• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
42 42

6,217 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2024 at 2:30 PM, Stefan_W said:

This is an interesting one and the second time now that I have seen this when cracking an older case. The inner well was not sealed at all and there was simply a piece of thin plastic on either side of the book as it sat in the case. Something must have gone wrong with the sealing machine and no one noticed. The last time I saw this the book inside was unaffected and still bumped up to a 9.6. It looks like this one was affected by the lack of protection and there is quite a bit of bad creasing along the top and bottom edges. I haven't pressed it yet, but I would grade it in the 7-range as-is which is a long way from a 9.0. The funniest part of this story is the same guy gave me both books which unsealed inner wells and the two books were not from the same submission. I mean, what are the odds? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Google "CGC creep engine". It might explain since it looks like this could have been graded during that time.

Untitled.jpg

On 8/12/2024 at 10:32 PM, stock_rotation said:

I just saw this on Facebook. I've covered up the names, as no one gave me permission to post this, but it seemed perfect for this thread. Book being talked about is Rocket to the Moon, Canadian edition.

image.png.f715dd5897008961c25140de39c26991.png

image.thumb.jpeg.a0e0e68e0d149e00e77b0c5f49874109.jpeg

They'll probably hit his CC with an extra pressing charge once he reports this...

On 8/20/2024 at 3:33 PM, boatfund said:

I believe this is a "Fortress" type holder that CGC used briefly a few years ago.  There was an outcry against it and many said books would develop staple tears.  The comic was placed between two sheets of mylar and then sealed in the case.  There was never an inner well the book was sealed in.  This holder was only used for a short time period. 

I remember when they announced that new holder... Matt Nelson personally spent 2-3 years (or something like that) personally R&D'ing and designing that bad boy... only for it to last a few months.   I've came across two of them... one was a Modern book that was so wavy I was surprised that it didn't need regrading when I sent it in for the free reholder.  The second one I got much later (and still have) is another Modern book that isn't nearly as bad... it's not an important book and I just don't care enough to send it back in (plus the free reholder offer is long expired).  I will say I liked the look of how the book seemed suspended in the holder... it sort of made sense if it had worked.

On 8/25/2024 at 6:07 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Unsure if this is legit or Photoshop.

IMG_0299.thumb.jpeg.27f868e04979c2dfb0942f994561167e.jpeg

Saw the video.

I think he said it's his friend's.  That the friend called CGC and was told "well, yea, that's what it was graded".  The friend said he's probably just going to keep it like that.   I would.

Again  I only saw a video...not making a claim. 

On 8/25/2024 at 6:24 PM, Sigur Ros said:

That the friend called CGC and was told "well, yea, that's what it was graded".

Curves in the inner well or the grade are considered normal and will not be corrected.

Just be thankful we added an extra 0.1 to it........which we did not have to do.

Sincerely,

The CGC

On 9/2/2024 at 5:24 PM, Tnexus said:

Customer Service skills needed for a QC control job? Lol.

looking at their reviews from former employee's it seems like the "job" you have is largely irrelevant to what you might be doing that day, so it wouldn't surprise me that an "extra" QC person would be thrown on the phones/email to handle complaints. All in all the negative reviews are pretty standard for a factory setting type job:

1. Poor/toxic Management
    1. Micromanagement
    2. Bad Leadership
    3. Misconduct (given some of the verified responses)
  2. Nepotism/good-old-boys club
    1. Lying about promotions
  3. Understaffed/yearly layoffs
    1. Management getting rid of "threats"
  4. Poor pay structure/lack of advancement
    1. Poor work/life balance
    2. Extensive demand for OT
    3. Lack of training
    4. Constant change without documentation/training

The factory setting type job (non-union) often preys on the young; who are inexperienced and those in hardship that need money. Then churn through employee's without regard for company reputation as if there is an infinite supply due to bad leadership/management. CGC has now been in FL as a company for a generation of workers, it doesn't matter how much money they donate to community projects and get nice articles written about them. They have an established reputation with the workforce that is very difficult to change and will be the biggest hurdle to actually getting talented people going forward.