• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,137 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2024 at 8:44 AM, Gaard said:

Has anyone ever wondered how this stuff even gets to QC in the first place? Upside down books, backwards books, wrong labels, etc, etc, ... how does this kind of stuff happen in the first place, even before it gets to QC?

To err is human... (shrug)

On 1/20/2024 at 8:44 AM, Gaard said:

Has anyone ever wondered how this stuff even gets to QC in the first place? Upside down books, backwards books, wrong labels, etc, etc, ... how does this kind of stuff happen in the first place, even before it gets to QC?

It is people doing that work. If someone does the same boring task hundreds of times per day, 5 days a week, stuff will happen from time to time. 

On 1/11/2024 at 8:17 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will try to get someone to double check on this through the process.

I wanted to call out how great @CGC Mike and @MattM CS were during this process. I received the book with the updated label today, a mere 10 days after the initial request for the change - really appreciate the speed on resolving the label issue - thank you!

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4338279002/

That said, I'm still not particularly happy with the grade: it got bumped to a 9.6 from a 9.4, but the graders notes indicate 'light creasing to cover' - this is exactly the type of notes that should not happen with books that have been pressed, especially by CGC.

Unless I'm missing something, 'light creasing to cover' is precisely the reason people send books in to be pressed in the first place, and pay money to have resolved; so either CGC's pressing is really not up to par, or there is no review of the books between pressing and grading stages that would catch resolvable issues.

In theory, if I wanted to see if I could get the bump to the 9.8, my only option is to send it back to CGC, since CGC does not allow 3rd party pressers to crack SS slabs. But why would I do that, knowing that the book has already been pressed by CGC and they were unable to resolve the issue? (rhetorical)

On 1/21/2024 at 1:29 PM, dbcn said:

I wanted to call out how great @CGC Mike and @MattM CS were during this process. I received the book with the updated label today, a mere 10 days after the initial request for the change - really appreciate the speed on resolving the label issue - thank you!

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4338279002/

That said, I'm still not particularly happy with the grade: it got bumped to a 9.6 from a 9.4, but the graders notes indicate 'light creasing to cover' - this is exactly the type of notes that should not happen with books that have been pressed, especially by CGC.

Unless I'm missing something, 'light creasing to cover' is precisely the reason people send books in to be pressed in the first place, and pay money to have resolved; so either CGC's pressing is really not up to par, or there is no review of the books between pressing and grading stages that would catch resolvable issues.

In theory, if I wanted to see if I could get the bump to the 9.8, my only option is to send it back to CGC, since CGC does not allow 3rd party pressers to crack SS slabs. But why would I do that, knowing that the book has already been pressed by CGC and they were unable to resolve the issue? (rhetorical)

I believe a "crease" in CGC's eyes is either color-breaking or fiber-breaking and is not fixable with a press.  

On 1/21/2024 at 7:15 PM, Tom789 said:

I believe a "crease" in CGC's eyes is either color-breaking or fiber-breaking and is not fixable with a press.  

Thanks for that insight @Tom789 - there aren't any color breaking creases, so I guess it's fiber breaking? could the fiber breaking be caused by the press? (The book was brand new, unopened when I sent it in)

On 1/22/2024 at 6:26 AM, dbcn said:

Thanks for that insight @Tom789 - there aren't any color breaking creases, so I guess it's fiber breaking? could the fiber breaking be caused by the press? (The book was brand new, unopened when I sent it in)

A bad press with misplaced protection could possibly do that, yes.  By unopened, I assume you mean a poly bag.  I don't have any experience with comics in those bags (I'm an old-timer :preach:) but I've heard they can produce such creases.  

On 1/21/2024 at 4:29 PM, dbcn said:

Not all creases are the same. I just did a crack and resub on a book that had "creasing on back cover" in the graders notes and was initially graded by CGC as 8.0. I popped it open, worked out the creases with a ball bearing and four times through my press, and it came back as 9.8. There have been many other times when some creasing could not be fixed and the book topped out at a 9.4 or 9.6. 

As a general rule I assume that I cant hit a 9.8 if a book I want to pop has "creasing" in the grader notes. Typically there is a small color break or compromise to the flatness of the cover that you can't do anything about. 

On 1/25/2024 at 12:01 PM, dbcn said:

Thx @Stefan_W - this was an SS book, so the only people 'authorized' to pop it out is CGC - 9.6 for me!

Yeah, I got that. I was just pointing out that the flaw may not have been fixable and a 9.6 could be the top end for that particular book. 

I do get why you are frustrated though - it is hard to know whether there is something more than can be done without having the ability to pop it out yourself. 

thx @Stefan_W - gtk that there is a way to address the creasing issue - I probably have some other non-SS books that have the same issue that should I need to, I could send to a presser to try to fix - thx for that pro tip (thumbsu

(just wish that CGC could also recognize that and try to fix it before slabbing it...)

Edited by dbcn

On 1/25/2024 at 11:01 AM, dbcn said:

Thx @Stefan_W - this was an SS book, so the only people 'authorized' to pop it out is CGC - 9.6 for me!

Not necessarily.  There are a few certified signature series witnesses if you were considering adding another signature to it that could possibly work on the book for you while in their care. 

Oh interesting @onlyweaknesskryptonite - CGC had told me directly that they were the only ones to be able to press a cracked SS book (since they were doing the cracking) - but I hadn't considered a certified facilitator - so there are certified-facilitator-pressers as well...?

On 1/25/2024 at 3:21 PM, dbcn said:

Oh interesting @onlyweaknesskryptonite - CGC had told me directly that they were the only ones to be able to press a cracked SS book (since they were doing the cracking) - but I hadn't considered a certified facilitator - so there are certified-facilitator-pressers as well...?

I cannot say they will directly just crack and press, but there have been times where a signing gets pushed back and they are only supposed to hold books for a limited time. So if that siding gets pushed / canceled.  You get the idea. I would search the boards for reputable facilators and discuss your options and what they can and cannot do. 

On 1/25/2024 at 2:21 PM, dbcn said:

Before Matt was at CGC he pressed a sig series for me as he was an authorized witness.
He pressed and subbed it back to CGC for me.

On 1/20/2024 at 12:54 AM, Galen130 said:

What I want to know is why people are still submitting comics, especially if they know about the issues CGC has nowadays.  That grape kool-aid must taste really good...:whistle:

Because they still make money from it.

9.8 CGC Graded Comics are worth MORE than someone's raw 9.8 opinion. It's the way it is because CGC essentially has a near monopoly.

If a car manufacturer starts getting a bad part from one of their vendors and it causes issues with a vehicle and becomes a problem, the dealer doesn't stop selling cars.

There's a market that's been created. It's still a successful market for many people. 

There are some people who feel the need to present a PR influenced angle regarding CGC's issues and some who feel the need to be more honest with how those problems are viewed, but make no mistake - until something better comes along and is accepted - if that could even happen at this point - their use in the market isn't going to change drastically because of various production flaws.

It has nothing to do with 'kool-aid'.