture, the fact that it's a 9.8 with those flaws is insane. I'm wondering if it went in for a label fix, CGC screwed it up, re-pressed it, and didn't change the grade.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4277700004/

Edited by Tnexus

On 12/16/2023 at 1:00 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Same cert number.

Different books.

Re-label with switched book?

Screenshot_20231216_135501_Instagram.thumb.jpg.9dc11bac7c95f10836f1090e95ab3d75.jpg

Screenshot_20231216_135453_Instagram.thumb.jpg.57fbededee9063bf986eb01813b80a5f.jpg

hm

Just learn how to handle our high grade books CGC. Not happy.

9 freaking ASM 9.8's I filter out the best 5 and they pull this on one of my good books.

image.thumb.png.6968ce57c66618cbe5fa463a1b92f1c6.png

"""

image.thumb.png.dcdfd3a54b1cd7c8852bb5a812698149.png

image.png.8a9c83759a3963f5bfd0b0ee74428fa2.png

image.png.0b3456b2d0c5c9db2f8d4a81a7df338f.png'

image.png.ac3e99edb86d52917020aebf16f35398.png

oH LIGHT SPINE STRESS LINES THAT DIDN'T EXIST WHEN i SUBMITTED THE BOOK? YOU DON'T SAY?!!??  Little color breaking ticks on the back too? Par for the game I guess. Oh wait white pages are now off white / white too ? Sitting outside of a cgc case for 2-3 months in balmy florida warehouse weather do that to a book? 3rd one it has that were all graded recently in 9.8 white pages. 

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

"Purpose of grading services CGC's primary service is to provide a reliable, consistent, and non-partial comic books grading and authentication, which can greatly mitigate all these challenges and pitfalls that are inherent with comic book collecting."  I guess there "mission statement" must be optional at this point.

Damaging and partaking in known or unknown chicanery with peoples treasures.   By default they are promoting more 'raw dogging" then slabbing, in my mind actually a good trend.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:23 PM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

Just learn how to handle our high grade books CGC. Not happy.

9 freaking ASM 9.8's I filter out the best 5 and they pull this on one of my good books.

image.thumb.png.6968ce57c66618cbe5fa463a1b92f1c6.png

"""

image.thumb.png.dcdfd3a54b1cd7c8852bb5a812698149.png

image.png.8a9c83759a3963f5bfd0b0ee74428fa2.png

image.png.0b3456b2d0c5c9db2f8d4a81a7df338f.png'

image.png.ac3e99edb86d52917020aebf16f35398.png

oH LIGHT SPINE STRESS LINES THAT DIDN'T EXIST WHEN i SUBMITTED THE BOOK? YOU DON'T SAY?!!??  Little color breaking ticks on the back too? Par for the game I guess. Oh wait white pages are now off white / white too ? Sitting outside of a cgc case for 2-3 months in balmy florida warehouse weather do that to a book? 3rd one it has that were all graded recently in 9.8 white pages. 

If you sent that in for a signing it doesn't matter what condition you think it was.  What matters is the condition after everyone involved in the signing, including the signer, has handled it.  That's the risk that comes with signings.

As for page color... like grades, it's all subjective.  Send it in again, it may get a 9.9 and white pages.  🤷

On 12/17/2023 at 6:15 PM, Sigur Ros said:

If you sent that in for a signing it doesn't matter what condition you think it was.  What matters is the condition after everyone involved in the signing, including the signer, has handled it.  That's the risk that comes with signings.

As for page color... like grades, it's all subjective.  Send it in again, it may get a 9.9 and white pages.  🤷

lol def not gonna get a 9.9 lmfao

It's not what I think the condition was. Look at the pictures. It's what the condition was. But  in the everyone handles the book aspect you are right. Doubt the signer f'd up the spine though. Bad  case crack mayhaps idk

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 12/17/2023 at 8:09 PM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

It's not what I think the condition was. Look at the pictures. It's what the condition was. But  in the everyone handles the book aspect you are right. Doubt the signer f'd up the spine though. Bad  case crack mayhaps idk

So you sent it in still slabbed?

I didn't put that together. My bad.

Yea, it sucks.  But sending books in is always a risk, even non-signature books.

On 12/17/2023 at 7:09 PM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

I wasn't sure what I was seeing... ???

This looks like a tape pull, but I've got 9.0 for less of a tape pull. If these are the comparison pics...

Screenshot_20231217-191601.png

Screenshot_20231217-191541.png

Part of it tells me this is natural art to the back cover and you're speaking of spine ticks... ?

But the zoom in difference on your comparison pics threw me off...

No worries 

Screenshot_20231217-191926.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/17/2023 at 8:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Part of it tells me this is natural art to the back cover and you're speaking of spine ticks... ?

But the zoom in difference on your comparison pics threw me off...

No worries 

Screenshot_20231217-191926.png

Adamantium I love you buddy and your investigation skills. This was just a mishandled book on cgc's part no question. There's no mystery here.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:45 PM, Number 6 said:

Agreed. Not to pile on, but wasn’t there someone just a couple pages back who sent a book back as ME for this very thing and CGC returned it with the same bent label. 

CGC’s response makes it sound like they just now discovered this was a problem. 

How many times do people have to say “Your hair is on fire! Your hair is on fire!” before you finally acknowledge ‘oh, hey, that’s why it’s so hot in here’. 

Its not a problem unless the customer complains

The quality control has completely gone out the window of late. I have one book that has gone in now twice for a mechanical error and another book that someone messed up over at CGC. I won't go into details right now, but I am leaving it to Mike and the management team to hopefully do the right thing. I know we are all human and things happen, but seeing some of the same stuff over and over again is not good. The only good thing is that the customer support girl Rachel was very nice about the situation, so we shall see where things go.

On 12/20/2023 at 9:12 AM, captainzombie said:

The only good thing is that the customer support girl Rachel was very nice about the situation, so we shall see where things go.

I've spoken with Rachel several times.  She is one of the best CSA's CGC has!  (thumbsu

Edited by workingdog
added word