• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
42 42

6,238 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2024 at 4:56 PM, Tom789 said:

I was referring to the piece out in the center of the bottom edge and the raggedness at the left corner, silverfish damage maybe.  This forum reduces my original image quality sometimes and you can see the flaws better on the cert page image.

On some books, elements such as the ones you are describing are production bindery tears.  When the sheets feed through the printing presses, there are gripper "claws" that can leave their marks that don't get fully trimmed off at the end.  Perhaps that is what is being seen there?

On 7/29/2024 at 3:18 PM, Iconic1s said:

Holy smokes!!

Yea.  There's a thread of this new problem of bent inner wells.  Happening since December 2023 (at least).

On 8/12/2024 at 11:32 PM, stock_rotation said:

I just saw this on Facebook. I've covered up the names, as no one gave me permission to post this, but it seemed perfect for this thread. Book being talked about is Rocket to the Moon, Canadian edition.

image.png.f715dd5897008961c25140de39c26991.png

image.thumb.jpeg.a0e0e68e0d149e00e77b0c5f49874109.jpeg

ffs...

On 8/13/2024 at 11:22 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

And shame on the people still using Facebook. 

I dont completely disagree with the sentiment, but the total yearly dollar figure for comics I sell on Facebook is greater than the amount I sell on Ebay and Comic Conventions combined. A decent chunk of the older-skewing comic demographic is very happy to buy their stuff there, and selling there is perfectly fine for now. 

Edited by Stefan_W

A month ago I got a shipment of slabs back from CGC and two of my slabs had cracked corners (it happens).  So I sent them back for reholdering and the two came back today.

My Romantic Confessions 1 was reeholdered and the slab is perfect....but the inner well has a (slice?) thru it both front and back which makes it look like the slab is cracked.

What you see in my pics is NOT a crack in the slab, it's a slice in the inner well.  Weird 

How many times do I have to send this back in for reholdering?????

IMG_8179.jpeg

IMG_8178.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 8/19/2024 at 10:35 AM, gadzukes said:

A month ago I got a shipment of slabs back from CGC and two of my slabs had cracked corners (it happens).  So I sent them back for reholdering and the two came back today.

My Romantic Confessions 1 was reeholdered and the slab is perfect....but the inner well has a (slice?) thru it both front and back which makes it look like the slab is cracked.

What you see in my pics is NOT a crack in the slab, it's a slice in the inner well.  Weird 

IMG_8179.jpeg

IMG_8178.jpeg

I just dropped off an ME at my local FedEx.  This is the 15TH TIME I'm resubmitting this book as an ME, (almost?) all for scuffs in the slab.  @gadzukes indeed!

Edited by Still Only 20¢
Formatting

On 8/20/2024 at 11:32 AM, Still Only 20¢ said:

I just dropped off an ME at my local FedEx.  This is the 15TH TIME I'm resubmitting this book as an ME, (almost?) all for scuffs in the slab.  @gadzukes indeed!

Come on..... you've got to be exaggerating.  15 times????

@gadzukes, no I'm not exaggerating.  Since CGC was acquired a couple of years ago, I've found that about half of the books I've received back from them I've had to return as Mechanical errors.  I had 2 that were reaching double figures a few months ago, so I documented the ME submissions and presented them to CGC in hopes of getting the books finally resolved.  1 book was resolved, the other I've sent back a few more times as an ME.  This will be the 15th.

Edited by Still Only 20¢
Forgot to quote, so I...

On 8/19/2024 at 7:35 AM, gadzukes said:

IMG_8179.jpeg

IMG_8178.jpeg

That looks like a nice copy.  I'd get that out of that inner well as soon as possible.  Cut lines on the plastic in direct contact with the book can cause line impressions or possibly abrasion.

On 8/20/2024 at 1:52 PM, Yorick said:

That looks like a nice copy.  I'd get that out of that inner well as soon as possible.  Cut lines on the plastic in direct contact with the book can cause line impressions or possibly abrasion.

It IS a nice copy!

I sent it back to them already.  If I see what you are saying when I get it back..... they will definitely be hearing from me

IMG_8176.jpeg

This is an interesting one and the second time now that I have seen this when cracking an older case. The inner well was not sealed at all and there was simply a piece of thin plastic on either side of the book as it sat in the case. Something must have gone wrong with the sealing machine and no one noticed. The last time I saw this the book inside was unaffected and still bumped up to a 9.6. It looks like this one was affected by the lack of protection and there is quite a bit of bad creasing along the top and bottom edges. I haven't pressed it yet, but I would grade it in the 7-range as-is which is a long way from a 9.0. The funniest part of this story is the same guy gave me both books which unsealed inner wells and the two books were not from the same submission. I mean, what are the odds? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

On 8/20/2024 at 2:30 PM, Stefan_W said:

This is an interesting one and the second time now that I have seen this when cracking an older case. The inner well was not sealed at all and there was simply a piece of thin plastic on either side of the book as it sat in the case. Something must have gone wrong with the sealing machine and no one noticed. The last time I saw this the book inside was unaffected and still bumped up to a 9.6. It looks like this one was affected by the lack of protection and there is quite a bit of bad creasing along the top and bottom edges. I haven't pressed it yet, but I would grade it in the 7-range as-is which is a long way from a 9.0. The funniest part of this story is the same guy gave me both books which unsealed inner wells and the two books were not from the same submission. I mean, what are the odds? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I have a feeling this one of mine is the same, you can see the squinch or whatnot at the top of the inner well through the case?

I want to say this was in an effort to reduce newton rings, and would guess that all of the above were probably grade within the 2016-17 era?

3540413_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Ni85LzIwMjQgOTo0N

On 8/20/2024 at 3:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have a feeling this one of mine is the same, you can see the squinch or whatnot at the top of the inner well through the case?

I want to say this was in an effort to reduce newton rings, and would guess that all of the above were probably grade within the 2016-17 era?

3540413_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Ni85LzIwMjQgOTo0N

Hard to tell for sure, but you may be right since you cant see the sealed part of the inner well around the book. 

On 8/20/2024 at 3:30 PM, Stefan_W said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I believe this is a "Fortress" type holder that CGC used briefly a few years ago.  There was an outcry against it and many said books would develop staple tears.  The comic was placed between two sheets of mylar and then sealed in the case.  There was never an inner well the book was sealed in.  This holder was only used for a short time period. 

Edited by boatfund