• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

I don't see how anyone can believe this will be the phenomenon that the original series was when it was released. Is this just my generation being nostalgic? I've had a couple friends say this will be the biggest thing in movies since the original. lol

Since people don't really understand the adjustment for inflation, this movie will easily blow past the original series in box office dollars.

The original was released at a time when movie theaters had about 2 screens and televisions had about 4 channels. Nothing beats the nostalgia for a generation who was a captive audience. lol

Anything that captures the attention of a significant portion of today's generation (20 screens in every theater, 400 channels on television, infinite movies that stream, video games with budgets as big as movies) will be a major phenomenon.

+1

Old heads are getting on my nerves with their short-sided basic opinions.

Of course it will almost be almost impossible to ever beat the original trilogy's importance or nostalgia, but for anyone who is a fan of Star Wars that is not excited for what is to come is just down right moronic. Nothing about any of the episodes I II or III even came close to get an emotional response from me than what SW VII trailers did.

Episode VII just from the trailer you can tell is going to be one for the ages and IMO the 2nd best SW movie ever. Dark like Empire.

The last time I had a feeling of Holy $%&% from the trailers was Batman Dark Knight.

What about the younger generation? I have no doubt the 40 yo's will swarm but that will not make it a phenomenon.

Watch the full video of Boyega watching the trailer and the reaction of him and the guy with him. They were watching every frame as intently as I was. I believe he is in his early 20s.

I don't see how anyone can believe this will be the phenomenon that the original series was when it was released. Is this just my generation being nostalgic? I've had a couple friends say this will be the biggest thing in movies since the original. lol

Since people don't really understand the adjustment for inflation, this movie will easily blow past the original series in box office dollars.

The original was released at a time when movie theaters had about 2 screens and televisions had about 4 channels. Nothing beats the nostalgia for a generation who was a captive audience. lol

Anything that captures the attention of a significant portion of today's generation (20 screens in every theater, 400 channels on television, infinite movies that stream, video games with budgets as big as movies) will be a major phenomenon.

How does this compare with Harry Potter or Hunger Games with today's generation?

My nephew is 12 and he can name every character from the original Star Wars because of... Legos and The Clone Wars cartoon.

He has never seen the original movies. He's already a big fan due to the least exciting aspects of Star Wars.

If Mickey Mouse can be important for 80+ years without really being more than a cartoon mouse, I'm pretty sure Star Wars can make a lasting impression on a second generation.

I suppose we are talking in circles about the depth of the impact.

My son and my nephews did not even know what Star Wars was until I sat them down and played the movies. The cartoon is quite good and will certainly help. I just don't see the WOW! Factor. Did they develop some new special effect techniques I have not heard about?

Okay back to the fun Star Wars discussion.....

I think we all know that this trilogy will give us some kind of swerve.

You can only pick one plot twist you wish would happen.

What would it be? :popcorn:

No spoiler tag needed.

I want to see as many shout outs and guest appearances from the original as possible. :)

Okay back to the fun Star Wars discussion.....

I think we all know that this trilogy will give us some kind of swerve.

You can only pick one plot twist you wish would happen.

What would it be? :popcorn:

No spoiler tag needed.

Don't know if this would be considered a twist, but I'm sure all Star Wars fans hope it will happen. When the elder Skywalker shows up and kicks butt to save the day I'm pretty sure every theatre will explode. :)

That's the only thing I really don't know at this point...what involvement Luke has when they finally find him and how he'll affect the story afterward.

I'd love for (at the end of the film) Kylo Ren, his Knights and Phasma with their support troops to have the heroes cornered and outnumbered when Luke shows up...and have him single-handedly wipe the planet with them.

THAT would be awesome.

That's the only thing I really don't know at this point...what involvement Luke has when they finally find him and how he'll affect the story afterward.

I'd love for (at the end of the film) Kylo Ren, his Knights and Phasma with their support troops to have the heroes cornered and outnumbered when Luke shows up...and have him single-handedly wipe the planet with them.

THAT would be awesome.

I'd love this also!

Would also explain the total lack of exposure of Luke thus far.

THAT would be awesome.

I'd love this also!

Would also explain the total lack of exposure of Luke thus far.

Sounds plausible/probable.

However, it would kind of suck to kill off the baddie Kylo right away (like they did with Maul in the first movie).

When I was young, the rumor always was that in the 3rd trilogy that Luke goes over to the Dark Side. That would be a good twist. But, I think, I prefer Luke to stay the hero in the whole thing.

Stormtrooper: Captain, this room's clear, it's just some old woman.

Leia waves her hand an the stormtrooper is knocked out against the wall.

Or blaster flies from trooper's hand into hers.

Like Vader did in ESB!

Which Cartoon are you watching Jeff? Clone wars or Rebels?

I love Rebels. The 1st season has some old school Star Wars feel to it.

Good question. Which came 1st?

Stormtrooper: Captain, this room's clear, it's just some old woman.

Leia waves her hand an the stormtrooper is knocked out against the wall.

Or blaster flies from trooper's hand into hers.

Maybe the reason the Storm troopers could not shoot her and Luke is that she was using the Force unconsciously to affect their aim.