• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,137 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2024 at 4:49 PM, Prince Namor said:

Because they still make money from it.

9.8 CGC Graded Comics are worth MORE than someone's raw 9.8 opinion. It's the way it is because CGC essentially has a near monopoly.

If a car manufacturer starts getting a bad part from one of their vendors and it causes issues with a vehicle and becomes a problem, the dealer doesn't stop selling cars.

There's a market that's been created. It's still a successful market for many people. 

There are some people who feel the need to present a PR influenced angle regarding CGC's issues and some who feel the need to be more honest with how those problems are viewed, but make no mistake - until something better comes along and is accepted - if that could even happen at this point - their use in the market isn't going to change drastically because of various production flaws.

It has nothing to do with 'kool-aid'. 

I enjoy the fun and excitement of seeing the various QC issues that show up in this thread as much as anyone, and have certainly had my share to deal with, but the reality is that the vast majority of slabs go out without any real issues, whether people want to believe it or not. 

On 1/27/2024 at 4:49 PM, Prince Namor said:

Because they still make money from it.

9.8 CGC Graded Comics are worth MORE than someone's raw 9.8 opinion. It's the way it is because CGC essentially has a near monopoly.

If a car manufacturer starts getting a bad part from one of their vendors and it causes issues with a vehicle and becomes a problem, the dealer doesn't stop selling cars.

There's a market that's been created. It's still a successful market for many people. 

There are some people who feel the need to present a PR influenced angle regarding CGC's issues and some who feel the need to be more honest with how those problems are viewed, but make no mistake - until something better comes along and is accepted - if that could even happen at this point - their use in the market isn't going to change drastically because of various production flaws.

It has nothing to do with 'kool-aid'. 

Exactly. See : eBay.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:52 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Not necessarily.  There are a few certified signature series witnesses if you were considering adding another signature to it that could possibly work on the book for you while in their care. 

That’s news to me when they said only CCS could work on yellow labels. 

On 1/28/2024 at 9:42 AM, joeypost said:

Did you have that status at one point though where you were a verified witness that could press books and then submit them where they would retain their yellow label? 

On 1/28/2024 at 8:42 AM, joeypost said:

This is why I have said that they would have to contact current authorized Signature Series facilitators and find out what they are and are not allowed to do. It was my understanding that if a facilitator was cracking a book to have it signed that it could be cleaned / pressed during that process.  

On 1/28/2024 at 9:48 AM, Buzzetta said:

Did you have that status at one point though where you were a verified witness that could press books and then submit them where they would retain their yellow label? 

I did. They emphatically told me that no one besides CCS were authorized to work on signature books. Even if a facilitator isn’t authorized to press cracked out books, what’s to stop them? 

This is a new one. I was going through the shipment that got back to me earlier this week to start scanning and it looks like one of the slabs was not sealed, or barely sealed, prior to sending it off to me. It literally came apart in my hands. For perspective the shipment had 25 books in it and the other 24 cases were flawless. 

I think I cursed myself when I started thinking "I havent had an ME in a while."

image.thumb.jpeg.16a693b3b6ad6f458a8839b4a1251a74.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ffe2572ec6e27d28072d8f7cc8e83bd0.jpeg

On 2/10/2024 at 9:43 AM, Stefan_W said:

This is a new one. I was going through the shipment that got back to me earlier this week to start scanning and it looks like one of the slabs was not sealed, or barely sealed, prior to sending it off to me. It literally came apart in my hands. For perspective the shipment had 25 books in it and the other 24 cases were flawless. 

I think I cursed myself when I started thinking "I havent had an ME in a while."

image.thumb.jpeg.16a693b3b6ad6f458a8839b4a1251a74.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ffe2572ec6e27d28072d8f7cc8e83bd0.jpeg

Same thing happened to me with the 3 GA books I sent in.  One side of 2 of the cases is not sealed at all.

On 2/11/2024 at 2:55 AM, Panda2 said:

Perhaps that is one of the new improved processes they have implemented since holdergate? Lol

It would certainly greatly facilitate swapping books out!

On 2/15/2024 at 5:31 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Seriously? That floater is from an entirely different page

IMG_4521.jpeg

IMG_4520.jpeg

IMG_4522.jpeg

I don't have the issue to check (lol) but maybe that's part of the rest of the wrap that's still attached?  Or maybe it's just stuck together with glue from someone trying to keep the loose pages together, so they thought it would be more damaging to remove it?  Only the graders and original submitter would know for sure, I guess...?

On 2/15/2024 at 4:36 AM, wardevil0 said:

I don't have the issue to check (lol) but maybe that's part of the rest of the wrap that's still attached?  Or maybe it's just stuck together with glue from someone trying to keep the loose pages together, so they thought it would be more damaging to remove it?  Only the graders and original submitter would know for sure, I guess...?

You’re right. Could be stuck together in a way that separation was problematic. But it’s mos def not the next page . . .

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3198.jpeg

On 2/15/2024 at 6:09 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You’re right. Could be stuck together in a way that separation was problematic. But it’s mos def not the next page . . .

But the way pages (or "leaves") are wrapped for stapling would mean that fragment could be from the corresponding position at the back of the book, not the next sequential "story page."